Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Judman
Have shared camps with guys that shoot bucks 100 yards plus regularly with archery equipment.

WOW +P+

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I brought your name up simply because you have a high dollar muzzleloader, and you shoot long range with it. How far can you accurately hit a deer with it? Elariah or wtf thinks it’s not possible. Glad I’m interesting. 👍

I've been on one scoped muzzie hunt in my life and killed a deer with it at 450 yards bang flop through the heart at 12k feet on a backpack hunt. I can shoot 3" groups at 500 yards with it but I've never spoken about it. It's pretty straight forward. It's basically a rifle and when the laws are changed it'll get a peep.

I've also got a dedicated peep muzzie for states like CO....

How's your shooting these days?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Have shared camps with guys that shoot bucks 100 yards plus regularly with archery equipment.

WOW +P+

Yeah - now that's absurd ...

- Greg

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GregW
I brought your name up simply because you have a high dollar muzzleloader, and you shoot long range with it. How far can you accurately hit a deer with it? Elariah or wtf thinks it’s not possible. Glad I’m interesting. 👍

I've been on one scoped muzzie hunt in my life and killed a deer with it at 450 yards bang flop through the heart at 12k feet on a backpack hunt. I can shoot 3" groups at 500 yards with it but I've never spoken about it. It's pretty straight forward. It's basically a rifle and when the laws are changed it'll get a peep.

Not bad, as you know, I recovered my “wounded” buck, unlike the one you lost, in was it Colorado or Utah?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe

WOW +P+

Yeah - now that's absurd ...

Just to clarify, he wasn’t a pard or a friend, professional poker player from California, hunted early archery hunts in Colorado and Utah, even stretched it to 130 yards so he said. That is a “hunter”. 👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Just to clarify, he wasn’t a pard or a friend, professional poker player from California, hunted early archery hunts in Colorado and Utah, even stretched it to 130 yards so he said. That is a “hunter”. 👍

Thanks for that clarification.His story I'm sure has impressed a lot of people. Just not in a good way...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Been outta the archery game for quite a while. With today’s setups, arrows, expandables etc maybe it’s possible?? Dunno? Hopefully not a whole buncha folks are doin it.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Been outta the archery game for quite a while. With today’s setups, arrows, expandables etc maybe it’s possible?? Dunno? Hopefully not a whole buncha folks are doin it.

It has probably stretched by the same percentage of guys that are now taking super long rifle shots at game.

500 yards with a rifle is now 1000

50 yard shot with a bow is now 100.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Not bad, as you know, I recovered my “wounded” buck, unlike the one you lost, in was it Colorado or Utah?

I've lost one buck in my life and that was it. Offhand at 70 yards. Think I hit him back. I looked for two days. I punched my tag and left and took two days to get outta the hole. I could have killed his running partner later which was a bigger buck but I didn't.

I'm not gonna do this with you Jud.

- Greg

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
👍 copy that. Kinda wondering why you respond to my posts after the “have a good one Jud “. It’ll be better this way.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
It’s a double edge sword. It sucks and won’t get any better. We need more hunters for a voice. Sometimes that voice doesn’t help our cause. It doesn’t help when every niche group is against the other. Or when one group’s “ethics” doesn’t align with another. I’ve made a living hunting and I’m probably the most uninformed hunter there is. I don’t watch hunting shows or belong to any organizations, I don’t go to shows. I get on here so I guess there’s that. I don’t put much thought in the draws. I don’t keep up with legislation. I really don’t give a sheet anymore. The other day some friends in the industry told me to listen to a podcast (which can be argued is hurting hunting too) that Matt rinella did on Blood origins. They set it up as he hit the nail on the head of what’s wrong with hunting today. I thought I was gonna agree with every word he said. I didn’t. He came on and started in on social media and how it’s the downfall of hunting. Some merit to that. But then it turned into a whine fest how he couldn’t get tags and only hunters who hunt for his reasons should be allowed to hunt and if you posted a pic of an animal you were basically a POS. Now don’t get me wrong I don’t give a piss about some flat billed gym rat who kills a forky or 200” or any hot attention whore that does it for likes. But the libertarian in me says they have the same right as anyone to hunt. Who am I to say just because you didn’t grow up hunting, you can’t now? I dunno. I’m just rambling. If you love to hunt you can make it a priority. If you love elk meat you might buy a cow tag. If you like killing sheet go whack some coyotes. I get a kick out of the guys that but $80k pickups, $5000 in rifles, $5000 in optics $30k in side by sides and wear matching designer camo then say they can’t afford a landowner tag or a hunt. Priorities. One thing that I never thought of as a negative was OnX. I guess just because where we live can be so checkerboard and land access issues are big. I thought it’s probably the greatest invention since lazer rangefinders. It just keeps us out of trouble. Like I said it sucks but there ain’t nothing we can do about it. It is what it is and we either roll with the punches or take up golf.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This Idaho buck supposedly ended up getting killed at over 100 yards with a bow. I am in no position to say it was right or wrong, nor do I know what kind of equipment/practice the guy had.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I do know a few folks with 80 yard pins on their bows that are as confident at that range as I am at 400 with a rifle. Right or wrong I am not sure how they could legislate distance restrictions when it comes to hunting. If they could, what then? How far you'd be allowed to cast a lure? I don't have those answers.

