Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
What are the government profile barrels primarily used for? I notice some great deals pop up on them from time to time. Would these be more ideal for long-range hunting type shooting or are they more geared towards self-defense type situations?

ARIC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good question crazycoot. I believe my Colt has what they refer to as the govt. profile barrel. It is the sporter target model. These barrels are a full pound lighter than a HBAR, but shoot very well despite the lighter barrel profile. With iron sights it shoots less than 1.5 moa consistently:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Good enough for plinking with.

When comparing it to my buddies HBAR, it is more lively off the bench, but is much lighter and feels more nimble when shooting from field positions, such as offhand. I prefer the lighter weight personally.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've also seen these govt profile barrels on sale lately and am thinking about buying one for my A2 Upper receiver that is sitting idle..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrazyCoot
What are the government profile barrels primarily used for? I notice some great deals pop up on them from time to time. Would these be more ideal for long-range hunting type shooting or are they more geared towards self-defense type situations?

As I recall the government profile was to prevent the barrel from bending if the user was too aggressive with the bayonet. The last few inches of the barrel were made heavier to prevent the bending while the portion under the hand guard did not need that extra weight since it was supported by the handguard between the front sight and the receiver nut. I'm sure someone will be along to expound on this soon enough.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kwg020

As I recall the government profile was to prevent the barrel from bending if the user was too aggressive with the bayonet. The last few inches of the barrel were made heavier to prevent the bending while the portion under the hand guard did not need that extra weight since it was supported by the handguard between the front sight and the receiver nut. I'm sure someone will be along to expound on this soon enough.

kwg

Oh yes. I should have been more specific. I understand how the government profile was created. Just wondering what that profile would be ideal for. Short range, home defense, long-range, varmint hunting, etc.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The extra material was left from the gas block to the threads on the A2 to improve accuracy. It’s still a chrome lined combat barrel shooting, at the time, 62 grain ball ammo.

It does not turn it into a target barrel but as said here many times by myself and others, there’s not much you can’t do with a 1.5-2” gun.

I still prefer the A1 pencil barrels…

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
The extra material was left from the gas block to the threads on the A2 to improve accuracy. It’s still a chrome lined combat barrel shooting, at the time, 62 grain ball ammo.

It does not turn it into a target barrel but as said here many times by myself and others, there’s not much you can’t do with a 1.5-2” gun.

I still prefer the A1 pencil barrels…

Eat your wheaties boy...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can carry you, your rifle and my A1 as far as I need to.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
I can carry you, your rifle and my A1 as far as I need to.

LOL. Not sure I can carry him, but I bet close. My daily walks are with 100 pounds in the pack...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The govt profile is mass-produced so it's generally available and comes in at a good price. It's a jack-of-all-trades, master of none.

Most of my 5.56 barrels are govt profile, it's a good all-arounder that shoots good enough for general purpose use.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
bsa boy is such a dumbass…..

IC B3

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've got a new barrel coming that weighs about the same as a govt profile but has the most weight at the chamber then tapers out to a .625 gas block journal on down to a pencil sized muzzle. Noveske kinda had the same concept but didn't quite go this far. It's a Criterion CORE, 18" chrome lined and hand lapped, I'm anxious to get it in.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by TWR
I've got a new barrel coming that weighs about the same as a govt profile but has the most weight at the chamber then tapers out to a .625 gas block journal on down to a pencil sized muzzle. Noveske kinda had the same concept but didn't quite go this far. It's a Criterion CORE, 18" chrome lined and hand lapped, I'm anxious to get it in.

It would seem to make more sense to have the most meat on the barrel closer to the receiver. I like the idea of a barrel .750" to the front of the gas journal, then .625" or so to the muzzle.

I think the govt profile was designed kind of azz backwards, thinner under the handguards, and larger diameter forward. But then it has been my opinion that the A2 rifle was designed more for the square range, than for a battle rifle. So, I figure the govt profile was to add some muzzle stabilizing weight for offhand shooting, while still coming in under a maximum overall weight requirement.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Pretty close from what I understand. The difference now is we are adding lights, lasers, suppressors and who knows what else out there on the front end. Bringing the mass back to the rear helps balance things out.

I remember a guy saying years ago that he had 15 pounds of light weight gear on his rifle. It was an exaggeration at the time but not far from reality in todays world.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

kwg

Oh yes. I should have been more specific. I understand how the government profile was created. Just wondering what that profile would be ideal for. Short range, home defense, long-range, varmint hunting, etc.

I have complete confidence in kwg’s assessment. The gov’t profile is ideal for drive-by stabbings.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

kwg

This question was also asked on Arfcom. As it turns out the folks doing the research and development on the new A2 rifles believed the A1 barrels were bending during/after bayonet training. They assumed this when they dropped a test piece down the barrel and the test piece did not go all the way through. That is when the Government profile was born. As it turned out, the barrels were not bent. It seemed the copper on the bullets was stripping off at the gas hole and leaving just a little mound of copper inside of the barrel and that is why the test piece would not drop through. But, it was too late, the Government barrel had been born and the contracts were already signed. The end result is what you see now.

Without some big hairy study a person might or might not prove the Government profile is more accurate than the straight .750 barrel. I can understand the extra stiffness of the heavier barrel just past the gas block or front sight. Although, it's my thought the barrel is going to flex at the receiver end more than the muzzle end at every shot.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TWR

Yes, those sound like a great barrels.
I wouldn't mind doing a couple builds with those myself. Let us know what you think. They look really interesting.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
https://www.everydaymarksman.co/equipment/government-profile-barrel/

It started due to bent barrels which were not but stayed because the TDP was set in stone and accuracy or shootability was increased.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The funny thing about the whole bent barrel deal. It doesn't take an engineering Phd to grasp that leverage at the muzzle/bayonet end of the barrel would put the most stress near the chamber end of the barrel, not the muzzle end.

So what did they do???...make the barrel thicker near the muzzle, and thinner near the chamber. Just genius.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
That’s why I don’t buy into the crowbar theory.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The story I heard was the Marines wanted better accuracy of a heavier barrel and Army wanted light weight, the compromise was the govt profile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
375 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 36 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,898
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.