R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MLC
Originally Posted by rost495
The folks want to see homer and fish homer. once in a lifetime for them. I'll be busy on the Talkeetna all summer so no control of what they want.

Wouldn't be what I'd do but it is what it is.

I’ll be there in May to fish the Talkeetna.

Enjoy. not at all my favorite month to fish the Talkeetna but it does provide decent trout at that time.

I'll be in Cold Bay all of May.

Who are you fishing with out of Talkeetna?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Whatchu doing in Cold bay, Jeff?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We booked with captain Shane of Driftwood charters last August and had a great multi fish catch with him.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That’s the type of grocery shopping that I would never tire of. Nice haul crittr….that bottom king is a fat football of a fish. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Whatchu doing in Cold bay, Jeff?

working for Rich Guthrie.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Google "Current Lady" -------Central Charters Homer AK

Definitely one of - if not THE - nicest boats in the fleet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Was down looking for feeders the last few days and talked to one of my charter buddies (Arctic Addiction) and he said summer ‘22 is essentially full, ‘23 is filling, and they are putting spots in the book for ‘24.

R.I.P. JB.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yeah charters are booming. Apparently people want to travel and fish.

Halibut Charter permits have gone up 3x in the last 5 years

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well, what do you expect when the Commercials have a lock on the allocation / "management" board?

That won't change until a better balance of user interest (fat chance) is achieved. I'd like to see a definitive quota set (my preference would be 50-50 Commercial/ other - and then a further split of charter/private, with the private free of the size restrictions, (at least) but then I'd like to see pigs fly, too.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's talk going around of a "halibut stamp" coming out that the money would go towards buying up quota from the commercials.
Sounds like a great idea, until the quota gets bought up and then the feds just reissue quota again because the big money operations pay off the politicians.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
There's talk going around of a "halibut stamp" coming out that the money would go towards buying up quota from the commercials.
Sounds like a great idea, until the quota gets bought up and then the feds just reissue quota again because the big money operations pay off the politicians.

A quota poison pill... who woulda thunk it?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And the quotas bought up by the commercials or charters?

I'd think 50% Commercial, ironclad- no other hinking allowed, 25% charter, 25% private would be equitable, under any over-all limit. Any un-used quota, any source, could only help the resource.

Last edited by las; 04/20/22.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
There's a bunch of people who like to eat halibut throughout the US of A. Most of those can't charter a boat and go out fun fishing and bring a few home to eat. They depend on others to catch their fish for them so they can eat. My guess is halibut was historically a commercial only fisheries that the sports are trying to privatize for themselves.

Life is good live it while you can.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
IIRC, Alaska's rules are for "best use". Both commercially, commerce, and for us "eaters", that ain't Commercial fishermen take mostly out of Washington state..

State rules says "subsistence first , personal use second, commercial third.. That ain't the way it is currently.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Some friends up here once bought fresh crab off a boat in Homer, to treat their east coast relatives on their trip back. .It was cheaper, commercially, in Boston....

Just saying...

(They might have been took.... ) smile

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
There's a bunch of people who like to eat halibut throughout the US of A. Most of those can't charter a boat and go out fun fishing and bring a few home to eat. They depend on others to catch their fish for them so they can eat. My guess is halibut was historically a commercial only fisheries that the sports are trying to privatize for themselves.

No- halibut catching was historically subsistence, then personal use/commercial. Google Native halibut hooks. Pretty neat ! As I understand it, they crafted them for size they wanted to catch. A 300# er out of a Kayak could have been interesting! smile

I can't - or don't want to- afford local commercial in-store halibut prices. Which are often higher than OUTSIDE. If I charter, it's with the mind-set that it's a boat ride. Any halibut taken home is a bonus. But it is fresh, not brought in dead, thrown in an ice hold, transported thousands of miles under questionable handling, and sold by retail people who know fuq-all...

That way, I don't home go dis-appointed.. smile

If you can't afford store prices of $16/ lb and up, for somewhat questionable product, it's beyond your "so they can eat" stipulation.

Go out and kill a deer with your $1500 dollar gun/scope gear. Each.

No offense intended

But I got me a Rubber Ducky (Achilles inflatable) and 30 hp Everscrewed that I intend to go out and make meat with off Deep Creek or Ninilchik this spring.. The rules I am supposed to follow are ridiculous.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Dead wrong. It was a subsistance fish long before it was commercially feasible to haul it all the way back to Seattle to market. Sportfishing was big at an early time.

Quite literally, AK cods were not marketable until they wiped out Grand Banks cod and had to find new sources. That was '90s! Lingcod from AK were not marketable until other white fish got scarce, despite the incredible quality.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Dead wrong. It was a subsistance fish long before it was commercially feasible to haul it all the way back to Seattle to market. Sportfishing was big at an early time.

Quite literally, AK cods were not marketable until they wiped out Grand Banks cod and had to find new sources. That was '90s! Lingcod from AK were not marketable until other white fish got scarce, despite the incredible quality.

I think your wrong besides the substance fisheries, but don't let facts get in the way of a good story.
https://fishingbooker.com/blog/history-of-halibut-fishing-in-alaska/

Life is good live it while you can.
D
D
Originally Posted by RickBin
Originally Posted by ironbender
Still limit of two - 1 chicken and 1 halibut on charters?

Yep. Hardly worth going anymore, unless you just really enjoy going fishing. Luckily I haven't had to do a "charter" in a long while.
I'm not up on Homer charters anymore, but check with Bobs trophy charters or Buttwackers, I've heard good things about them.
Or drive back up to Ninilchik and go with J&J smart or KeyO's. You get the advantage of a shorter boat ride and a cool beach launch.

This man knows whereof he speaks.

It's worth the drive up to Ninilchick just to see the skidder launch the boats.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

It’s a complicated program that is super expensive. I opposed it.

Basically charter rqe can buy no more than 1% a year, max 10%. It will eliminate GAF once it gets about 8% as 10% is the max total of the two.

It’s going to drive Ifq prices sky high. Glad I own some.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I can tell you own a commercial fishing business.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,609
Posts18,454,873
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.