24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
The RMEF Castle Rock Chapter is hosting our annual banquet Saturday, April 30th, doors open at 4:00 pm. To see some of our great prizes and donations, check out our Instagram page @rmef_castlerock. Ticket sales online close on Tuesday, April 26th. No at the door ticket sales! Available online at RMEF.org and go to Events.

BP-B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

They supported reintroduction of wolves into Wyoming, and so lost my support forever.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by KC

They supported reintroduction of wolves into Wyoming, and so lost my support forever.

Same here

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Also read this letter that Defenders of Wildlife wrote to RMEF and then the response form RMEF.
I support RMEF and they work they do for elk herds and access for hunters.

https://www.elk101.com/2010/04/rmef-letter-to-defenders-of-wildlife-regarding-wolves/

IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Some folks would b1tch if you hung ‘em with a new rope. I have never seen where RMEF supported wolf reintroduction. Long time Life Member and Chapter Chairman.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Been members since 1988, they have opened up thousands of acres in Wyoming to hunting.
Is RMEF a perfect org, no but they sure do a lot for elk and hunters.

I would encourage any of you all coming up to elk hunt look into local chapter banquets and try to go, if you're coming up to scout to look over your area see if there is a local banquet nearby and get tickets.

Great way to meet some local hunters, enjoy a good meal and maybe buy or win something unique. Might find some sought after access too.

C
OP Offline
C
To those that don't like/support the RMEF, I'd challenge you to name an organization that you do support that you think does a better job or does more to promote and benefit Elk and other wildlife. Personally, I find it a little discouraging looking at numbers in Colorado. From my research, less than 10% of Colorado resident elk hunters are members of RMEF. Although a common fact that whatever charity, church, school, work, etc. you are dealing with, only about 5-10% of people actually step up to volunteer their time and effort unless they have a direct benefit! Volunteering is kind of a thankless job with little credit or thanks given but I've found most people that help, just have it in their heart to serve others. So THANKS to those that volunteer countless hours to further elk hunting, habitat improvement and wildlife enhancement for the benefit of others!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I will say three things.
1. Although I do remember RMEF stating that they were for wolf management and hunting of them as links have been posted above , I don't remember them ever coming right out and saying they wiould not support wolf introduction. Just a lot of tap dancin gabout like Colorado CPW's stance at present

2. Back in the 80's and early 90's, my wife and I suported RMEF and did quite a bit of volunteer work. I don't know if they are still there,but several of my wife's enlarged photographs that she donated hung in the RMEF office. Then I researched where all the money was going in terms of elk conservation, property acquisition etc. Montana was getting a bigger share than any other state. I asked RMEF as to why Colorado wasn't getting more, even though back then Colorado kicked in a lot of money.The answer I was given was Colorado didn't need it.

3. I don't know if it was the BOD, Commisioners or? but for a few years RMEF paid a lot of attention to archery hunting. The Bulge magazine was loaded with such articles and you were hard pressed to fine an article of rifle hunting. It was like rifle hunters were 2nd class citizens. That went on for 4-5 years, then it slowly died away and hunting itself took a back seat to conservation. I am all for conservation and elk habitat enhancment, but hunters are mostly are footing the bill. I supported RMEF because I thought their charter was to improve elk hunting and open up land to hunting. I don't see that and that is why I don't send them money.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/26/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
OP Offline
C
Saddlesore - Not sure when you're referring to RMEF not saying right out they would not support wolf introduction but regarding Colorado, it's very easy to find their position (link below) that opposed the wolf introduction when it was voted upon. I know for a fact they contributed $300K to the campaign against the introduction. To me, I was disappointed that it was only $300K and as the vote turned out, it likely wouldn't have taken much more and a better campaign to get the facts to the voters. Unfortunately, State regulations restrict State governments to voice their opinion on active ballot issues. Insane as that is, the agency tasked with managing States wildlife cannot express support one way or another even though they were on record prior to the topic being a ballot issue.

I've read via RMEF articles that 50% of funds raised in a State, is spent in that State and the rest of funds are combined and I assume somewhere they determine which other projects will be funded in various states.

I'm certainly not here to say everything they do or have ever done is perfect as you'll always have people that want more $ spent in their State or to benefit their own hunting interests so you'll never please everyone.
So again, I pose the question, Please name an organization that you think better benefits elk and elk hunting as I don't think there is one. Certainly not perfect and I would certainly change some things but I want to at least contribute where I think is best.
RMEF is rated as 4 out of 4 Stars on Charitynavigator.org which is an independent review organization. Being transparent on how their money is spent is one key factor and I know several "conservation" organizations that would absolutely barely earn 1 star in that category. So my perspective is that one can either do absolutely nothing to further the sport or contribute to an organization that is trying to improve things. So much info and data out there on the things RMEF does so if you're really interested, it's out there.

https://www.rmef.org/why-a-forced-colorado-wolf-introduction-is-a-bad-idea/

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well. I'll just say they have opened up thousands of acres in Wyoming to hunting buy purchasing landlocked parcels that lead to public lands.

To say they supported wolf introduction is just wrong, but your reasons are yours for not supporting them and that is your right by all means.

Curious which organization you support for elk conservation and hunting?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What does RMEF do? I know they've bought over 500,000 acres of elk habitat, but do they allow hunting on it or are these preserves that benefit only the surrounding properties?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RMEF has purchased some amazing hunting properties around here with members money.
Some of those properties allowed public access before purchase.
None since.
Wealthy benefactors enjoy some fantastic hunting.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I hope that isn't true, but I could certainly see that happening. I'm not sure how that helps your average elk hunter. I'm not even sure it's good for the elk to be, basically, protected.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Unfortunately
A lot of organizations, entities, start out small, do a great job, get bigger and then, things change.
Sometimes for the better,
A lot of times for the worse.
Wish the RMEF the best,, as long as it's for the future of the elk and associated wildlife and lands.
Gonna stop, before it gets too political.

Let him grow, Shoot a doe!

Let him grow, Shoot a doe !
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just stumbled across this thread and want throw in my support for RMEF. As stated above money gets put on the ground.

Bosque del Oso State Wildlife Area (30,000 ac in southern Colorado).

https://www.rmef.org/elk-network/bosque/

Granted this is a RMEF production, but it tells the story. Not just elk. Black bear, turkey, etc., etc.

LHS

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I just completed a mule deer hunt at the Bosque. It's a pretty piece of land. Poorly posted, and access is nil unless you have horses or are willing to walk miles. Why this matters is that it takes many points to hunt an antlered animal there and it's likely to be a once-in-a-lifetime thing where you are over 55 years of age unless you pull a youth tag. I was the only MD hunter there with 12 elk hunters and by the fifth day of the season, all the elk hunters were gone. Half left the second day, and by day five all were beaten by the terrain. Three hunters were successful, one with a youth tag, one with a handicap tag that allowed him access to the entire Bosque, and one PA hunter in his 70's who nailed a nice bull about a mile in from the gates. For what it was worth the average hunter in my group was in his 60's. Points to hunt the second rifle season was in the high teens for elk. 12 points for me for MD. Where the boundary of the Bosque started, your access stopped. My problem with this is by the time you have the points to hunt it, you physically can't. I wrote a letter to the governor, letting him know that most hunters were senior citizens that were able to draw a tag for this SWA just by virtue of playing the long game, and then couldn't get into the interior to hunt. As I write this I have not received a reply and don't expect one. Nor do I expect the CPW to change a thing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 74 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.