Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Right chaps, it’s finally warming up here, north of the medicine line.
Time to get my fat ass in shape for elk season.
What is everyone doing to get in shape?
I run a little, bike a bit. Plan on doing one steep hike with my pack at least one evening a week.
What’s everyone else doing?

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I hit my gym 4x a week year ‘round. Weights and cardio. It’s much easier to stay in shape than get in shape….

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I hit my gym 4x a week year ‘round. Weights and cardio. It’s much easier to stay in shape than get in shape….

This^^^^^

I've settled into 2 strength days and 3 cardio days per week, with 1 of the weekend cardio sessions doing LSD.

Long Slow Distance

What did you think I meant...... grin

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
It’s much easier to stay in shape than get in shape….

Very true!
I was in decent shape last fall, did sweet blue f-all all winter and paying the price now.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by bwinters

This^^^^^

I've settled into 2 strength days and 3 cardio days per week, with 1 of the weekend cardio sessions doing LSD.

Long Slow Distance

What did you think I meant...... grin

“Lad Seeking Disco”

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
In the foothills where I live it's a daily 5 mile hike with a 10 lb Garand in my hands (no sling) and a 30lb slab of iron on my back 6 days a week. Back at the trailhead if the ground is dry or frozen then its pushups, then shed the backpack, and do crunches. Otherwise, it's back to the shack to do those.

When it's icy I add crampons. When the snow is deep it's time for snowshoes. The minimum objective is 1,000 miles of trail before heading to elk camp.

Definitely true it's easier to stay in shape then to get in shape...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Switch from Busch to Busch Light

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m pretty time challenged so do a lunch workout in company gym. Wear a 40lb weight vest & climb uphill on the treadmill for 35 minutes 2-3 days a week. Have a good steep 1.5 mile hike on my place do that with a pack & shotgun on the pack at night with a headlight several times right before. Mix in longer hikes with packs haphazardly. Walk the golf course & carry my bag instead of riding a golf cart when I get a chance to play. Not exactly marathon training but pretty focused on what I need at 60+ years of age.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You all will find when you hit the mountains your cardio is pretty good but unless you did some hip flexor and abductor training your legs will get shot pretty early.
Lots of going over downed timber that taxes your various hip muscles way different than normal gym exercises. You'll be swinging your legs over logs sideways and every which way except straight over..
Do some hip adductor and abductor exercises on a cable machine and some various lunges with weights.
Stairs are also good for cardio and building quads and glutes, hit a taller building near you and take the stairs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wytex
You all will find when you hit the mountains your cardio is pretty good but unless you did some hip flexor and abductor training your legs will get shot pretty early.
Lots of going over downed timber that taxes your various hip muscles way different than normal gym exercises. You'll be swinging your legs over logs sideways and every which way except straight over..
Do some hip adductor and abductor exercises on a cable machine and some various lunges with weights.
Stairs are also good for cardio and building quads and glutes, hit a taller building near you and take the stairs.

Alot of truth in this post. You'll know when you feel an ache in your glute up high and towards the tailbone of center. It's you glute medius and it helps keep your hips level. It will start complaining way before the quads or glute max. Your hip flexors will start complaining when you pick up your booted foot for the 10,000th time that day to step over a log. Banded hip or psoas march will train that muscle. Took me a couple years of backpacking to figure that out. Literally did band walking (monster walk, side steps, toe taps) today and do it 2-3 times a week from now till season. It doesn't take long and works - at least for me. Work in hip marching in coming weeks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
This reminds me I'll have to change the oil on my 4-wheeler.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am of the opinion that gyms can be a good compliment to a plan of getting into hiking shape, but it isn't wise to rely totally on them. I personally can't stand going to them other than to check out the hotties. The cookie cutter exercises there and normal hikes down trails just don't work muscles at all angles IMO.

