#17155855 04/12/22
R
Redneck Online Content OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
.......are now OVER $4/dozen.... eek

Around here, the culprit has been the 'bird flu' affecting large turkey and chicken operations in MN and WI... What are they in your areas??

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
$2.50ish

FJB & FJT
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
50 lbs of feed every week or two.

But the ornamental ducks share in the banquet.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Redneck

Around here, the culprit has been the 'bird flu' affecting large turkey and chicken operations in MN and WI... What are they in your areas??

No clue and I was just at the store too....

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't bought eggs in a really long time. We've got a dozen or so layers and often give eggs away

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Haven't bought eggs in a really long time. We've got a dozen or so layers and often give eggs away

We’ve been getting farm fresh eggs from a friend lately, along with duck eggs.

I don’t see myself going back to store bought eggs again.

Duck eggs are amazing!

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We’re getting about a dozen per day from our hens. I don’t eat store bought eggs as I can’t stand the taste and texture but 8 or 10 eggs, bacon and hash browns along with a big glass of cold raw milk makes for a great dinner. We’ll be getting another 6 chicks soon and then another 6 in the fall….hopefully we’ll have a broody hen to raise them. Our favorite momma hen that raised several clutches for us over the years just succumbed to eagle predation. We’re hoping another hen steps up as a surrogate because it sure makes it easier.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Duck eggs are amazing! As soon as we get moved out to the ranch I'm getting ducks for sure. I'm the mean time chickens will do

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Redneck

Cost to me is a secure shelter for them in to sleep at night without concern for foxes and such, nest boxes in the hen house, clean water, some feed to supplement their daily foraging, and some land for them to forage on.

About half my flock:

[Linked Image]

One hen laying an egg:

[Linked Image]

Another one: (Actually, this is the broody one incubating her eggs last year)

[Linked Image]

Typical daily collection (actually, most days, I get six):

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing better !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Well, maybe the bacon, that goes with them !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
We’re getting about a dozen per day from our hens. I don’t eat store bought eggs as I can’t stand the taste and texture but 8 or 10 eggs, bacon and hash browns along with a big glass of cold raw milk makes for a great dinner. We’ll be getting another 6 chicks soon and then another 6 in the fall….hopefully we’ll have a broody hen to raise them. Our favorite momma hen that raised several clutches for us over the years just succumbed to eagle predation. We’re hoping another hen steps up as a surrogate because it sure makes it easier.

I had a hen go broody last year. She hatched out two and carefully raised them up.

It's amazing to watch a mother hen take care of her chicks.

I agree on the taste of store bought. Even the ones marked organic or free range stink.

I've been keeping free range laying hens since 2010. My immediate neighbors get free eggs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$2.57 for 18 extra large at Walmart yesterday.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
$6.19 a dozen for jumbo, up from $5.09 about four days prior.

They must deliver them with an armored truck w/security guards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Duck eggs are amazing! As soon as we get moved out to the ranch I'm getting ducks for sure. I'm the mean time chickens will do

Waiting on your ranch pictures here, once you and the family move.

Exciting stuff for you all.

👍🏼🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Duck eggs would be great.

But, I hear tell them critters like water..................and it's in short supply in these parts.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
$2.57 for 18 extra large at Walmart yesterday.

Walmart eggs???

Is that anything like salsa from New York City???

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
They were $4.55 last week at our local grocery store. Said F that and went to Dollar General to see what they were.... $3.50.

At the local grocery store (same as above) 15 minutes ago they were two dozen for $4.00 so I bought two dozen.

I prefer home grown but my buddies chicks ain't been laying lately.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

I had a hen go broody last year. She hatched out two and carefully raised them up.

It's amazing to watch a mother hen take care of her chicks.

I agree on the taste of store bought. Even the ones marked organic or free range stink.

I've been keeping free range laying hens since 2010. My immediate neighbors get free eggs.

It is incredible to watch the natural instincts of a broody hen take over. Our favorite momma hen, Mrs. Doubtfire, raised 5 or 6 broods. The first time we did it she was broody and one night while she was sleeping in her nesting box (because she was broody) my wife put 12 chicks under her. Imagine waking up one morning and finding 12 babies that you’re forced to raise? 😂 She was a wonderful mother and she had the “respect” of the rest of the flock so none of them were ever mean to the chicks. Mrs. Doubtfire raised somewhere around 40 chicks and I don’t recall her ever having one die…I think she successfully raised every chick to “adulthood”. 😁
Chickens are more fun than I expected. Watching them peck around and seeing their behavior is relaxing and often funny. The last rooster we had would jump as high as he could to pick blackberries and salmonberries. He’d drop them on the ground for the hens. There was a berry free zone from the ground up about 3 feet all along the back edge of the property. I don’t remember ever seeing him eat the berries himself as he always saw that the hens ate first while clucking and vocalizing about what a stud he is…..until he too was turned into eagle poop. 😫

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Get ours from a buddy's hens. $5/doz, they're worth it !

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
All over the place, but definitely higher than normal. We have been experiencing a great deal of chicken and turkey genocide around here.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.