Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
My daughter drew an off-range Oryx tag! Now what? Any help or suggestions are welcome. I'm probably going to hire an outfitter, so recommendations are appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No advice or information for you, but damn excited for you. This will be a cool experience.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The beauty of an off range tag is that the hunt is a month long. Triple C Outfitters
https://www.nmelkhunts.com/new-mexico-oryx-hunts/

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It can be a tough hunt off-range, but they are there and some ranches do guided hunts, I believe. I lived in Alamogordo for over 10 years and was able to kill three while I lived there. They were all range hunts. One was a non-typical once-in-a-lifetime hunt and two were depredation hunts. Back then, they cost me $41 plus the gas. There was no range fee, etc.

You will find that they have as good of meat as you have ever eaten. They are a very pretty trophy animal, also. I just did Euros and got the hides tanned for mine.

Oryx (gemsbok) are very tough animals and their vitals are shoved ahead of where they are with deer. etc. You need to shoot pretty tight against the front leg-if not through the front leg. They can take a poor shot and go for a long way. Use quality bullets. I was using Barnes, during the time that I had my hunts.

Good luck. If you have issues finding a place for a hunt, get ahold of the NM Game and Fish.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Awesome! Congrats! What month?

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Grats! I drew 15 plus years ago, stallion range, February hunt. Back then there were a lot of oryx down on the flats. Pretty stupid, folks flying around and slinging lead. Bout noon pard and I drove up to the base of the mountain range that runs through the stallion range, spotted a big lone bull all by himself. Made a stalk and killed him at 475 yards, 338 win mag 225 interloks. Ended up 36” x 8” which ended up gold medal I believe. Fun hunt, if numbers are similar to when I was down there, 2 days is plenty of time. Make sure you don’t give the meat away, excellent table fare. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Shiit my bad, see you drew the off range oryx tag. Sure you guys will have fun. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Join a Facebook group called
New Mexican oryx hunters
Someone can help you score.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
Awesome! Congrats! What month?

August

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Join a Facebook group called
New Mexican oryx hunters
Someone can help you score.

Will do

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ggarcia85
The beauty of an off range tag is that the hunt is a month long. Triple C Outfitters
https://www.nmelkhunts.com/new-mexico-oryx-hunts/

Gg, you have experience with triple C?

X
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
X
As stated use quality bullets and shoot them on the shoulder not behind..........Tough SOB's but fanstastic to eat.
It is better to shoot a little lower than high as vitals are typical of an african plains game animal.
August will be hot as hell and they dont water every day. Use onyx maps and talk to the people that own or lease the land.
They will be a huge help.
Good luck with the hunt and please let her practice off of sticks ......a lot.
Regards
John

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It’s all been said already. You got good advice. Just practice, practice, practice your shooting because you do not want a marginal hit. They will go a long way after soaking up a lot of lead. Uniquely fun experience with some gorgeous beasts. Good eating too. Good luck.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Bump.

I’ve narrowed it down to 2 or 3 outfitters but it seems like there are many with a good reputation. Any more input before I make final decisions?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good luck with the hunt. Oryx is a helluva hunt and the meat is tasty as hell.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I also drew an Oryx tag after years of trying. Splat is going with me so no worries as its an on range hunt. I found this page on FB to be extremely useful on shot placement and I have an email in to a shop in South Africa about getting some anatomically correct targets so I can practice. I found some other targets here in the US that show the vitals but at $150, its more than I want to spend for sure.... http://www.gcarchery.com/2012/04/10/african-game-image-roll/

https://www.facebook.com/passionateabouthunting/posts/480626832095139

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I suggest that you buy the book "The Perfect Shot" by Dr. Kevin Robertson. It will show you shot placement and the overlay of the vital organs on the photograph.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm all for knowing where the vitals are for sure, but don't make it harder than it is. I've killed about 10 oryx in Namibia. If you punch through the shoulder about 1/3 way up, you're golden every single time. When hit in the right place they die just as quick as everything else. Stout bullets are the key IME.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Thanks. That will be helpful to discuss with my daughter.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm all for knowing where the vitals are for sure, but don't make it harder than it is. I've killed about 10 oryx in Namibia. If you punch through the shoulder about 1/3 way up, you're golden every single time. When hit in the right place they die just as quick as everything else. Stout bullets are the key IME.

LOL. I've been thinking the same thing. I know they are tough, but they weigh 400 lbs and have a heart and lungs just like any other warm blooded critter...... I figure a well placed Accubond or TTSX should put them down nicely.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Congrats! Have fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

631 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,245
Posts18,447,972
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.