Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No name? And completely unprompted.

Originally Posted by Judman
see what “hunters” are doing in states that allow scopes on muzzleloaders. Maybe GregW for example will chime in about a muzzleloader with a scope will do??

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My bad. We live on elk meat, with the exception of a few ribeyes and New York steaks through out the year!! 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith

see what “hunters” are doing in states that allow scopes on muzzleloaders. Maybe GregW for example will chime in about a muzzleloader with a scope will do??

Jesus Christ Clint, you can’t be this dense?? Remember the group texts about how accurate his musket was??? Read the reply a couple above it where dude said i was full of shiit about ling range muzzleloaders. I was hoping, and he did post and gave the info that people do in fact shoot long range with with muskets. Thanks for clearing that up and setting the record straight Greg!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ElAhrairah
SLM, guess it depends on your definition of “good”. Technology is hurting us as much of more than the movie stars IMO. “Hunters” shootin game with rifles over 1000 yards, muskets accurate over 500, folks shooting bows over 100 yards, onyx, rangefinders, Bluetooth scope/rangefinders,are making folks way more successful than 15-20 years ago. Always bitched about Washington, but, I can hunt Blacktail, Muleys and whitetail every year with any weapon, Roosevelt and Rocky mtn branched bulls every year with any weapon, 2 bears and 2 cougar every year, then I can drive a hour south to Oregon and do pretty much the same thing, 6 hours east to Idaho, do pretty much the same thing again, 8 hours to Montana and hunt pretty much yearly in Montana. States like Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah and Colorado are gonna be the ones that are gonna see tougher and tougher draws from here on out. Kinda feel sorry for folks that have to “draw” a tag to hunt good buck units and branched bulls annually in their home state. Just gonna get worse I’m afraid

Theres still a 1 cougar bag limit in washington, not 2. And please provide evidence of +500 and +100 yard muzzie / archery hunters. Most hunters cant shoot a scoped rifle competently at 200, let alone an open sight muzzy at over 500. And a bow over 100? Get real 99% couldnt succeed at that at a foam target, let alone a moving animal. Pure sensationalism here.

Here ya go Clint 👊🏻

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I can tell after the falling out, it’s getting more hostile, perhaps folks should block me?

Greg host Jud and Clint for a week of hunting. Goes wayyyyyy above and beyond. Greg doesnt even have a tag, only Jud and Clint. Everything was great. Everyone enjoyed each other's company, we all left more than happy. Another hunt was planned for the following year. Again, this wasn't a hunt swap or anything like that. Nothing in return. Jud couldn't make the second hunt due to COVID travel restrictions from his home state, Washington. Everyone was bummed. Then there is a "falling out". I don't even know the reason. Apparently social media (don't kid yourself, the campfire is social media) trumps actual real life experiences. Strange times we live in. Very strange.

IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sure way to bond a friendship or bust it is to spend a week long hunt with someone. I have cemented some lifelong friendships with guys that I hunted with at a mutual friend’s invite and on the other hand hunted with “friends” who showed true colors on a hunt and whom I seldom see anymore. Works both ways…

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by WAM
Sure way to bond a friendship or bust it is to spend a week long hunt with someone.

Thats what one would think.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I can't imagine anyone getting tired of me in just a week.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Ha. I bet.

The list of guys I'd spend a week in camp with, twice, is very very short. Jud was on that list. Good dude to hang around with. Not the personality you'd expect from just reading internet post. But there is a "falling out" on the Campfire. There is nothing beneath the surface that I know of. Only what has transpired on the pages at the Fire. Sad.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Same here. I've known me for a long time and I really like myself.

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Sorry, I’m able to buy 2 longtail tags. Before ya flip your lip, see what “hunters” are doing in states that allow scopes on muzzleloaders. Maybe GregW for example will chime in about a muzzleloader with a scope will do?? I’m sure there are more. Have shared camps with guys that shoot bucks 100 yards plus regularly with archery equipment. There has been no mention of “open sighted muskets killin at 500 yards plus… 👍

Not in washington. 1 cougar per year. Youre talking out your azz. You can get 2 in one CALENDAR year, yes, because our hunting license year is april 1st through marck 31st. So you could fill your 2021 lion tag in say february of 2022, then fill your 2022 lion tag in april or september of 2022, but its 2 different license years. If you did that youd have to wait until april 2023 to fill a 23 tag, and if you did that you couldbt hunt lion again until april 24. Its one per license year statewide.

