Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brazos Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looks like they are going down again, judging by the Commission April meeting.

Not confirmed yet, but proposals show big cuts on most of the units I looked at.

Anyone know why? Was winter kill bad this year?

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Drought, winterkill an poor fawn recruitment in many areas. Should have cut doe licenses last year more but winter range needed some relief from too many mouths.
The big snow last spring really took down a large number in some areas of SE Wyoming.
Other areas had EHD issues.
Not a bad winter yet, hoping for 0 wet crusty snows this spring and maybe we'll get some fawns recruitment.
We're getting some green up now and looks like a little better soil moisture going into fawning season, based on snow fall scattered over the winter in our local wintering area and snow piled up behind the snow fences.
Some parts of the state are really struggling with drought and will need help this spring and summer.

Hoping to see many more twins and some triplets with the doe this summer.

Hoping someone in another part of the state chimes in for you on their conditions.

Brazos Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Comprehensive report, wytex.

Thank you.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
No antelope in Wyoming
Try Arizona.....

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Brazos Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffP
No antelope in Wyoming
Try Arizona.....

I'll meet ya there and buy you a cerveza!

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
At least wyoming actively manages their wildlife. Colorado manages on a 5 year plan, and even then they seldom do what's needed because they want revenue...

Sucks what has happened to Wyoming and the west in general. A pronghorn unit I was fond of was an every other year draw not long ago, now its 6-7 points 😖

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Numbers have been down a few years now and interest is up so every area is harder to draw now.

We did hear a couple of areas near us are doing pretty well, to the north. I should have included that tidbit. They are the exception though.
Drought is hard to combat, if it's not limiting forage then it's EHD or something like that that will pop up and hit a herd.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Go kill coyotes and bobcats, that always helps.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by wytex
Drought, winterkill an poor fawn recruitment in many areas. Should have cut doe licenses last year more but winter range needed some relief from too many mouths.
The big snow last spring really took down a large number in some areas of SE Wyoming.
Other areas had EHD issues.
Not a bad winter yet, hoping for 0 wet crusty snows this spring and maybe we'll get some fawns recruitment.
We're getting some green up now and looks like a little better soil moisture going into fawning season, based on snow fall scattered over the winter in our local wintering area and snow piled up behind the snow fences.
Some parts of the state are really struggling with drought and will need help this spring and summer.

Hoping to see many more twins and some triplets with the doe this summer.

Hoping someone in another part of the state chimes in for you on their conditions.

SE MT saw some ugly Pronghorn declines in 2021 as well. Tags dropped by 30% vs. 2020. NR Applications were up 25% and the net result was that NR draw odds went from a fairly stable ~25% down to 12.5%, from 2020 to 2021.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thankfully Wyoming allows you to wait until July 1 to put your antelope application in. But don’t forget that date. July second will creep up on a guy.....

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah looks like a 50% cut in Non Resident tags this season. I have 3 good friends who come from Nevada ever year to hunt with me, and they may not get to do it this year.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thankfully Wyoming allows you to wait until July 1 to put your antelope application in. But don’t forget that date. July second will creep up on a guy.....

If you're waiting til July to apply then you'll not get a licenses unless it's a leftover.
May 31 is the initial draw deadline, not July.

We killed coyotes on their winter range this past year as we went up to check traps. Saw coyotes most times we were going up and stopped every time to take a shot.
Coyotes don't kill as many as a late deep snow or a bad winter but they sure don't help. Not many bobcats out on the sage flats where they hang out most of the time but there are some.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Pronghorn are one of the species they do not count every year, they estimate based on a few transects driven I believe.
They did fly and do counts last year and maybe year before and saw the declines then, should have reduced licenses a few years back on doe tags to help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by szihn
Yeah looks like a 50% cut in Non Resident tags this season. I have 3 good friends who come from Nevada ever year to hunt with me, and they may not get to do it this year.

How will the reduction affect landowner tags?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Brazos Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by szihn

Fingers crossed for your friends. Quality time!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
wytex
Work with me........

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Is there a link that shows the proposed allocation by unit? Apparently my Google fu sucks. I can't find any info. Thanks.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
wytex
Work with me........

lol, I get it now. Sorry about that.

No landowner transferrable tags in Wyoming but it could affect the LO quota they can draw from.

Here you go Rick: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/con...0Regulations/CH-5-Draft-03-16-2022-3.pdf

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good luck as well, for your friends Brazos.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by wytex
wytex
Work with me........

lol, I get it now. Sorry about that.

No landowner transferrable tags in Wyoming but it could affect the LO quota they can draw from.

Here you go Rick: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/con...0Regulations/CH-5-Draft-03-16-2022-3.pdf

Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.