Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For actual specifics,

Kuiu Guide jacket, Get the Kuiu Pro down Parka has an overcoat? (guide jacket off)

Or Guide jacket on with the Super Pro Down ultra underneath the Jacket,

I like the idea of the insulation layer underneath, has long has the jacket is sized properly to not compress the insulation layer too much.

What's working for you guys?

BP-B2

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Now I notice Kuiu lists the Ultra has a mid layer.

The Pro has an outer layer.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Kenneth

I like the idea of the insulation layer underneath, as long has the jacket is sized properly to not compress the insulation layer too much.

I agree. Insulation under. For this reason I have different size guide jackets depending on season (XL up to mid-season, XXL for late).

I also have different size insulation layers, Kenai, ultra, super, depending on the hunt and temps.

Pitter Patter!
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Appreciate it, PM sent.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It depends

In the winter/fall when stopped for a break/lunch/etc- my puffy goes over the top, this is simply for efficiency sake- it's quicker to don/remove. Keeps the heat in while stopped w/o much fuss. If I'm going to be glassing (or something that's going to take awhile) I usually layer it under a windshirt or hardshell. If there is a lot of wind or precip- it always gets layered under.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wet insulation isn't warm. Even synthetics lose some of their warmth and wet down is worthless. If there's any chance of getting wet, keep it underneath.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This.

I wear mine under. I wear a jacket over insulation when the weather is wet, or so windy that it cuts through the insulation.

I've never worn insulation over a hard shell or soft shell jacket.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Wet insulation isn't warm. Even synthetics lose some of their warmth and wet down is worthless. If there's any chance of getting wet, keep it underneath.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
This.

I wear mine under. I wear a jacket over insulation when the weather is wet, or so windy that it cuts through the insulation.

I've never worn insulation over a hard shell or soft shell jacket.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Unless it's just for a few minutes when I stop to glass in the dry, bitter cold and exposed wind, I'm the same way.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I always wear the insulating layer under the shell.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Always wear the insulation under. I actually wear the Kuiu Kenai under a guide jacket. The Kenai does nothing for wind so when I stop I put the Guide over the top to cut wind. I also have a Sitka Kelvin which is warmer than the Kenai but doesn’t breathe near as well. The Kenai is my favorite mid layer. It is quiet and breathable. I don’t wear the Sitka because it’s noisy. Has typical sleeping bag puffy coat nylon. Which the super down will also have. Sitka now makes the Kelvin active jacket which is quieter. I don’t own it so can’t comment on that piece. The Guide and Kenai is great for me. Only thing better might be the Yukon rain jacket instead of the guide because it is waterproof, not water resistant like the Guide. It’s a soft shell rain gear but costs so much I haven’t bothered as the Guide does well enough with what I deal with.

Last edited by TakeEm; 04/19/22.

Isaiah 6:8

IC B3

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TakeEm
Always wear the insulation under. I actually wear the Kuiu Kenai under a guide jacket. The Kenai does nothing for wind so when I stop I put the Guide over the top to cut wind. I also have a Sitka Kelvin which is warmer than the Kenai but doesn’t breathe near as well. The Kenai is my favorite mid layer. It is quiet and breathable. I don’t wear the Sitka because it’s noisy. Has typical sleeping bag puffy coat nylon. Which the super down will also have. Sitka now makes the Kelvin active jacket which is quieter. I don’t own it so can’t comment on that piece. The Guide and Kenai is great for me. Only thing better might be the Yukon rain jacket instead of the guide because it is waterproof, not water resistant like the Guide. It’s a soft shell rain gear but costs so much I haven’t bothered as the Guide does well enough with what I deal with.

When your wearing the Guide over the Kenai, did you upsize on the Guide compared to the Kenai, or did the same sizes work well?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
They are both the same size. The Guide jacket is cut larger for layering and the Kenai has a closer to body fit. I would order your normal size in both. The guide is a little loose with nothing under it but not enough to bother me. I was between sizes and went with the larger size.

Isaiah 6:8

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For actual specifics,

Kuiu Guide jacket, Get the Kuiu Pro down Parka has an overcoat? (guide jacket off)

I like the idea of the insulation layer underneath, has long has the jacket is sized properly to not compress the insulation layer too much.

Do you already own the Guide jacket? Also what temps are you normally hunting in?

I had the guide jacket for a while but have since moved on to the Axis jacket. I’ve ran them both with a Peleton 240 under as well as a Kenai jacket or a super down depending on temps and how active of a hunt it is. Wearing an XL in both jackets and a Large for the 240. Works well.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Like Warden says, it depends.
I probably wear insulation over more than under. Often, it's a very light base layer like an OR Echo hoody with a wind shirt such as the Black Diamond Alpine over that. Insulation will follow, usually a Mont-Bell Thermawrap jacket or parka.

If it's cold enough to wear insulation over the base layer, it might be a fleece vest between the base and the wind or one of the above insulation pieces with a Black Diamond Dawn Patrol soft shell as the outer layer, and no wind shirt.

For myself, overheating is a much greater problem than being too cold.
The puffy or Serape is always in the pack in cool to cold weather to go over everything.

Ed T

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 805
For actual specifics,

Do you already own the Guide jacket? Also what temps are you normally hunting in?

I had the guide jacket for a while but have since moved on to the Axis jacket. I’ve ran them both with a Peleton 240 under as well as a Kenai jacket or a super down depending on temps and how active of a hunt it is. Wearing an XL in both jackets and a Large for the 240. Works well.

No, do not own one yet, Had one here last week, tried it on and returned it,
Liked the jacket, but has a shell with insulation underneath it needed to be bigger,

Looking at the Kenai now for an insulating layer, that should answer questions regarding sizing and shells.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I normally wear XL but I use a XXL Guide with an XL Kenai and am happy with how it fits and doesn't overly compress the Kenai!

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I normally wear XL but I use a XXL Guide with an XL Kenai and am happy with how it fits and doesn't overly compress the Kenai!

Likely scenario for me has well, Thanks.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
if it is not wet and I am stopping for a while for glassing or eating something or such, I juts put my down pro jacket over the softshell I am wearing and that is normally plenty.

If is is going to be long stop like when I get to camo or it is wet then I wear it underneath.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by mtwarden
It depends

In the winter/fall when stopped for a break/lunch/etc- my puffy goes over the top, this is simply for efficiency sake- it's quicker to don/remove. Keeps the heat in while stopped w/o much fuss. If I'm going to be glassing (or something that's going to take awhile) I usually layer it under a windshirt or hardshell. If there is a lot of wind or precip- it always gets layered under.

Originally Posted by chamois
if it is not wet and I am stopping for a while for glassing or eating something or such, I juts put my down pro jacket over the softshell I am wearing and that is normally plenty.

If is is going to be long stop like when I get to camo or it is wet then I wear it underneath.

I'm same as the previous. If alternating still/moving for short periods of time still, it's not raining, and I want it off when moving, then I'll leave it on the outside for ease of removal. Any other time it's under the shell.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Under.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 73 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.