Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Kudos to Aikins and Slider, the owners of handgunlaw.us

Always up to date, and always helpful. I noticed on their site that Georgia recently enacted permitless carry, and started to do some digging on other state laws in that regard. I had a question that bugged me and emailed them on their "contact us" link. I thought maybe I'd get a form reply in a week or two.

I received a definitive answer by email within 10 minutes.

They sell stuff on a link provided on their page. Ordered out a coffee mug and a tote bag.

They also take direct donations at the top of the page. I hit that as well.

Value their content, I do...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Their website is badly out of date. The Idaho laws they show are obsolete. Idaho is constitutional carry including inside city limits. This site says it's only outside of city limits.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
G
Rock Chuck, You need to read the law for yourself 18-3302 as quoted on Handgunlaw.us. It is not out of date!! That is the exact
wording Idaho has in their law stating you can carry without a permit. READ THE WHOLE THING! You only read part of it and jumped to CONCLUSIONS.
https://legislature.idaho.gov/statutesrules/idstat/Title18/T18CH33/SECT18-3302/

Gary Slider
Co-Owner/Researcher
https://www.handgunlaw.us

Last edited by Gary_Slider; 04/18/22.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Lighten up Francis 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow, that ended quick!

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gary_Slider
Rock Chuck, You need to read the law for yourself 18-3302 as quoted on Handgunlaw.us. It is not out of date!! That is the exact
wording Idaho has in their law stating you can carry without a permit. READ THE WHOLE THING! You only read part of it and jumped to CONCLUSIONS.

Gary Slider
Co-Owner/Researcher

This is from the state of Idaho:

A person does not have to have a concealed weapons license to carry or be in possession of a deadly weapon or firearm in the following circumstances:

Any deadly weapon located in plain view;
Any lawfully possessed shotgun or rifle;
Any deadly weapon concealed in a motor vehicle;
A firearm that is not loaded and is secured in a case;
A firearm that is disassembled or permanently altered such that it is not readily operable; and
Any deadly weapon concealed by a person who is:
Over eighteen (18) years of age;
A citizen of the United States or a current member of the armed forces of the United States; and
Is not disqualified from being issued a license under Idaho Code § 18-3302(11)(b) – (n).

A person does not need to have a concealed weapons license in order to carry a deadly weapon or firearm concealed and loaded in a vehicle.

It is unlawful for any person to carry a concealed weapon on or about his person when intoxicated or under the influence of an intoxicating drink or drug.

Concealed weapon licenses are still available from your County Sheriff. Residents must secure one to gain reciprocity in other states. The license is valid for five years.

this is from the web site:

(3) No person shall carry concealed weapons on or about his person without a license to carry concealed
weapons, except:
(a) In the person's place of abode or fixed place of business;
(b) On property in which the person has any ownership or leasehold interest;
(c) On private property where the person has permission to carry concealed weapons from any person with
an ownership or leasehold interest;
(d) Outside the limits of or confines of any city, if the person is over eighteen (18) years of age or older
and is not otherwise disqualified from being issued a license under subsection (11) of this section

Idaho became a constitutional carry state several years ago. There's a considerable difference between what the state says and what the web site says. Previously a CCP was required to carry in a vehicle or inside a city limit. No more.

― George Orwell

G
G
You didn't quote what all is in the Permitless Carry Section. (3) is what you quoted. (4) starts off with
"Subsection (3) of this section shall not apply to restrict or prohibit the carrying or possession of:"
So read the whole thing. The site is 100% correct. Go to the Idaho Legislature state statutes and read it for yourself at

I will accept a public Apology!! Gary Slider

18-3302. Concealed Weapons (U.S. Citizens or current members of the U.S. Military only.)

(1) The legislature hereby finds that the people of Idaho have reserved for themselves the right to keep and bear arms while granting the legislature the authority to regulate the carrying of weapons concealed. The provisions of this chapter regulating the carrying of weapons must be strictly construed so as to give maximum scope to the rights retained by the people.