Personally, I trap and bird hunt all winter long on foot then bear hunt and fish in hard to reach areas all spring/summer. Those in the deep south may be able to find some swampy mess to get through and fish which I suspect would be as taxing on your legs, hips, back and core as anything else.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I am of the opinion that gyms can be a good compliment to a plan of getting into hiking shape, but it isn't wise to rely totally on them. I personally can't stand going to them other than to check out the hotties. The cookie cutter exercises there and normal hikes down trails just don't work muscles at all angles IMO.

Personally, I trap and bird hunt all winter long on foot then bear hunt and fish in hard to reach areas all spring/summer. Those in the deep south may be able to find some swampy mess to get through and fish which I suspect would be as taxing on your legs, hips, back and core as anything else.

I agree completely that mixing in real world is the best way to go. My place starts at 1600’ & goes to 1900’ in only 12 acres so we have plenty of good slope to do climbing & going down hill with packs & guns but there is no substitute an extra 6000 ft of elevation. I’ll bow hunt at about 6,000 ft on the family’s place in the local mountains but it isn’t the Rockies the elevation just seems to compound fatigue those first few days.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Agree. But in my case I’m at 200 feet above sea level. Going to 9,000+ feet I don’t have much choice but to hit it as hard as I can in the gym. Still Lill’s me the first three days until I acclimate.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ya, I am aware that many folks are at lower elevations and therefore there isn't much they can do to prepare themselves concerning the O2 level issue, however the gyms in Denver are as limited as they are at any other elevation. That was why I threw a statement in about folks in the deep south but I probably should have expanded that to include all areas not at higher elevation. I suspect the OP, whom I was responding to, is fairly close to the Canadian Rockies but I cold be wrong about that.

Regardless of where you're located, I still think hiking around in whatever woods/swamps/timber you have available is a better mainstay to your routine than concentrating totally on the gym. Walking around in that mucky, swampy mess you all have down there is tiring on your legs and core, especially if you have weight on your back. BTDT and I felt it worked my body overall much better than gym exercises.

Good luck to all this fall, whichever route you choose.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
+1, and doing it with a pack on your back with some weight in it is even better......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't do any specific training for elk season except a few special treadmill workouts in Aug/September. On a yearly basis I run 60-100 miles a month and mix in some weights works out. Last year my totals were 954 miles, 15,900 push ups, 4050 pull ups, and 3288 sit ups and that doesn't include the weights workouts. I shoot a few run and guns a year, which dictates most of my athletic and firearms training. Come late August and September I'll mix in my hill climb treadmill workout. It's 60 minutes, 15% incline, and I vary speed to climb as high and as far as I can. On a really good day, I'll get 3000' elevation gain and 4 miles. Killer leg workout.

If was to train specifically for elk season, I'd focus on building up cardio endurance, pick your poison, running, hiking, rowing, biking...nah, scratch biking, can't stand them. At a min. be able to go a solid hour at an elevated heart rate. Mix in some leg specific exercises. A weighted vest is good, or running/jogging hills is good too. Just get your heart rate up. If you're not sweating, you're not exercising.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 04/18/22.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ya, I am aware that many folks are at lower elevations and therefore there isn't much they can do to prepare themselves concerning the O2 level issue, however the gyms in Denver are as limited as they are at any other elevation. That was why I threw a statement in about folks in the deep south but I probably should have expanded that to include all areas not at higher elevation. I suspect the OP, whom I was responding to, is fairly close to the Canadian Rockies but I cold be wrong about that.

Regardless of where you're located, I still think hiking around in whatever woods/swamps/timber you have available is a better mainstay to your routine than concentrating totally on the gym. Walking around in that mucky, swampy mess you all have down there is tiring on your legs and core, especially if you have weight on your back. BTDT and I felt it worked my body overall much better than gym exercises.

Good luck to all this fall, whichever route you choose.

Truth, but the snakes, mosquitos and alligators are a bitch in August.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
May 1st I switch from Bud heavy to Bud Light

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Seriously, Rona wrecked my azz. Lost thirty pounds of leg and arm muscles. Going to be a long summer of up the suck hikes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

429 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 33 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.