Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17154626 04/12/22
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
So I am getting into shoot 22LR on a club level but also looking at maybe going to a few RAR matches. Starting out I want to try and stay in a factory class and not go full blown unlimited class. The local club shoot that I am going to shoot at (and shot at last month) I can use the two rifles I have (Remington 40X, and Anschutz 1411) but those are not allowed in the RAR factory class matches.
Per the RAR factory rifle rules, the rifle can not exceed $1000 MSRP and has to be in production.
My question is, what would be a good rifle to use in that class, under those rules. Here is the exact rule: Oh and it has to have the factory barrel, but you can change the trigger

8.4.1.1. Any magazine or tube fed rifle in production that is readily available and produced in
quantities greater than 500 with MSRP of LESS than $1000.00 or is included on the
ARA approved factory rifle list.

Here is a list of Approved rifles:

APPROVED FACTORY RIFLE LIST
MANUFACTURER
MODEL
Browning
All Models except the Model 52
CZ
All Models including those in current production. EXCEPT Brno CZ
Henry
All Models
Husqvarna
Marlin
All Models EXCEPT all variations of Model 2000
Mossberg
All Model 46 Variations, Model 340B, All Models US 44C w/magazine
Norinco
NS522
Remington
All Models EXCEPT All variations of Model 37, 40X, 504, 513, 540, 541
Ruger
All Models
Savage
All Models EXCEPT any that are Savage/Anschutz
Sears
Ted Williams Model 34
Smith & Wesson
All Models
Thompson Center
R55 Benchmark
Weatherby
Mark XXII
Winchester
All Models EXCEPT Model 52 and Model 75

These are Excluded form the factory rifle class:

EXCLUDED FACTORY RIFLE LIST
The following rifles have been reviewed and are not approved for ARA Factory Class. Please, do not send a request in for these as they have already been reviewed.

Anschutz - Not Approved
Bergara B14 - Not approved
Browning Model 52 - Not approved
Cooper 57 - Not approved
CZ Bruno - Not Approved
Kimber - All Models Not approved
Lithgow LA101 - Not approved
Marlin Model 2000 Variations - Not Approved
Remington 504 - Not approved
Remington Models 37, 40X, 504, 513, 540, 541- Not approved
Sako - Not Approved
Stevens Ranger - Not approved
Styer Zephyr II - Not approved
Vudoo Series 1 Renegade - Not Approved
Winchester Model 52 & 75 - Not Approved

Thanks

Last edited by pullit; 04/12/22.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That's kind of a crap shoot, but the CZ 457 seems to be the most popular. It's the closest thing to a Winchester 52 on there.

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't shoot competition so none of that means much to me..

But what I do know....

I shoot sage rats with a CZ 452, that I paid $200 when they were first imported for that rifle...

I can go down to Walmart, when a box of Federal 550 pack was $9.00, and go out and from a rest do head shots on a Ground Squirrel
out to 125 yds with it....all day long...

with 30,000 plus rounds down the barrel.. it still will do the same thing....

and that was with a $75 Tasco 4 x 16 scope on top no less...

that got upgraded to a Bushnell AR 223 scope on top now in 4.5 x 18 power...

of course If I knew back when, of what I know now... I have to admit.. I'd have bought a Browning Win 52 in the early 80s, and/or a Remington 541 T...
or one of those Win 75s I've come across here and there over the last 40 years....

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Pardon my ignorance, what is RAR ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
American Rimfire Association

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
That's kind of a crap shoot, but the CZ 457 seems to be the most popular. It's the closest thing to a Winchester 52 on there.

Yeah, them not allowing the 52 is funny..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Must be some new WOKE rules or something. I can understand. I'd hate to see someone get their azz whooped by a guy using a 60 or 80 year old rifle. Makes sense. In that case, use a Savage MKII FVT. They are well under $1,000.00 and come equipped with good sights:

Even in bone stock factory form they are shooting mother fuggers..:
First 10 shot group with this rifle:

Here's the last 10 shot group I shot with it, right before my clubs know your limits shoot:
That's cheap ammo right there boys. I buy it at Wally world for $21/box. Today's prices.

Put the rifle away and used his brother in that shoot. That rifle is a Savage MK1 FVT target rifle with Boyds stock with a rimfire scope on top. That rifle shoots with the best of them. So, I guess since you are very limited to what you can use, I'd Buy a target model Savage or CZ like others are suggesting. I see the Bergara B14 is also on the list of not approved rifles. You are very limited. Good luck with that.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I started shooting ARA a couple of years ago with a CZ457 and a 8-34 Athlon scope. It is the best shooter in the price range required. Later I got into ABRA which separates classes by barrel diameter. The factory CZ barrel put me in the “big boys” class so I bought a Lilja replacement barrel that was a smaller diameter. Now if I shoot ABA, a barrel swap puts me back in compliance. The Lilja barrel is not kosher in ARA. Two set screws holds the barrel in place so the swap is easy, just needs rezeroing and some settling shots. I am very pleased with the CZ.