You clearly dont understand the regs. Have you killed a cougar in washington since 96? I have, but ive never had the option of buying a second cougar tag. Go ahead and get on wdfw website and try to buy a "second cougar tag". Seriously, post up a pic of your 2 longtail tags with the same license year on them.
Pretty please. Id love to see it. [Linked Image from pic8.co]

Last edited by ElAhrairah; 05/01/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

SLM, guess it depends on your definition of “good”. Technology is hurting us as much of more than the movie stars IMO. “Hunters” shootin game with rifles over 1000 yards, muskets accurate over 500, folks shooting bows over 100 yards, onyx, rangefinders, Bluetooth scope/rangefinders,are making folks way more successful than 15-20 years ago. Always bitched about Washington, but, I can hunt Blacktail, Muleys and whitetail every year with any weapon, Roosevelt and Rocky mtn branched bulls every year with any weapon, 2 bears and 2 cougar every year, then I can drive a hour south to Oregon and do pretty much the same thing, 6 hours east to Idaho, do pretty much the same thing again, 8 hours to Montana and hunt pretty much yearly in Montana. States like Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah and Colorado are gonna be the ones that are gonna see tougher and tougher draws from here on out. Kinda feel sorry for folks that have to “draw” a tag to hunt good buck units and branched bulls annually in their home state. Just gonna get worse I’m afraid
Duirng a Utah DWR meeting about what to do to help the mule deer in the NE part of the state, an old ranch hand/biologist had an idea. He said limit hunters to 2WD pickups and open sighted lever action rifles! wink laugh

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jesus Christ sally, stew on it for a week and still I can buy 2 cougar tags in a year..

Now as far as “talking out my ass”, get back to flipping your lip of rifles and muskets and far guys “aren’t “ shootin them accurately. Make sure you don’t go full pelosi, again. 👊🏻

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by pointer

Duirng a Utah DWR meeting about what to do to help the mule deer in the NE part of the state, an old ranch hand/biologist had an idea. He said limit hunters to 2WD pickups and open sighted lever action rifles! wink laugh

Haha that would probably help a bit!! 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Let me chim in here regarding Oregon. It's much harder to draw tags now. First in NE Oregon every unit is a draw including bow for deer and elk. Decent rifle units can take several years to draw. As a senior 65 I may not draw a cow tag again until I am almost 70. Now you can hunt blacktail and Rosie's over the counter but you also need to buy a Wherehouser permit if you can to hunt alot of the lands on NW Oregon.

As along time bowhunter it kills me to hear about 100 yard shots. On a elk if they take a step when the arrow is flight you go from lungs to butt. So things are changing dramatically.

Last edited by ehunter; 05/11/22.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Let me chim in here regarding Oregon. It's much harder to draw tags now. First in NE Oregon every unit is a draw including bow for deer and elk. Decent rifle units can take several years to draw. As a senior 65 I may not draw a cow tag again until I am almost 70. Now you can hunt blacktail and Rosie's over the counter but you also need to buy a Wherhouser permit if you can to hunt alot of the lands on NW Oregon. As along time bowhunter it kills me to hear about 100 yard shots. On a elk if they take a step when the arrow is flight you go from lungs to butt. So things are changing dramatically.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Worried a bit about new shooters here. For the first time in over 30 years we canceled a pending hunter education class limited to 15 seats. Only had 3 sign up. Until now we typically turn away 2 or 3 hoping to secure walk in seats.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
Worried a bit about new shooters here. For the first time in over 30 years we canceled a pending hunter education class limited to 15 seats. Only had 3 sign up. Until now we typically turn away 2 or 3 hoping to secure walk in seats.

Our state went to an online course for 16 yrs and up. We still offer traditional class or a hybrid online with a field day for those below 16 yrs old. But those below 16 yrs old can hunt with a licensed adult and not need hunter education as long as they are with the adult.

Our state governor slapped covid classroom restrictions on hunter education instructors as to the distancing, mask wearing for everyone and if any student caught covid the liability fell back on to the volunteer instructors. That pissed off a LOT of instructors, because before the state covered instructor liability as long as the instructors ran a safe course. I teach H.E. but after that letter we received from the state, I wasn't going to risk losing my house to pay for a student's medical bills if they got covid sick from attending one of our classes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have some online courses, but kids < 18 yrs must still attend a hands-on field day session and pass our Or state test. Adults can take an online course and be issued a card without ever touching a firearm. That surfaced when some adults discovered they needed a card regardless of age in a few states. Once one reaches 18 in Oregon, no card is required.

The preference in this community is to do our 14-16 hr hands on sit down class and our live fire range session. Our test, however, was recently dumbed down. Average score in our last class was 98%.

When virus mandates were on, we had about an 18-month window with no in person classes in Oregon. Presently, we have no virus restrictions in effect with life essentially back to normal.

1Minute
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,520
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.