(3) No person shall carry concealed weapons on or about his person without a license to carry concealed weapons, except:

(a) In the person's place of abode or fixed place of business;
(b) On property in which the person has any ownership or leasehold interest;
(c) On private property where the person has permission to carry concealed weapons from any person with
an ownership or leasehold interest;
(d) Outside the limits of or confines of any city, if the person is over eighteen (18) years of age or older
and is not otherwise disqualified from being issued a license under subsection (11) of this section.

(4) Subsection (3) of this section shall not apply to restrict or prohibit the carrying or possession of:

(a) Any deadly weapon located in plain view;
(b) Any lawfully possessed shotgun or rifle;
(c) Any deadly weapon concealed in a motor vehicle;
(d) A firearm that is not loaded and is secured in a case;
(e) A firearm that is disassembled or permanently altered such that it is not readily operable; and
(f) Any deadly weapon concealed by a person who is:
(i) A person who is eighteen (18) years of age;
(ii) A citizen of the United States or a current member of the armed forces of the United
States; and;
(iii) Is not disqualified from being issued a license under paragraphs (b) through (n) of subsection
(11) of this section. 315, sec. 1, p. 893.

Note: Any U.S. Citizen 18 years of age or older who can legally possess a firearm can carry a firearm in Idaho without any type of permit/license to carry. Handgunlaw.us recommends you carry your state issued ID when carrying under Permitless Carry. Some states require you carry it.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rock Chuck,

Where in the handgunlaw site does it deny you the right to carry inside a city limit?

I read both the handgunlaw site, and Mr Slider's provided link and they both say the same thing. Section 4 (f) (i) (ii) & (iii) clearly states that if you're over 18, a US citizen, and not otherwise denied by law that you can carry concealed in Idaho. Anywhere normally allowed. This is located right below the section that says permitless carry is disallowed inside city limits.

Section 4 acknowledges that section 3 has limitations inside city limits. Then specifically and statutorily supercedes it to allow carry inside city limits.

This is actually highlighted in bold red print on the handgunlaw site.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And clearly, at the top of the page, Idaho is identified as a permitless carry state.

Edit; I'll stand by my earlier assertion that they're up to date and helpful. Not their fault how the laws were written or laid out.

Last edited by johnw; 04/18/22.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
G
Idaho should have removed (3) but they didn't. When they went permitless carry they just added (4). Poor way to do it but we had to put (3) in there so when you read (4) you had to know what didn't apply! Idaho law here is not that bad when compared to how some other states have written their laws.

Stay Safe, Gary Slider

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Technically you're right, of course. That old part of the Idaho law should have been removed. However, isn't the point of your website to tell readers what the states' laws are? Since Idaho's is confusing, I suggest that you note that the 1st section is obsolete and the reader needs to skip to the 2d part. I'm betting that 90% of the readers will get down to the part that says that a permit is needed and they'll read no further. They think they have what they need to know but they'll 'know' the exact opposite of what's correct. We aren't lawyers or legislators.

― George Orwell

G
G
If I don't list Section (3) then Section 4 becomes a problem as you don't know what is in Section 3 that Section 4 exempts. Then there is a note right after Section 4 that states: Note: Any U.S. Citizen 18 years of age or older who can legally possess a firearm can carry a firearm in Idaho without any type of permit/license to carry. Handgunlaw.us recommends you carry your state issued ID when carrying under Permitless Carry. Some states require you carry it.

Doesn't get any plainer than that. If you are going to carry a firearm in the USA you need to know the laws and to know them you have to read them. You can't go by what so and so stated you have to read the laws as there is so much misinformation out ther about firearms and legal carry. That is why we put the laws as written and even link to those laws so people can read them for themselves to confirm what the law states.

Gary Slider
Co-Owner/Researcher

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 43 invisible), 2,100 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.