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I really am thinking hard about a CZ, but the rules seem to contradict each other. It says " Any magazine or tube fed rifle in production that is readily available and produced in
quantities greater than 500 with MSRP of LESS than $1000.00 or is included on the ARA approved factory rifle list."

Then it says "CZ, All Models including those in current production. EXCEPT Brno CZ"

There are several models of CZ 457's that are well over the $1000 mark, and I guess the "Approved List" trumps the $1000 rule, but don't know that for sure.
I would not mind one of the CZ 457 MTR's in the Walnut stock but nobody seems to have them right now.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pullit
Then it says "CZ, All Models including those in current production. EXCEPT Brno CZ"
Yeah, that's perplexing. The CZ 452 also known as Brno Model Two, for example.
Hopefully, someone who knows more about match grade .22s than me will chime in.

But I think you are pretty safe with a 452 or 457.

Politics is War by Other Means
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know that some of the 457"s are well over $1k but I guess that does not matter based on the "all models" statement

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pullit
I really am thinking hard about a CZ, but the rules seem to contradict each other. It says " Any magazine or tube fed rifle in production that is readily available and produced in
quantities greater than 500 with MSRP of LESS than $1000.00 or is included on the ARA approved factory rifle list."

There are several models of CZ 457's that are well over the $1000 mark, and I guess the "Approved List" trumps the $1000 rule, but don't know that for sure.
I would not mind one of the CZ 457 MTR's in the Walnut stock but nobody seems to have them right now.

Interesting as CZ has a MSRP of 865.00 on the MTR so it doesn’t break the 1 K rule. Also MSRP on most CZ 22 LR is under 1K.

The excluded rifles were considered true match target rifles, not factory plain Jane off the shelf in any gun store rifles. They had that rule in most factory class score matches for Centerfire. If it said match grade or target grade in the description it was considered custom class not factory. Keeps it fair. That is until someone bitches and they change the rules.

Swifty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my Marlin 2000 single shot i paid new $400.00 is not legal and was made in America but a foriegn made CZ for a $1000.00 is ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
my Marlin 2000 single shot i paid new $400.00 is not legal and was made in America but a foriegn made CZ for a $1000.00 is ?

Is it magazine or tube fed? Also states must be a repeater. Both those disqualifies single shots right.

Swifty
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Interesting as CZ has a MSRP of 865.00 on the MTR so it doesn’t break the 1 K rule. Also MSRP on most CZ 22 LR is under 1K.

I would still like to get a MTR as I think the weight might help it ride the bag a little better when you start to squeeze the trigger. (not as easy to disturb the rifle)

I was referring to the CZ in the Manners stock (don't know the model) that a lot of guys are using in the 22 PRS matches and they are around $1400. This is well over the $1K number but is a current CZ 457 model, so I guess they would be legal.

Last edited by pullit; 04/13/22.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Most of the ones I've played bench rest games with are on your no-go list. But that Thompson Center R-55 Benchmark that's an auto loader. In a big heavy laminate stock. I had one of these and that thing shot extremely well get out shot any CZ 452 I've got or ever had it shot almost as good as my 40x with a custom Sheilen barrel. Problem was the magazines are extremely hard to find in extremely expensive. But if you happen to come across one of these they shouldn't be too awful expensive under 500 bucks anyway and that one shot really good and the trigger wasn't too bad. Maybe I got a flute and maybe not I would gamble on one again if I found a source of cheaper magazines

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
In the local club matches I can use my 40X in factory class and in the 2 matches I have shot, I finished 2nd and 3rd with it.
Mt Anschutz needs a lighter trigger spring and I am still looking for what type ammo it likes.
The local club has looser rules than ARA does, so I am legal with either in factory class.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Seems weird on the face of it but I get where they're coming from - trying to maintain an even playing field I guess.

Those fellas wouldn't like the .22 rimfire BR game I play, which has even more archaic policies. ASSRA (American Single Shot Rifle Association) rules state falling block single shot rifles only. It took years for them to allow BSA Martini's with their tilting blocks. Our .22 BR competition is done at 100 yards, for group and for score. Score targets are double bulls and each gets 5 shots in it. If you can't keep all your shots inside the 3/4" 25-ring you may as well go home. Sub-1/2MOA groups, ditto. (Piece of cake you say? "My XYZ will group 1/4" at 50 yards all day long." That extra 50 yards out to 100 may as well be a mile if there's even a mild breeze blowing....)

So, if I read y'all right, my 50 year old BRNO #2 wouldn't qualify? It's a lightweight bolt action clip fed sporter of which many thousands were made.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't make the rules, just trying to play by them.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Those ARA matches have just been introduced at our club. At first, I was interested, but was running into the same issues trying to determine what I could get that was allowed. They've been running two or three months now and made it very easy for me: The matches are over on the rifle side of the club on the same monthly schedule as IDPA on the pistol side. I guess I'll stick with IDPA.

Mathew 22: 37-39

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bought a CZ457 MTR to try this game out. I hope to get it first part of next week

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
671 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,746 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.