Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
With steel prices getting nuts here directly... I decided to put my roofs on first... before building on the cabins.

I.e. For the cost of a 26 gauge final roof (per square)... I stood up a plumb, level and square structural frame underneath (almost the same $ anyway).

I will build SIPs on a deckover trailer back home... deliver... and stand up between the steel. Steel is 4' grid (legs and girts). Legs are 17' and the ridge is 22' +/- (i.e. I am getting to damn old to set fugging ridge beams @ 22')

"Mama Bear" is a simple two story cabin. It will have a 10' x 20' first floor vestibule with HUGE barn doors and a 10' x 20' first floor front porch in front of the vestibule... It will also have a 10 x 20 2nd floor porch.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I don't really draw plan on simple stuff anymore... just a couple of notepad sketches so the guys helping... get the general idea.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The overall madness bumping builds and cabins up the mountain to Laura's FINAL and PROPER home (NOT built of 12 gauge tube steel).

All pics (unsorted as of yet) in this link... https://photos.app.goo.gl/TNpvsyMkB83pGaYS6

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
A man with a plan. I like it.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
"Baby Bear" is a tiny 12' x 12' cabin... same gig... 17' legs... First and second floor porches. It is smaller than "Mama Bear" because we had to cut a right hard stone bank.

Grade are kinda extreme (any concrete over 7.8 CY ends up on the road... and backing a truck up the mountain is not an option... hell, only one driver has the balls to even deliver to me). WV is NO JOKE on building chit!

Costs?

I hope to finish out Baby Bear for under $25k and Mama Bear for under $55k... Might end up $30k and $60k... time will tell.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Unsorted pics of Baby Bear... https://photos.app.goo.gl/L7PZ5Rq492ToUDHs6

--------------------------------------------------

Unsorted pics from last fall of Metal Buildings, concrete work and closed cell foam...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D3EVwsEsLJMVdgDz9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fWdU4H7FooPrhpwo9

Love it or hate it... don't really matter...

If I can stand up 5 for $200k... it will be a general accomplishment toward the final home.

Final home will be where the walnut, cherry, ambrosia maple (https://photos.app.goo.gl/cQyassR6qxpQzArj7) start to happen...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Are you planning to airbnb the cabins? Or are they for family?

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hopefully those sails don’t tear off the stilts in the wind.
That’s an awful lot of work to get electrical to the top of that mountain, but I can certainly see how it penciled out to do it that way.
Gotta admire a man with a plan.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Are you planning to airbnb the cabins? Or are they for family?

Do not plan to rent...

Laura and I have had a fair bit of loss in the past couple of years... the are "Respite" cabins for folks that have gone thru similar loss (...talk to your God on top of a mountain kinda stuff). Also a place for me to stay while I build the final house... hunting cabins... backpacker/climber cabins... folks/friends fishing the native trout steams... etc. Nothing really complicated.

Once you start renting stuff... it gets kinda hard to turn down freak-show people.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
That’s an awful lot of work to get electrical to the top of that mountain, but I can certainly see how it penciled out to do it that way.

Copy THAT...

The SIPs should lock her up pretty good once I get them installed.

As for work... I kinda like to build stuff... make the beer taste better.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Leonard, it is great to see that you are following through on this project, particularly with material prices as high as they are. I was wondering if the material pricing would back you down a bit. I’m sure the logistics of building in that area creates a challenge as well. Keep us posted on your progress.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
A good thing that you are doing Cash!
Don't know exactly where in WV that you are but would love to day trip up some day and check it all out.

On the overnight rental, wife won't let just anyone stay at our Tenn house.

In 3-1/2 years we have one person that is on her 'never again' list.

FJB & FJT
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Looks like it'll be a pain in the ass for the builder.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Leonard, it is great to see that you are following through on this project, particularly with material prices as high as they are. I was wondering if the material pricing would back you down a bit. I’m sure the logistics of building in that area creates a challenge as well. Keep us posted on your progress.

Jeremy bought a new super high end sawmill... his lumber is really accurate now. Computerized machine... very slick!

$1 BF on pine and $1.50 on oak.

He will also saw my logs at a very low rate. We will get the Final house lumber milled this summer. Walnut, cherry, white oak... and even a couple mantels of American chestsnut... One year per 4/4 on the air dry.

I also stockpiled a bunch of sheet goods back when prices were down... 5'x5' Russian plywood at $11.50 a sheet. Nothing I build will see OSB or OxBoard et al.

Thank for the encouragement...

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Raeford
A good thing that you are doing Cash!
Don't know exactly where in WV that you are but would love to day trip up some day and check it all out.

On the overnight rental, wife won't let just anyone stay at our Tenn house.

In 3-1/2 years we have one person that is on her 'never again' list.

Drop me a PM with an email... we will get y'all up once we make some headway...

About 45 minutes from Harrisonburg VA... up and over Shenandoah.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm looking forward to finished pictures. I'm about to build, or have built, my first barn.
Rick

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by RickinTN
I'm about to build, or have built, my first barn.
Rick

SWEET!

Good stuff...

Best of luck to you...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Gonna be some great viewing from those 2nd story porches........good luck with the build.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by CashisKing
[I also stockpiled a bunch of sheet goods back when prices were down... 5'x5' Russian plywood at $11.50 a sheet. Nothing I build will see OSB or OxBoard et al.

Thank for the encouragement...

Man if you had a warehouse full you could pay off the national debt! An older pal who who has a bad shoulder asked me to help him pick up to 2 -4x4 sheets of Baltic a while back and it was over $70 bucks per sheet. I'd be interested to hear about your plans for building the SIPs and how you attach them to the frame.

BTW This is a great project and I appreciate you posts.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

I'd rather have had my own diesel/solar power plant.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Leonard I don't plan to move from where we're at but if we did I'd like for it to be a place like you're building. What fantastic views you'll have. I can envision sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee enjoying the peace and quiet and forgetting about some of the hard days in life if only for a little while. What a wonderful place you all are going to have and all the best to you in your endevors!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I built my shop the same way- - - -a 24 X 40 foot glorified carport on a 6" thick concrete slab, with 12 foot walls, erected by a crew of wetbacks in one day, and added walls. doors, and electricity as I could afford them. The walls are 12 foot tall aluminum siding rolled by a local sheet metal roof manufacturer. I've expanded it twice as the equipment inventory outgrew the available space.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 52 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,088
Posts18,463,966
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.