Print Thread
Hop To
J
JD7 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Wondering what the opinions are around here on who makes the better northwest muzzleloaders CVA or Traditions and whose breechplug is better designed for loose powder.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have the traditions pursuit , use 209’s blackhorn and federal bor loks for Washington. Gotta figure something out for Oregon this year, gonna draw a great Blacktail tag, can only use #11 or musket caps, lead bullets with zero plastic

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Judman
I have the traditions pursuit , use 209’s blackhorn and federal bor loks for Washington. Gotta figure something out for Oregon this year, gonna draw a great Blacktail tag, can only use #11 or musket caps, lead bullets with zero plastic

If your shooting a .50 cal.....check out the no excuses website, and order the sample pack, of different diameters.
https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/product/50-caliber-sizing-pack/

Once you figure the right diameter, for your gun, order a variety of bullet weights. 460 grains seems to be the consensus, for the "sweet spot".
https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/product/50-caliber-sampler-pack/

Andy3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Andy3

If your shooting a .50 cal.....check out the no excuses website, and order the sample pack, of different diameters.

Once you figure the right diameter, for your gun, order a variety of bullet weights. 460 grains seems to be the consensus, for the "sweet spot".

Andy3

That’s my first move Andy. Do you use em in Idaho? How do they do?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Andy3

Andy3

That’s my first move Andy. Do you use em in Idaho? How do they do?

I do use them, but I run a 54 caliber, so I use the 525 grain/.541 bullet. Accuracy is great with it, running 1.5" to 2.5" at 100 yards, with peep sights....depending on me, more than the rifle or load. The secret to these bullets, is to use an over powder felt, under the bullet.....one size larger than your bore. I use a 58 caliber felt in my 54, if you are shooting a 50 cal, use a 54 caliber felt. It cut my groups in half.

While the bullet is very accurate, it is soft. I shot a cow elk last year at 14 yards on the leading edge of the near shoulder/at the base of the neck. It killed the elk stone dead, but she stopped the bullet. I got 2 mangled pieces back, that weighed a total of 468 grains. With soft lead, that is what happens when you drive them hard, up close. The bullet behaves perfectly at 100-125 yards. So, it's kinda pick your poison.....drive them hard for longer shots, or drive them slower for closer shots.

So....during the off season, I have been experimenting with paper patched bullets. Mixing a harder alloy, that is still accurate, and will give me performance up close and further out. I'm casting a .533 bullet with a .419 flat nose...smooth sided that measures .537 after being wrapped, and weighs 520 grains. I'm getting 2.5" groups at 100 yards, and the bullet holds it shape much better, while penetrating 12"-18" of dirt bank. Very promising, so far....

So.....I think no excuses are great bullets, though soft. I don't know of any commercially made, full bore diameter bullet, that isn't. IF you put it in the ribs, I'm sure it will work just fine....even more so, with deer. I'm just trying to make a better mouse trap....nothing against their product.

Sorry about being so long winded with my answer....but that's been my experience with them, and where I'm at now.

Andy3

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I and my buddies shot Knight bighorn or wolverine rifles. I haven’t killed anything with my 54 and no-excuses bullets but they shoot well.
In my 52 Bighorn I’ve had great success with Parker Production HydroCon. I had some bad experiences with maxi-balls in my old 50 and switched to the HydroCon and shooting elk IN the shoulder, bottom third at the heart. The bullets don’t mess up much meat but it breaks them down and hits more vital stuff than behind the shoulder in the ribs.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No worries, thanks for the write up and great info Andy. 👊🏻👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Sample of one and I'm a flintlock guy, but I bought a CVA Optima NW version for my Dad, he wanted a muzzleloader for hunting but didn't care/want a trad gun. It has shot very well with loose pyrodex and lead powerbelts. Its the stainless version with camo stock. The trigger is excellent and good fiber optic sights. The thing that impressed me the most other than how handy it is and the trigger was the ease of removing the breechpulg for cleaning. After 10ish shots it was easily removeable by light finger strength. I put lithium choke tube lube on the threads and it has been consistently easy to remove. We have some Hornady great plains bullets to try and I want him to try some of my 320gr REAL's in it too, the powerbelts are too soft for elk IMO. If I was in the market for an inline that's NW legal I would buy it again.
I have heard nothing but good about no excuses bullets, several friends use them with good success on elk. I haven't tried them personally as I have another hundred or so REAL's cast that shoot great out of my flintlock with 90gr 2f Swiss and greased felt wad, worked very well on elk.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 57 invisible), 3,361 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.