I would like to hear Saxton Pope and Art Young's thoughts on 40 yard shots with bows, as they sport hunted way before compounds were designed. 40 yard compound bow shots these days are completely accepted by about anyone, from an ethics standpoint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As regs change within a State, turning once otc tags for the entire State for archery into draw units...This change in Oregon has/will push archery hunters into West side hunting units that are still, otc.

Whenever the guys with bow tackle start showing up. The rifle units begin to explode with their friends and family, who don’t hunt archery, showing up with rifles to hunt the intel they got from a archery Pard.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Jud, do you not remember the year we hunted together you lost two bears and elk (or maybe vice versa), three critters total, earlier in the season before our hunt? And then there was a rodeo on your coues.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I knew it was a matter of time Clint. It was 1 bear, and a muzzleloader bull. Bears are like coyotes, make great maggot food. Elk sucks, but muzzleloaders are tough for doin damage to big critters, especially when they’re in country where you can’t see 5’ in front of your face, which you and most folks will never know…

Perhaps you should follow your advice on your last text to me, “ya Greg and I shouldn’t of said anything “..

PS, guys out west don’t get the opportunity to kill bucks trying to get into a high fence operation. 👍 that’s some shootin right there!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I knew it was a matter of time Clint. It was 1 bear, and a muzzleloader bull. Bears are like coyotes, make great maggot food. Elk sucks, but muzzleloaders are tough for doin damage to big critters, especially when they’re in country where you can’t see 5’ in front of your face, which you and most folks will never know…

Perhaps you should follow your advice on your last text to me, “ya Greg and I shouldn’t of said anything “..

PS, guys out west don’t get the opportunity to kill bucks trying to get into a high fence operation. 👍 that’s some shootin right there!

Jud,
Maybe clear your last post up a smidge. It reads like it’s okay to wound a bear or elk because they aren’t your kind of table eats.

I’m sure you meant something else, right?

🦫

“Molon Labe”
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jud,

Did Greg take you hunting for a week? Take a week out of his time, set up camp, provide all transportation, provide all food and cooking, "guide" daily, take you into his home, etc etc, all free of charge, out of the kindness of his heart? Hell of a way to treat someone who did that. Call them out by name in this thread, completely unprompted. No good deed goes unpunished. Its so weird to me. I can't even grasp it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You won’t find anyone that loves elk meat more than me mark. Dunno how you interpreted it that way? Bears are a predator, no more no less. I think of bears like the guys in Texas feel about pigs and auadad. I hope that’s alright

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Jud,

Did Greg take you hunting for a week, take a week out of his time, set up camp, provide all transportation, provide all food and cooking, "guide" daily, take you into his home, etc etc, all free of charge? Hell of a way to treat him. Call him out by name in this thread, completely unprompted. No good deed goes unpunished.

Clint, read and re read this post. I didn’t mention a name, a certain party thinks/thought I was targeting him, if said party feels they resemble that remark, than so be it, there’s nothing I can do about that. I can tell after the falling out, it’s getting more hostile, perhaps folks should block me?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You won’t find anyone that loves elk meat more than me mark. Dunno how you interpreted it that way? Bears are a predator, no more no less. I think of bears like the guys in Texas feel about pigs and auadad. I hope that’s alright

Read the “Elk Sucks” part after bear maggot feast.

Thought you meant you don’t like elk meat either.

My bad. Carry on.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,633
Posts18,455,226
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.