Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I really want to like them. I know they are shooters overall, but that fore end kills it for me. Get rid of the finger grooves and I would buy 3 or 4.

GreggH

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Picked up a RAP in 6mm Creedmoor for $490 last week, ordered a B&C and Timney that shipped next day, sold the OEM trigger and stock on Fleabay for ~$200, so now I have a decent threaded 6mm Creedmoor in a B&C with a Timney trigger for about $750. If you've checked the price of 6mm CM rifles lately that is a bargain. Undecided on optics. Thinking hard about either a 3-16 FFP Sightron from Doug or a used 3-15 super chicken if I can find one, probably in Talley LWs. Not a fan of a rail on lighter rifles.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I found out the RAR has an adjustable trigger . It took just a few minutes to adjust it. I is likely about 3 lbs now, down from at least 4 lbs.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Easy to get it to 2# or under with an aftermarket spring

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I will see how this one works first.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Picked up a RAP in 6mm Creedmoor for $490 last week, ordered a B&C and Timney that shipped next day, sold the OEM trigger and stock on Fleabay for ~$200, so now I have a decent threaded 6mm Creedmoor in a B&C with a Timney trigger for about $750. If you've checked the price of 6mm CM rifles lately that is a bargain. Undecided on optics. Thinking hard about either a 3-16 FFP Sightron from Doug or a used 3-15 super chicken if I can find one, probably in Talley LWs. Not a fan of a rail on lighter rifles.

I love what you have done there. Any idea what it weighs sans scope? Did you go from AICS mags to flush or did the rifle come with flush when you bought it?

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 04/08/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GreggH
I really want to like them. I know they are shooters overall, but that fore end kills it for me. Get rid of the finger grooves and I would buy 3 or 4.

GreggH

The forend is fine. All it needs is a bit of epoxy in the cross hatch to firm it up. No big deal.

The Ruger American Rifle is an inexpensive, dependable, accurate rifle. It was built for that purpose. People that want to drool over a rifle can go spend untolled thousands on fancy rifles. I look at rifles as tools. They either work for their intended purpose, or they are useless to me. I don't baby any of them.

I have some nice rifles, but I have no use for them, if they do not shoot. I don't buy them to look at. I only have the one RA, but I would own another in a heartbeat.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Couple of people I hunt with have them in 6.5 Creed. They shoot small groups but I think they are ugly as hell.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by ChrisAU

I love what you have done there. Any idea what it weighs sans scope? Did you go from AICS mags to flush or did the rifle come with flush when you bought it?

Went from AICS to flush. Just bought a flush mag to go with it. I knew the AICS stock would fetch more $ on eBay, not that I had a choice but it was nice knowing I had that coming when I ordered the B&C. I’ll get a weight on it in just a bit, been meaning to do that. Still haven’t picked an optic. I ordered Talley lows this morning for it because I had settled on either an SWFA 3-9/3-15 or the Sightron 3-16 and then tonight I got a line on an NF F1 3.5-15 that I’ve always wanted, but it’s not a done deal yet so we’ll see.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It’s 7lbs 2oz with the rail removed. May send it to fat camp/Kampfeld for a weight reduction. I like spending money on cheap guns lol.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Couple of people I hunt with have them in 6.5 Creed. They shoot small groups but I think they are ugly as hell.

Some of us find beauty in rifles that just shoot small groups...

Ugly but good shooter is prettier, than Gorgeous looking but poor accuracy....

I'm Hillbilly practical in that way....

Like my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendal just fine...

can carry it in the rain, thru thick brush scrapping it all over the place, and it just shucks that off, with no changes in finish appearances...

with the Grendal chambering.. I just look at it as a 30/30 alternative, with more flatter shooting....

with a 129 or 140 grain bullet, it'll drop a deer on the spot with a well placed shot....and the bullet will completely pass thru and keep on going...

there is plenty of beauty in that for me...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

Some of us find beauty in rifles that just shoot small groups...

Ugly but good shooter is prettier, than Gorgeous looking but poor accuracy....

I'm Hillbilly practical in that way....

Like my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendal just fine...

can carry it in the rain, thru thick brush scrapping it all over the place, and it just shucks that off, with no changes in finish appearances...

with the Grendal chambering.. I just look at it as a 30/30 alternative, with more flatter shooting....

with a 129 or 140 grain bullet, it'll drop a deer on the spot with a well placed shot....and the bullet will completely pass thru and keep on going...

there is plenty of beauty in that for me...

Exactly.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
wish Ruger would make the LH RAR with a AISC mag. Would love to have a LH 6.5 Grendel with AISC mag.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Just bought the Ruger American Predator in .22-250. I would like to buy a spare magazine to keep on hand. What or which magazine would you guys recommend?

Thanx!
Hip

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Ruger American predator rifle is interesting........good design, but don't sell as well as they should

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by kk alaska
wish Ruger would make the LH RAR with a AISC mag. Would love to have a LH 6.5 Grendel with AISC mag.

Don't need the Asics mag for a Grendel the standard AR mag works well

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got the 6CM out this morning. Grabbed a SWFA 10x on the sale this week. First group using Norma match stuff was about 1”. Then shot a 5 shot 0.53” group with factory Hornady ELD-X. Used the reticle for a 1.5 MIL hold on a 10” gong at 415 yards and centered it twice. Guess I’ll use that ammo. Talk about pleasant shooting with the Timney and the suppressor. Not much more recoil than a 223.

Damn thing won’t eject a spent case though, hits the windage turret and goes right back in the action. For punching paper it’s fine, it ejects if you roll the rifle to the right. Idk. May just not worry about it.

Last edited by ChrisAU; 04/24/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by boatanchor
The Ruger American predator rifle is interesting........good design, but don't sell as well as they should

What information do you have about RAR-Ps not selling as well as they should?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
Just bought the Ruger American Predator in .22-250. I would like to buy a spare magazine to keep on hand. What or which magazine would you guys recommend?

Thanx!
Hip

There are two replacement mags that work better than the rotary mag. The rotary mag in my American would let the cartridge pop up vertically in warm weather. There is simply too much taper in the .22-250 case. I first called Ruger and they sent me a free replacement mag. Same issue. Then I bought the mag for a .450 bushmaster. It worked great, but stuck down from the stock about an inch. No real issue- just awkward. Finally Ruger came out with a staggered, flush fitting mag. It works great without the sowbelly look. I use the original mags in my Creedmoor.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,718
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.