Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Nice score BSA. I am a fan of the 30-06 too. I have to find a featherweight Pre-64, I have never owned one!

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks Scotty. I figured you and AKwolverine would like it, the way it is set up. Trigger is nice already too. Set at a very crisp 2.5 pounds. Dang guy did all the fun work that I normally do.

It’s bullshit. I search all over hell for a great 35 rebore candidate and you scoop them all up in the NW.

Ah well, I’ll keep searching whistle

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by knivesforme
Nice score BSA. I am a fan of the 30-06 too. I have to find a featherweight Pre-64, I have never owned one!

Oh man, no featherweight 30-06? That is like sacrilege. Every red blooded American should own at least 1..
Originally Posted by beretzs
Thanks Scotty. I figured you and AKwolverine would like it, the way it is set up. Trigger is nice already too. Set at a very crisp 2.5 pounds. Dang guy did all the fun work that I normally do.

It’s bullshit. I search all over hell for a great 35 rebore candidate and you scoop them all up in the NW.

You will have first dibs on this one, if I decide to let it go. Wait, what happened to your fwt 30-06?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Sweet shooter ya got there!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Oh man, no featherweight 30-06? That is like sacrilege. Every red blooded American should own at least 1..

You will have first dibs on this one, if I decide to let it go. Wait, what happened to your fwt 30-06?

I still have it. Won’t mess with that one.

I want a Featherweight to make into a Whelen though so I figured a beat up P64 or a later model like yours would be perfect for that sorta plan.

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I still have it. Won’t mess with that one.

I want a Featherweight to make into a Whelen though so I figured a beat up P64 or a later model like yours would be perfect for that sorta plan.

Yeah, that makes sense. Bobin said the later ones were his preference too because they were least desirable, so it wasn't as much of a big deal to make a custom out of it. Its not like an aluminum butt plate '55 or '56 anyway. Or even an early classic fwt would probably do the trick? Funny thing is I was headed over to buy that 6 digit classic featherweight you said I should have bought last month. Even though the stock had some dings in it, you are right that it was well worth $600.00... I just generally buy stuff in better condition. But if a guy was going to replace the stock with a Micky, it really doesn't matter what condition the stock is in and you can still sell the walnut stock on ebay to recoup some money. I wasn't really thinking on that one. I may still go and see if its over there. Had to buy another car though because of all the driving around I've been doing. Love the new 4Runner, but it only gets 21 MPG if I'm lucky going down hill and with a tail wind. I got 32 with the Accord the other day, which isn't too bad.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats! Nice rifle and super fun thread to read!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Congrats! Nice rifle and super fun thread to read!

Thanks buddy. I am glad you are enjoying it. I have to admit, I got in a hurry today with the paint because I wanted to put the rifle back together and show you guys, but I leaned the stock up against the wall when the clear wasn't dry yet. Ha ha. You know the rest of the story. It may be another day before I can put the action back in..

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for the pics and congrats on another classy rifle...I never tire of looking at them.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by handwerk
Thanks for the pics and congrats on another classy rifle...I never tire of looking at them.

Thanks handwerk. I always enjoy looking at your rifles too. Now I just need to start hunting my old rifles more. Truth be told, I had been wanting to buy a Mcmillan for my all original pre 64 30-06 fwt, because I didn't want to scratch the original up. Its in very good condition. I know, they were made to hunt, but I'm a little apprehensive about it. I think that is one of the reasons you like the rifles with recoil pads added and such. Shooters may not be as collectable, but they sure are more desirable out in the field. Most of mine are shooters, but the '56 fwt:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Its a sweetheart. I bought it because both my parents were born in '56. Kind of a keepsake. That damn rifle shoots good though. Its really a shame I don't take it out in the field. The reason I had been looking for a Mcmillan for it, but then this rifle came along and you know the rest of the story. It will work great and I can keep my '56 in like new condition. Win win.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
As usual bsa, good score. I'd like to hunt in you're neck of the woods. For rifles that is, lol.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PSH
As usual bsa, good score. I'd like to hunt in you're neck of the woods. For rifles that is, lol.

Ha ha. Yeah, this one was funny. I saw it and it looked kind of grungy. I didn't even know it was a pre 64 at first. It was nestled in with a bunch of other rifles. So, I pulled it out and looked it over and said, it's kind of dirty, but that just requires a good clean up. Then I saw it looked like it had a Mcmillan on it. That is a bonus! Not being a huge Leupold fan, I had to pull the old tattered butler creek flip up off and see what generation of Leupy it was. An older one, that is a plus in my book, as I've had some issues with the VX3's. And it's in excellent condition. The older Leupolds seem to be better. And another bonus, it's sitting in Conetrol's! I've always wanted to try the Conetrols, just never wanted to lay the money down for a set. Well, lets get down to the brass tacks. I have been working on the stock this morning and making sure all the parts fit like a glove or the way they should. Mag box was tight, so I had to relieve the bedding the previous smith left. Removed some paint so the trigger guard and floor plate would fit. Removed paint in the barrel channel. Don't want that to affect accuracy. Like I said before, I may properly freefloat the barrel, but want to shoot it first to see what it is going to do. So, the paint turned out decent and I have 5 coats of clear over that. After it totally cures, in about a week, I will likely hit it with something to take down the shine a bit. Here are some more pics of some of the work I did this morning and the completed project. Hope you guys enjoy:

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ain’t enough wear on that bolt knob to speak of. Nice grab.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ain’t enough wear on that bolt knob to speak of. Nice grab.

Yeah, I don't think it's been shot much. I'm curious to see how it shoots. I'll just run some of the loads I already have worked up: That will be the 200gr partition, 180gr partition, 180gr Winchester power points, 168TTSX and maybe some 165gr Hornady btsp. I need to shoot my classic stainless to see how it does after I bedded the rear tang, as well. That gives me the perfect opportunity to shoot both of my newer to me 30-06 rifles. I've been messing with the Tikka's so much lately that the Winchesters don't get much love.

BSA MAGA
P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
the red pad would make it pop, but, hard to ditch whats there.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PSH
the red pad would make it pop, but, hard to ditch whats there.

I agree. My finger is on the order button. Almost. Those dang red pads are hard to find sometimes. I should have a few on hand!!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a great score in my opinion. My favorite heavy duty hunting rifle is pretty much a twin to that one. 1961 FWT. in 270. Conetrol mounts w/ Leupold in a McMillan stock

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Very nice sticks fellas!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Looks nice bsa.
You don’t see many supergrades inlet for pre-64’s - especially for featherweights.
Good work on the paint, as usual.
👍

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1911a1
That is a great score in my opinion. My favorite heavy duty hunting rifle is pretty much a twin to that one. 1961 FWT. in 270. Conetrol mounts w/ Leupold in a McMillan stock

Very nice rifle. Thanks for sharing. Looks very much like mine. Yours appears to have a 2.5-8x36. Those are nice and light scopes. There's a lot of utility in rifles set up like these 2.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 55 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.