Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Looks nice bsa.
You don’t see many supergrades inlet for pre-64’s - especially for featherweights.
Good work on the paint, as usual.
👍

Thanks AK. Yeah, I haven't seen too many pre 64's in the supergrade Mcmillan's either. I don't know if its because other styles were more popular? I've seen more pre 64 montecarlo pattern's and hunters compacts or hunter's edge stocks. I like the ergo's of the supergrade stock. It feels good and I like the open grip. I'll be able to tell more after shooting it though. Feels good when shouldered. I don't think it's as heavy as a montecarlo pattern, but heavier than the hunters compact with standard fill.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by beretzs
Ain’t enough wear on that bolt knob to speak of. Nice grab.

Yeah, I don't think it's been shot much. I'm curious to see how it shoots. I'll just run some of the loads I already have worked up: That will be the 200gr partition, 180gr partition, 180gr Winchester power points, 168TTSX and maybe some 165gr Hornady btsp. I need to shoot my classic stainless to see how it does after I bedded the rear tang, as well. That gives me the perfect opportunity to shoot both of my newer to me 30-06 rifles. I've been messing with the Tikka's so much lately that the Winchesters don't get much love.

Mine was a later one like yours is. It was great, except the bore. It fouled like crazy and wasn't really a great shooting rifle. I was getting worn out trying this and that. Finally ran the whole Tubb's works through it, all 50 of them. Wouldn't you know it, after that, it cleaned up slick and shot really well. I think I just got one of the stinker later barrels. My 338 gave me the same fits till I firelapped that one. I figured they'd either work or I'd rebore the 30-06. Now the damn thing is among the top rifles to grab for.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ain’t enough wear on that bolt knob to speak of. Nice grab.

Yeah, I don't think it's been shot much. I'm curious to see how it shoots. I'll just run some of the loads I already have worked up: That will be the 200gr partition, 180gr partition, 180gr Winchester power points, 168TTSX and maybe some 165gr Hornady btsp. I need to shoot my classic stainless to see how it does after I bedded the rear tang, as well. That gives me the perfect opportunity to shoot both of my newer to me 30-06 rifles. I've been messing with the Tikka's so much lately that the Winchesters don't get much love.

Mine was a later one like yours is. It was great, except the bore. It fouled like crazy and wasn't really a great shooting rifle. I was getting worn out trying this and that. Finally ran the whole Tubb's works through it, all 50 of them. Wouldn't you know it, after that, it cleaned up slick and shot really well. I think I just got one of the stinker later barrels. My 338 gave me the same fits till I firelapped that one. I figured they'd either work or I'd rebore the 30-06. Now the damn thing is among the top rifles to grab for.

I always keep that in mind buddy. I'm glad you shared your experience on that Tubbs fire lapping kit with us. I'm hoping this one shoots good, without having to do that, but you never know. If it shoots half as good as my '56, I'll be happy with it. That '56 is pretty impressive, to say the least. One I'll never get rid of. For packing around, these featherweights are hard to beat. Speaking of pre 64 model 70's in particular. Of course lighter rifles like the Tikka's pack nicer. I remember packing around that 300wby of mine one year for elk season. On the last day I packed my 7mm08 Tikka, and boy what a difference!! Eventually I am going to run across just the right stock for that pre 64 300WBY!!! Then I believe that rifle will be just about the perfect elk rifle/killing machine. Well, it will be hard to top the 338wm in the Brown PoundR. But I want it to be close. You know exactly what I'm talking about, as you have a slury of awesome elk rifles and I know you place that Alaskan somewhere near the top..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My 300 RUM in the Legend is a peach. It is a touch heavy but it is a 300 RUM and I have no desire to torch off a 7 1/2lb one of those whistle

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by beretzs; 04/20/22.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My 300 RUM in the Legend is a peach. It is a touch heavy but it is a 300 RUM and I have no desire to torch off a 7 1/2lb one of those whistle

I love the looks of the Legend buddy. As I wrote my previous post, that is exactly what I was thinking. I only drag my size 12's because IF I order one, it's going to have a left hand cheek piece. Then if I hate it, I'm stuck with it because no one is going to buy it. The conundrum I put on myself, but If I order one, it's going to suit me personally. Generally I do not like stocks with cheek pieces, because they are on the wrong side for me. So in essence they just add unnecessary weight. Stocks like the hunters compact/hunters edge fit me great, but would not be a suitable match for my long tubed 300wby. I also don't care for the weight of the Pre 64 montecarlo pattern. They weigh more than the damn wood stock they are replacing. Hence, the reason I keep the old factory stock on it. Ha ha. There's always the Brown PoundR approach, as I know I love the ergo's of that stock. My 338wm works great and I love the weight of that rifle. But who wants to pay what they want for a Brown PoundR these days? The Legend is sweet though, I've admired them from afar. That 300WBY would be bad azzed with that stock. I'd just hope the ergo's fit me well.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I would like to have one of those for my 264 Westerner. I'm also looking to do a 300 H&H some day and would like that style stock for it also.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Scotty, you have other Legends, don't you? Post some more pics please. Thanks buddy. Or anyone with a brown legend with red pad. I'd appreciate it.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I love the looks of the Legend buddy. As I wrote my previous post, that is exactly what I was thinking. I only drag my size 12's because IF I order one, it's going to have a left hand cheek piece. Then if I hate it, I'm stuck with it because no one is going to buy it. The conundrum I put on myself, but If I order one, it's going to suit me personally. Generally I do not like stocks with cheek pieces, because they are on the wrong side for me. So in essence they just add unnecessary weight. Stocks like the hunters compact/hunters edge fit me great, but would not be a suitable match for my long tubed 300wby. I also don't care for the weight of the Pre 64 montecarlo pattern. They weigh more than the damn wood stock they are replacing. Hence, the reason I keep the old factory stock on it. Ha ha. There's always the Brown PoundR approach, as I know I love the ergo's of that stock. My 338wm works great and I love the weight of that rifle. But who wants to pay what they want for a Brown PoundR these days? The Legend is sweet though, I've admired them from afar. That 300WBY would be bad azzed with that stock. I'd just hope the ergo's fit me well.

