Originally Posted by XBOLT51
I'd walk away from it

I'd run

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
When you don't own the property why do you feel that you should have exclusive access or make rules as to who does ?

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Jeez, at least meet up and talk to the nephew. Find out what his intentions and expectations are and go from there. He may be only out for a trophy only or just fill a tag. Does he intend to bring all his buddies or keep it limited. He is not the landowner either. Talk to the landowner and maybe have a meeting with landowner, nephew and everyone involved. Maybe work on some rules and exchange phone numbers too.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Jon_In_Va
Originally Posted by XBOLT51
I'd walk away from it

I'd run

Damn right me too.....I quit hunting private land many years ago ( way too much drama) and have never looked back.....Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Damn right me too.....I quit hunting private land many years ago ( way too much drama) and have never looked back.....Hb

Same here - I haven't hunted private land in probably 25 years. No need, Kansas has more public hunting than I could hunt in a lifetime and I've gone entire rifle deer seasons without seeing another hunter afield.

IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Same here - I haven't hunted private land in probably 25 years. No need, Kansas has more public hunting than I could hunt in a lifetime and I've gone entire rifle deer seasons without seeing another hunter afield.

Thats great! I love hunting vast tracts of public land. I have not hunted private land since 2001, I said goodby to the drama šŸ‘......Hb

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd wait it out. The nephew may be a very casual or opening day only kind of hunter. I'd keep it through one more season.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd leave... I just don't want the intrusion and people hunting the wrong winds and "scouting" all the time etc... not for me. Too many other good places to hunt to have several people crowded in on 65 acres every week.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your not paying for it I would keep it as an available option but look around for some more. I wouldn't invest on any food plots or that sort of improvement. The other guys interest may disintegrate quickly. Iā€™m on a 4000 acre lease with 9 other hunters and you have the same concerns even on a big tract.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by CBB
From a 65 acre property I've had exclusive permission to for the last 10 years. The landowner nephew and buddies are now allowed to hunt it.. Nephew is 20 something maybe 30..
Anyway I don't want to invest my time and $ into a property where others are benefitting.

Landowner offered to have the new crew split work and cost of plots and such. Just opens up cans of worms I don't feel like dealing with. I prefer to hunt away from others. Unless family. I don't want to hunt where someone else just fogged it up not knowing how to hunt the wind or properly enter and exit..

My hunting buddy and son think we should hold on if we can keep archery secured.

I think we should bail.

We killed a pile of deer there and some damn good ones. Hate to end the memories but hate a hassle also.

Have you hunted with them before? How do you know they're "going to fog it up" and not work as hard as you? They might work harder and hunt better than you do....give them a chance any maybe you can all benefit. It kinda sounds like the landowner is doing you a favor by giving you a chance to hunt it even though he's going to let his family hunt it now.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CBB

Landowner offered to have the new crew split work and cost of plots and such. Just opens up cans of worms I don't feel like dealing with. I prefer to hunt away from others. Unless family. I don't want to hunt where someone else just fogged it up not knowing how to hunt the wind or properly enter and exit..

Sure sounds cheaper than buying land.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Good things end, went last weekend to get two stands I had on a lease, 14 hunters killed one legal deer in two years.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 04/13/22.
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by hanco
Good things end, went last weekend to get two stands I had on a lease, 14 hunters killed one legal deer in two years.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Been watching your posts thinking that same thing

Hunt...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you should give it a chance.
These fellas might be some really good-hearted guys.

Texas
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CBB
From a 65 acre property I've had exclusive permission to for the last 10 years. The landowner nephew and buddies are now allowed to hunt it.. Nephew is 20 something maybe 30..
Anyway I don't want to invest my time and $ into a property where others are benefitting.

My hunting buddy and son think we should hold on if we can keep archery secured.

I think we should bail.

We killed a pile of deer there and some damn good ones. Hate to end the memories but hate a hassle also.

been there, plot no one had hunted, I started putting out corn ect, the the land owner buddies were there to reap the benifits, I pulled my feeders and left

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Seems every time I lose a piece of property another one comes available. I had a 2 acre tract in a suburban Atlanta that was awesome. Killed lots of deer and several nice bucks over a 10 year period. Then one day the owner gave permission to another guy. The guy put his blind up 3 yards away from my climber when I went to the store at lunch. Came back an hour later to get back in the stand and he was sitting in his blind. Public land in Georgia means hordes of people unless you plan on hunting weekdays and walking 2-3 miles in. Which means you're dragging a deer 2-3 miles back. I bought a house with 30 acres and then bought 25 acres adjoining it. Best investment ever. NO more dealing with jack asses.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Jeepers! That is one tough deer!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Jeepers! That is one tough deer!

We all shot him 3 times!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by gunswizard
When you don't own the property why do you feel that you should have exclusive access or make rules as to who does ?

I was about to say the same thing. The whole post reeks of entitlement. Unless the OP is paying a fee for the privilege.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sounds like a My House My Rules situation. If I didn't like the new setup Id leave it to the guy's nephew. I got two small farms of my own to hunt so I'm set in two states.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.