Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A shotgun that doesn't center it's patterns ain't worth a shyt no matter the name stamped on the barrel, how much it cost or how nicely finished and will not live in my safe.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A shotgun that doesn't center it's pattern is more common than you think. And while it may shoot to point of aim with some loads it might not with other loads or chokes. With that said, I agree 100%, if the gun, choke, load, sight system doesn't shoot to point of aim it is useless to me. For game shooting a flat 50/50 or 60/40 pattern centered at point of aim is perfect.

Last edited by MOGC; 04/25/22.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MOGC
A shotgun that doesn't center it's pattern is more common than you think. And while it may shoot to point of aim with some loads it might not with other loads or chokes. With that said, I agree 100%, if the gun, choke, load, sight system doesn't shoot to point of aim it is useless to me. For game shooting a flat 50/50 or 60/40 pattern centered at point of aim is perfect.
I know how common they are. I've had a bunch. They were either fixed or don't live here anymore.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

Do you really want my honest opinion ?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Do I have a choice?

IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You ever watch the TK and Mike videos ?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No

Last edited by 10Glocks; 05/07/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A shotgun that doesn't shoot to POA probably just needs a little adjustment....or the shooter just needs to practice mounting that gun.
They make shims, cheek pads, ramps, beads, sights and optics that can change POI to dead center. (It actually adjusts the gun to the shooters eye!)

Too bad we can't all afford a Purdey & Sons fine double gun built to fit you.
Half a king's ransom* and they begin building to your specifications. A year later, you are summoned to the Purdey shooting grounds where you shoot the piece.
Back at the factory, the piece is then "adjusted" to "YOU", the artisans built a walnut, velvet lined case to hold your prize.
You surrender the other half of the king's ransom and you and your fitted shotgun fly home!

* - probably in the neighborhood of $250K these days!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I only have one shotgun that shoots 50/50 at 40 yards and that's my Ithaca. All the rest print 60/40 or worse at 40 yards. That video is distorted. That bird was only about 50 feet away when I shot. And it wasn't a typical presentation. That bird was mainly behined the truck with it's head sticking straight out. I took a bead on his head and shot and missed cleanly. The bird then flew down and took off. I search for over an hour to make sure it didn't run off and die, but never found it. No saw blood or any evidence at all of that bird being hit. At 50 feet, I am sure I shot over it's head. I had an opportunity for a second shot when it started to fly down but didn't want to take a belly shot. I wish I didn't take that shot. That deer running in and all the noise got me a birt excited. Tureky fever, I guess. Lesson learned.

This was essentially what I was shooting at:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a shot at a gobbler in a tree just like that a few years back. Several years ago I heard a gobbler sound off down in a long flat holler just before daylight. I snuck down in there and got close to where I thought he had gobbled from. I was sitting against a tree waiting for daylight and heard a noise above me in a tree a few yards to my left. I figured it was an early rising squirrel. I heard it again and took a peek up and was surprised to see four hens roosted within ten yards of me on my left. Of course they were all staring straight at me. I swing my eyes around and saw the gobbler roosted about fifteen yards off to my right and a little in front of me. And he was also staring straight at me. In the early dark I had slipped right into the middle of those roosted turkeys.

I could have shot him out of the tree but that's not how I wanted to kill my bird. The hens flushed and flew to the ground about 100+ yards away and the gobbler followed immediately. They walked off and I could hear him gobble off and on for the next hour or so and then it got quiet in the woods. I checked my topo map and they were headed toward a big long flat top ridge. I went down the holler about a mile and slipped across and up on that ridgetop. I sat up there quietly for about thirty minutes and then started giving a few clucks and soft yelps every twenty minutes or so. At 11:00 after a soft cluck or two I saw my bird strutting about 80 yards away. That old bird had not gobbled once coming in but he knew he was close to that "hen" and was sure putting on a show. I shut up and shot him about 20 minutes later at around 25 yards as he slipped along looking for that hen. I had a 3.5 mile hike across some up/down steep Ozark timber to get back to the truck but it was all good. It was a satisfying hunt in the Ozark's National Wild and Scenic Rivers wilderness area.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I never in my entire life saw a video as stupid as the one you posted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have. grin grin grin

P.S. I think you'd sell more trumpets if you let Zach Farmer or someone else run them on YouTube for you. Be better advertising.