Don’t write off the Hunters EDGE or Compact. I can never remember the right name for it.

I built my Mashburn with a Legend and it was nice but heavier than what I wanted so I swapped to a Compact EDGE

Here it is as a Legend

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
375 Improved

338 Win

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Don’t write off the Hunters EDGE or Compact. I can never remember the right name for it.

I built my Mashburn with a Legend and it was nice but heavier than what I wanted so I swapped to a Compact EDGE

Here it is as a Legend

The hunters compact is my favorite, but I think with the short forend and long barrel, it would look funny. Where it really shines is with a shorter barrel like what is on the fwt:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This 270fwt was one of the nicest ones I've seen. The guy that bought it from me is pretty dang happy with it. I let it go because I'm not a 270 guy. The only reason I'd buy one now is for resale value. You rarely see them though.

Thanks for the pics. What is the barrel length on your mashburn? You have a damn nice collection there buddy.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
BSA, if you like the rifle and you like the PoundR, then for the love of God, get that one. You’ll soon forget the money you spent if you love it. You’ll never forget the money on something that pisses you off.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA, if you like the rifle and you like the PoundR, then for the love of God, get that one. You’ll soon forget the money you spent if you love it. You’ll never forget the money on something that pisses you off.

Ha ha. Well said. I hate it when stuff pizzes me off!! That damn PoundR is really too expensive for what it is. IMHO.
Damn that red pad looks good though. grin

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
25” on the Mashburn.

And you only go around one time and if the rifle shoots and you think it’ll stay then it’s worth it.

Think of all the money you’ve spent on women, trucks and guns and the rest you wasted. Live a little. That big 300 deserves some solid hunting time whistle

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
25” on the Mashburn.

And you only go around one time and if the rifle shoots and you think it’ll stay then it’s worth it.

Think of all the money you’ve spent on women, trucks and guns and the rest you wasted. Live a little. That big 300 deserves some solid hunting time whistle

Ha ha. You are making too much sense!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
25” on the Mashburn.

Well, I’ve spent a lot of dumb money on stuff that didn’t stick. Tikkas for example. Love my little CTR 223 but the rest, 7-08, 270, 22-250 never took. Even in great stocks. Always wanted a 70. If I’d just stayed true to what I really knew I’d have liked I’d have money ahead, even if I put the 70’s in Browns. Our time is money and wasting it is pretty rough when you look back.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
25” on the Mashburn.

Well, I’ve spent a lot of dumb money on stuff that didn’t stick. Tikkas for example. Love my little CTR 223 but the rest, 7-08, 270, 22-250 never took. Even in great stocks. Always wanted a 70. If I’d just stayed true to what I really knew I’d have liked I’d have money ahead, even if I put the 70’s in Browns. Our time is money and wasting it is pretty rough when you look back.

True points taken. I messed up one time buying a stock for a model 70. It was a Bansner. It was nice and light, but I hated how it made the rifle handle. Sometimes going too light is not good. That rifle always felt too top heavy. It was a classic 30-06. Had to go back in its factory tupperware. Lesson learned.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Exactly. Takes awhile to find what fits correct.

Bob was a huge PoundR fella. Never used one but really should one of these days.

I need to Frankenstein a 270 first with a Douglas or Krieger and then add the Brown to make it a true Bob gun though.

Last edited by beretzs; 04/20/22.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Exactly. Takes awhile to find what fits correct.

Bob was a huge PoundR fella. Never used one but really should one of these days.

I need to Frankenstein a 270 first with a Douglas or Krieger and then add the Brown to make it a true Bob gun though.

Brux #1 buddy..
I see why Bob liked the PoundR. They are damn good, but it took me a long time to get the paint right on mine. I used the final recipe on the stock in this OP.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He wouldn’t even paint his. Those things were full of voids and fiberglass Mark’s.

That fella was an animal.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
He wouldn’t even paint his. Those things were full of voids and fiberglass Mark’s.

That fella was an animal.

He was a great guy and sorely missed. Man, I miss his writings and knowledge base.

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
613 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.