Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Idg397: Good find on your part.
Never miss a chance to go to a gunshow - never know what you will find.
In fact back in 1969 I attended a gunshow where I found and bought a Winchester pre-64 Model 70 Standard Rifle in 30/06 caliber.
The serial number dates it to May 3rd of 1954 production.
It has been a sweetheart for me since day one.
I have only tried ONE bullet in this Rifle and I suggest it to you - the wonderful, accurate and reliable Nosler 165 grain Partition!
Over the next 3 1/2 decades I harvested all manner of Big Game with it including Mt. Goat, Elk, Antelope, 3 species of Deer and Black Bear with this Rifle ammo combo.
Back in about 2,006 - 2,007 I "retired" this Rifle and am still letting it enjoy its well deserved time off.
I hope YOU will be as happy with your gunshow find as I have been with mine.
By the way I originally mounted a Leupold 3x9 variable scope on it - later I "up-graded" to a Leupold 3.5x10 variable.
Again good for you - and if you intend to Hunt with it be sure to try that Nosler Partition.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Ldg397, if you are worried about it, check out Dan Early wine @ Stewmac.com. He fixes a lot of older guitars with cracks and such using a very thin type of super glue . It is available through them.
It is in a fine tipped syringe and is invisible.

FTR , No way I could have walked out of that shop without that rifle. Nice find,good on ya!

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Were it mine, and I wish it were as we’re the same age, I’d do some fixing myself. I’d not want it to grow larger, and it can be done invisibly.

I would chisel a small canal along the crack under the buttplate. I would then drill a hole, about 1/8” in diameter, at the very end of the crack, about an inch or even a bit longer. I’d do the same at the top or tip under the buttplate, as well as several along the crack. I would then use AcraGlas Gel, colored to match the wood, and work the epoxy into all those holes with toothpicks, then spread it like peanut butter in the little canal. I would use a straight edge of some kind to get rid of excess epoxy. Coat the buttplate with release agent (or wax, PAM, etc.), then screw it on normally. You should not have excess that squishes out, but if you do, just wipe it off.

In the top of the stock which shows in the photos, I would use Super Glue. This will seal the crack from the outside. Wipe off excess immediately. You may want to do this a couple times.

This sounds more complex than it is, and I only suggest AcraGlas as it’s easily available from Brownell’s and I have had much success with it. Many other epoxies would work well also.

The big idea is to hog enough wood from the crack to allow the epoxy to bind and hold strongly. The Super Glue trick was passed to me by David Trevallion.

Last edited by GF1; 04/15/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Personally, I'd probably just use the superglue trick, or even some tru oil. If only to seal that area. It really doesn't appear to be a crack, like someone else mentioned about the area toward the front where it goes against the grain. Appears to be a scratch, as if it were a crack it would not do that. It would continue to follow the grain of the wood. Also, I went out and found a gem of a 30-06 fwt today. Not entirely original though, with its Mcmillan and $400.00 Leupold on top with Conetrol rings and bases. Other than that it is entirely original. Good thing I know where that primo fwt stock is hiding out at an old gunsmith's shop. Should be a great addition to the collection. It will make a great hunter, just the way it is. I may even leave the old VariX III 3.5-10x40 on top as the whole rifle is set up just right for hunting.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Nice looking classic,
hopefully it's just a scratch, otherwise glue it up and go enjoy it just the same.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Well done. The last thing I need is another 30-06 but for $900 I would have grabbed that one in a heartbeat.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
B
B
Really nice!

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I bought a Pre-64 30/06 Featherweight that had 13 rds. through it for $1000.00. I have the original box and paperwork. This was several years ago.

L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Took it out of the stock yesterday to change out the swivels yesterday. I don’t think it has ever been out of the stock it was covered in a layer of grime under the stock. About 5 minutes with some clp and a rag it wiped right off looks brand new under there. My new swivel wouldn’t thread into the existing so I took it as a sign it needs to stay I will buy a different sling to work.

Considering upgrading to a gloss leupold for hunting use. Looks like the most common are the vari x iii 3.5x10x40 and the vari x IIc 3x9x40. I also see a lot of m8 6x. What do you guys have on yours? Looks the first two maybe a little longer giving me more mounting options.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you can find an older 2.5x8 they seem to have some decent tube length on them as well. The M8 6x is a nice one as well. They garner a lot of money used for what they are, but if that’s what completes the package I’m sure you’ll forget about the price soon enough.

Semper Fi
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

I’d use a M8 4X.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Been looking for a gloss vxiii 3.5x10x40 and the prices are nuts. Found a mint matte vx3 I couldn’t pass up. Will see how it works if i really like it may send away to get the cerakote gloss coating.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ldg397
Been looking for a gloss vxiii 3.5x10x40 and the prices are nuts. Found a mint matte vx3 I couldn’t pass up. Will see how it works if i really like it may send away to get the cerakote gloss coating.

Good luck with the Leupy. I just sold my 3.5-10x40.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I shouldn’t have any problem I usually set it and forget it. I am not much of a dialer prefer to hold.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Resist the urge to modify it or "make it better".

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Resist the urge to modify it or "make it better".

If its "all original", that is great advice. If not, its fair game. The rifle I just bought, someone made it "better". I sold the leupold that was on it and am in the process of selling the bases and rings. When that happens, I'll have $300.00 into the rifle and its still worth $1,000.00+. Its all in how you see things.. I just bought a Tikka yesterday and someone did a lot of things to "make it better". I added up the cost of the stock, mountain tactical bottom metal, picatinny rail, and new bolt handle and the sum of parts were as much as I paid for the rifle. Ha ha.. Doesn't get much better than that.. plus the shop owner threw in a new set of Leupold 30mm rings. When I got there, he asked the typical question: "hi, what you looking for". I said a great deal, my typical response, you have any of those? He said, "pick any rifle and I'll make you a great deal". As for making said rifle "better". He can do that without hurting the originality and value of the rifle. A Mcmillan is a great example of that. Just keep the original stock stored safely so he can return it back to original if he ever wants. That's the beauty in these rifles. I wouldn't cut an original stock to put a recoil pad on it. If original, I probably wouldn't glass bed it either. He did good on the deal and can always make his money back. Cool deal as far as I'm concerned. Now I want to see how it shoots and looks when he gets it topped with that Leupold.

BSA MAGA
L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Plan is to not change anything but the optics and go kill stuff. Maybe put a sealer of some kind under the steel butt plate but that is about it.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
way better than a post-64 1954...

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Found an really nice original 1953 m70 in 30-06. I'd post a pic but can't downsize them with this phone

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Post em up. This kind of thread makes me want to go and search for more of these old rifles. As if I wasn't bad enough as it was..

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 77 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.