Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone use this system? If so, yay or nay?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nah dawg.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A friend put them on his Springfield TRP, and insisted that I try them. I wasn't impressed, because my shooting wasn't nearly as precise as the issue sights it came with. I WAS able to pick them up very quickly, but for precision work, I don't much like them.

I can see them on a self-defense gun, but I seem to do better with the 3 dot Novaks on my Garrison, they are almost as fast and you can really focus on them if you're trying to be more precise.

The are great, and fast, for sloppy work, but I favor being more precise.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 04/21/22.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ratsmacker - thanks for the response.

I have a 3-dot Novak system on a G17 (and like it) but have some smaller G's that are in need of upgrades - just seeing if there's something I'm missing with other systems.

About anything is an upgrade over the stock sights - and having turned the mid-century mark, my peepers taint what they used to be. eek

WWP53D
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd love to tell you one way or the other but you're not going to know until you shoot with them.

Some people hate them and some people love them.

I struggled with the oversize dots initially but then everything tightened up.

I do think they hinder some people that stay focused on the front sight because the size of them gives your brain the impression that you're on the sight but you're not really ON the sight.

If that makes sense.

Another factor is that if you can't hit the A Zone at 25yds to save your life with regular sights, you may as well have a nice big dot for the ranges you can hit at.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
deflave,

Good feedback - makes perfect sense.
And you're right - the only way to know for certain is to know for certain via trial.

WWP53D
T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
FWIW I just installed Big Dots on both a G19 and a S&W 629. The express style rear and BigDot front is much easier to align in comparison to a blade and notch now that age has taken away my near vision. Plenty precise enough for my meager handgun skills.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I tried a set on a S&W, and while I like the sight picture, and it is very fast and easy to find and stay locked on to the front sight, they shot WAAAAY too low, just like the original sights (as usual these days with most sights) and there is no way to raise the rear up to where it would need to be.

Last edited by Stophel; 04/23/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane
deflave,

Good feedback - makes perfect sense.
And you're right - the only way to know for certain is to know for certain via trial.

I, too, believe deflave makes perfect sense. I found that the XS Big Dot was just too BIG. But, because the Tritium lamp inserts are actually the same size, the XS Standard Dot has worked well enough for me:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yeah a lot of people that struggle with the BIG dot will end up focusing on the tritium as a work around when they shoot from the 15-25ish.

But I bought a SRO so I just view irons as worthless pieces of schit right now. LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Exchipy
[....I found that the XS Big Dot was just too BIG. But, because the Tritium lamp inserts are actually the same size, the XS Standard Dot has worked well enough for me...

Same here. On a low profile sight, I like the XS Standard Dot. As some mentioned, it does limit a little on precision vs a clean square. As long as it matches sight groove/rear sight height and POA/POI match up well enough for the handgun I like the Standard Dot a lot for carry and quick shooting....BIG dot, not so much.

SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tcp
FWIW I just installed Big Dots on both a G19 and a S&W 629. The express style rear and BigDot front is much easier to align in comparison to a blade and notch now that age has taken away my near vision. Plenty precise enough for my meager handgun skills.

Thanks for the responses.
I ordered both (big and reg) - mainly because my wife is convinced she'll like the bigger dot more for her 43x. whistle

I suspect I'll get a couple more of the Novak systems if neither of those perk. As was mentioned earlier – the only way to know is to find out for yourself.

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the big dot doesn't trip your trigger on the 43x, the hackethorn is a great choice.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
For the typical ccw guy w/ vision problems Big Dots will help them qualify out to 10 yards. Serious shooters have many better choices.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a set of DXT2s on my main G19 carry pistol. I have a set of original DXTs on my G30. I like them very much, particularly the DXT2s.

I do believe they help a shooter get on target quicker, if only by a split second. I shoot Glocks with Trijicon HDs, Trijicon Bright and Toughs, XS R3Ds, and Truglo TFX Pros, as well as Glocks with Trijicon RMRs, as well as pistols of other makes with different combat sights. The DXT2s are my favorite and I am fastest with those.

The DXT2s have other advantages. The tritium vial in the front sight is set inside a glowing plastic semi-domed big dot. The tritium keeps that glowing dot charged so even after storage in the dark for days, it still glows in the dark when you pull the gun out. That big dot is not only very visible in bright light, but it stands out greatly in pitch dark. That front sight is much better for locating your gun on a hotel night stand at 1am in the pitch dark than any other sight I have. The semi-domed dot also makes it visible to anyone with normal peripheral vision. In low light conditions, I can have that G19 in front of me, at or below my belt line and pointed the ground, and still see that dot in my peripheral vision.

Accuracy is fine. No better or worse than any of my other sights.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
154 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,977 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.