Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Had a problem depriming this brass
It has red primer coating, but primer hole looks like other brass

Any thoughts ?

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 04/12/22.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What exactly was the problem, Keith?

I haven't seen that brass, but if it's sealed, it's probably crimped too. Not much you can do about that until you get the primer out. frown

Politics is War by Other Means
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I posted of breaking/bending decapping pins on 5.56 brass similar to yours a while back and eventually learned they have a smaller than normal flash hole. It is kind of fooling as some of the primers will extract with more a bit more force than the norm but others will result in damaged or broken equipment. In those few that I was able to remove the primer, the new primer seated with normal force.

I determined this by hydraulically removing a primer on a case and tried inserting a drill bit that was a snug fit in a different case. The bit was too big to pass through the hole in the suspect case. That bag of brass ended up in the scrap bin. It was a test of one piece of brass but it was enough for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Woodmaster reminds me that a flash hole deburr tool will enlarge a small flash hole, even if the primer is still in the case.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Woodmaster reminds me that a flash hole deburr tool will enlarge a small flash hole, even if the primer is still in the case.

This works. Or turning the diameter of the pin down.

Lee, in their stupidity make pins too big for 6.5 creed moor small rifle primer brass. Then told me to not use the brass it was no good. LMAO., I could do the debut tool, but it was easy to chuck the stem in a drill and turn it small enough to work

I still laugh at the fact I could only find cheap lee dies at the time and they badmouth lapua brass...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Sorry, I had problems depriming
I think it may be small flash hole or heave crimp
I’ll set those aside

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
crimp rarely poses any problem. I think I can recall maybe 10 cases over probably at least 100,000 cases I've sized with a crimp that the primer didn't come out of.

Its flash hole size.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
I’ll set those aside

Is it range pickup or are you that desperate that you have to mess with that chidt? I'd toss the chidt and move on to something that gives less of a headache.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Is it range pickup or are you that desperate that you have to mess with that chidt? I'd toss the chidt and move on to something that gives less of a headache.
Great idea. Keith, I'll send you a flat rate box o brass if you pay shipping.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

223 brass is so damn plentiful around here that its not even worth the time fu cking with that kind of chidt. You hard up for brass Tyrone? ha ha..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

223 brass is so damn plentiful around here that its not even worth the time fu cking with that kind of chidt. You hard up for brass Tyrone? ha ha..

The way I read that English is Tyrone has plenty of brass and if Keith pays shipping Tyrone will send Keith a box of brass so he doesn't have to mess with what he has.

I might not mess with that brass right now. But I never throw brass away. Some day it may come in handy even if it just takes the time to turn down a pin...

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have buckets o' brass.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
I’ll set those aside

It was range pick up
I’m not keeping the problem brass

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I posted of breaking/bending decapping pins on 5.56 brass similar to yours a while back and eventually learned they have a smaller than normal flash hole. It is kind of fooling as some of the primers will extract with more a bit more force than the norm but others will result in damaged or broken equipment. In those few that I was able to remove the primer, the new primer seated with normal force.

I determined this by hydraulically removing a primer on a case and tried inserting a drill bit that was a snug fit in a different case. The bit was too big to pass through the hole in the suspect case. That bag of brass ended up in the scrap bin. It was a test of one piece of brass but it was enough for me.

I have found this brass as well. I don't remember what name is on the base. The primer hole is really small and usually off center.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

I have found this brass as well. I don't remember what name is on the base. The primer hole is really small and usually off center.

kwg
I've shot thousands if not tens of thousands PMC brass with off center flash holes. And some stupid good accuracy to boot. Never recall loosing a pin, but do keep that part loose just a bit anyway so it all self centers mostly.

Of course again the small part is EASY fix.

Just depends on how lazy we make ourselves or how bad we need something.

Just an FYI for others that might find same brass

I'm new to reloading 223/5.56 but have found that brass with a headstamp of "SAR 20 5.56x45" as a VERY small flash hole and will break my de-priming pin. I have only ran across 10~15 out of 1000 cases that I purchased, but still I have to sort through each piece of brass and either pull those with the SAR headstamp or look down in the case with a light at the size of the flash hole. I can't find any information on these cases via a Google search. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to purchase a flash hole deburring tool to enlarge the flash hole so my de-priming pin will work with them or just chuck them in my bad brass bucket.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-Jeff

"An armed society is a polite society"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JMSnodgrass
I'm new to reloading 223/5.56 but have found that brass with a headstamp of "SAR 20 5.56x45" as a VERY small flash hole and will break my de-priming pin. I have only ran across 10~15 out of 1000 cases that I purchased, but still I have to sort through each piece of brass and either pull those with the SAR headstamp or look down in the case with a light at the size of the flash hole. I can't find any information on these cases via a Google search. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to purchase a flash hole deburring tool to enlarge the flash hole so my de-priming pin will work with them or just chuck them in my bad brass bucket.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-Jeff

Jeff, have you read through this thread? You know what my suggestion is. How much is your time worth? Its not about having "buckets of brass either". That's the dumbest fu cking comment, as there is so much brass of .556/.223 rem flavor laying out on the ground, always, that a person never has to worry about finding brass for an AR. Damn, the last time I was at the range I could have picked up a 1,000+ pieces laying on the gravel. Its not worth my time or effort anymore, but it may be worth yours? Some guys get off on collecting buckets of brass. I have better things to do with my time. YMMV... If you are new to realoading, my best suggestion is to keep it simple. If you don't like bending/breaking your decapping pin be selective as to what brass you use. Toss the other chidt in the scrap bin. IF you do pick up brass from the range, learn what is good and what is crap. Nothing wrong with using range pick up brass either, just be selective and it will save you a lot of headache..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You might be surprised at how easy resolution is. Proper size drill bit will settle this quickly.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Jeff, have you read through this thread? You know what my suggestion is. How much is your time worth? Its not about having "buckets of brass either". That's the dumbest fu cking comment, as there is so much brass of .556/.223 rem flavor laying out on the ground, always, that a person never has to worry about finding brass for an AR. Damn, the last time I was at the range I could have picked up a 1,000+ pieces laying on the gravel. Its not worth my time or effort anymore, but it may be worth yours? Some guys get off on collecting buckets of brass. I have better things to do with my time. YMMV... If you are new to realoading, my best suggestion is to keep it simple. If you don't like bending/breaking your decapping pin be selective as to what brass you use. Toss the other chidt in the scrap bin. IF you do pick up brass from the range, learn what is good and what is crap. Nothing wrong with using range pick up brass either, just be selective and it will save you a lot of headache..

Yes, I read through the thread. To me it's not about just chucking the mentioned brass, it's about the challenge of making it work like the rest of my brass. I ended up buying a Redding Flash Hole Deburring Tool with 22 Caliber Pilot. It works great to open up the flash hole from the inside of the case then my normal Decapping/sizing die has no problem pushing out the spent primer. I then use a primer pocket cleaning tool to take off any burrs left from pushing a normal sized Decapping pin through the case.

Again, for me it is all about the challenge. YMMV.

-Jeff

"An armed society is a polite society"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,433
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.