P.P.S. If I sounded like that with a diaphragm............ I would be embarrassed to do it in front of people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgMoIdGYoBw&t=75s

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I only have one shotgun that shoots 50/50 at 40 yards and that's my Ithaca. All the rest print 60/40 or worse at 40 yards. That video is distorted. That bird was only about 50 feet away when I shot. And it wasn't a typical presentation. That bird was mainly behined the truck with it's head sticking straight out. I took a bead on his head and shot and missed cleanly. The bird then flew down and took off. I search for over an hour to make sure it didn't run off and die, but never found it. No saw blood or any evidence at all of that bird being hit. At 50 feet, I am sure I shot over it's head. I had an opportunity for a second shot when it started to fly down but didn't want to take a belly shot. I wish I didn't take that shot. That deer running in and all the noise got me a birt excited. Tureky fever, I guess. Lesson learned.

This was essentially what I was shooting at:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Reefing down a click or two tighter on the magazine cap can lower the point of impact a surprising amount on a high shooting gun. I've also bent barrels and reamed chokes eccentricly to bring poi to poa. I simply would not tolerate anything worse than a 60/40 pattern.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yoder409
I have. grin grin grin

P.S. I think you'd sell more trumpets if you let Zach Farmer or someone else run them on YouTube for you. Be better advertising.

P.P.S. If I sounded like that with a diaphragm............ I would be embarrassed to do it in front of people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgMoIdGYoBw&t=75s

Sounds like an asthmatic kid playing basketball in a pollen storm.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I could have shot him out of the tree but that's not how I wanted to kill my bird.

I certainly wouldn't shoot a bird that's still roosting in the morning. I don't even move in on roosting birds. But this bird had been on the ground for 2 or more hours and came into my call, got spooked, and flew into a tree. I figure he's a fair game as he would be on the ground.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Reefing down a click or two tighter on the magazine cap can lower the point of impact a surprising amount on a high shooting gun. I've also bent barrels and reamed chokes eccentricly to bring poi to poa. I simply would not tolerate anything worse than a 60/40 pattern.

I've never heard that. I usually tighten my magazine cap to the point of getting that last detent click.

As far as a shotgun that doesn't shoot at least 60/40, I stopped using my Benelli Super Nova for that very reason. Not sure what it prints, but its way worse than 60/40. Maybe 70/30 or worse. I've got some new Carlsons chokes for it I haven't tried. Maybe those will help.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I've never heard that. I usually tighten my magazine cap to the point of getting that last detent click.

As far as a shotgun that doesn't shoot at least 60/40, I stopped using my Benelli Super Nova for that very reason. Not sure what it prints, but its way worse than 60/40. Maybe 70/30 or worse. I've got some new Carlsons chokes for it I haven't tried. Maybe those will help.
If I go two clicks beyond just "normal tight" to "gorilla grip farmer tight" on my BPS it lowers the pattern 6" at 30 yards.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

I could have shot him out of the tree but that's not how I wanted to kill my bird.

I certainly wouldn't shoot a bird that's still roosting in the morning. I don't even move in on roosting birds. But this bird had been on the ground for 2 or more hours and came into my call, got spooked, and flew into a tree. I figure he's a fair game as he would be on the ground.

If he came to that calling he was a mentally retarded turkey.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm blaming the deer. That bird would have walked in if it hadn't been spooked by that deer.

The gobbler saw you move then started putting....then you went to talking and really moving combined with the bull frOg calling and he went up in the tree to see what you were up to.

You should never have fired the shot at him in a tree like you did....he's probably walking around carrying one of your pellets as the gangrene sets in.

I showed the video to my buddy from Virginia he said no way that guy is from Virginia he has to be from up North to be that dumb.

Between you and the phoney Yoder409 and the Pappy idiot I'd say this board has three of the dumbest sObs I've ever come across in my entire life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good morning, Luther !!!!!

On 5/5/22 you told me that you killed a bird at your buddies in Powhatan, Virginia. Yet on your own website yesterday you posted that you hadn't seen any gobblers this year. Weird.

So, how about you post a pick of this bird you killed in Powhatan, Virginia along with a screenshot of your Virginia Non-Resident's license and a screenshot of your eNotch that confirms you tagged your bird in compliance with the law and when and where it was killed.

How we comin' with this ?? Ready to prove you're not an internet phony AND an outlaw ?? Should be simple..........right old pal ???

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,171 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,235
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.