Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MickinColo
Originally Posted by Windknot
Nice MC! I'm fixing to go hit the local creek for just a while before all the good football games. I've got a good selection of graphite rods, but today I'm using my Eagle Claw 8.5' 5wt with the Hardy made SA Reel. You got some jewels there!

I worked for Wright & McGill Co. for almost 45 years. I wore many hats for them over those years. About 30 years ago (been retired for 5 years now) I had the pleasure of digging out all the historical archived rods they and Grainger made over the years, long before I hired on. My job was to inspect them, made sure they were in fact what was written on the tube cap, inventory them and seal them in new boxes. 95% (over 100) where bambo rods taken from the assembly line and placed in the safe. The others were the founders personal rods. Opening the tubes and looking at those beauties and smelling the tung oil that was as strong as the day it was made, was a joy.

Oh, that would have been amazing. I don't suppose you remember if any of those bamboo rods were the "Registered" model? Granger's top of the line?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't remember any models (I'm lucky if I remember what I did yesterday) there were a lot of very nice rods though. One of Wright & McGill's top shelf lines was the “Presidential”, there were a number of those in the mix.

There was also a few prototype casting rods. They were pretty but God those things were heavy, you would need Popeye arms to cast those things for more then an hour.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Doesn’t have to be expensive.
eBay bamboo rod, $95….My mothers old Medalist, $free…..fly shop bargain bin DD fly line, $25

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Tiny trout from tiny streams…….priceless. 😎😁

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Absolutely. I have 2 DT lines coming from The Fly Shack, unlabled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
pretty little guys

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Those little guys are my favorite to catch and eat..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

Gnoahhh and I hit up Big Hunting Creek in the Catoctins Saturday and he found the #3 weight line that felt good yard casting on his new #2 was way overweight once we were on the water so I'm sure he'll be interested in your results.

We got up there and temps were in the mid 50's then it started sprinkling and then is started blowing like stink and then is started raining and then the temps started dropping and the rain started sinking our flies.

We went west sought refuge in http://thebroadaxe.com/the-place/ It was our only good idea for the day. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Looks like a cool place Pugs.. I have only been to Maryland a couple times in my life.. But this place looks cool.. Living in beef country that sea food looks awesome... Hope you had a cool craft brew...

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Going to circle back to the o.p.’s points…. Indeed if you’ve been away from the sport a while you might experience sticker shock. But what hasn’t gone up in price over fifteen or twenty years. Nice thing is most manufacturers do offer their products across varied price ranges. If you do your homework you can usually find something that will work for you at a price your comfortable with. As to the comment about fly lines I think the prices reflect the technology changes that have evolved over the last fifteen odd years and a lot of the lines are still made in the U.S.A. Made in the U.S.A. Is going to come at a higher cost.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

Gnoahhh and I hit up Big Hunting Creek in the Catoctins Saturday and he found the #3 weight line that felt good yard casting on his new #2 was way overweight once we were on the water so I'm sure he'll be interested in your results.

We got up there and temps were in the mid 50's then it started sprinking and then is started blowing like stink and then is started raining and then the temps started dropping and the rain started sinking our flies.

We went west sought refuge in http://thebroadaxe.com/the-place/ It was our only good idea for the day. grin

Big Hunting Creek is a stereotypical mountain freestone creek with greatly varied water: tumbling rapids that end in deep pools interspersed with long stretches of "old guy wadable" slack water. A healthy population of wild browns in the lower stretches and darling brookies up higher. Give it a whirl if you're within striking distance. (Plus it's right down the hill from Camp David. You can stop by and say hi to "Brandon" while you're up there! Haha!)

The Broad Axe was a favorite haunt of mine in my salad years. I was relieved when Pugs approached my shivering drowned-rat self and suggested we decamp to a warm bar. It allowed me to save face and not be the one to cry "Hold, enough!" Sometimes it's as good to talk about fishing as it is to do it.

Yeah, I made the classic mistake of judging a rod/line combo by only lawn casting it - the 3wt triangle taper that worked beautifully for short 20-25 foot casts (which I knew would be the order of the day on Big Hunting Creek) in the backyard became like a ship's hauser on that 1.7 ounce 2wt rod once it got wet. D'oh!! Could've been God getting back at me for not using my usual 4 or 5 weight bamboos! Dunno.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Side note: Big Hunting Creek was Jimmy Carter's favorite local trout stream when he was president.

The Secret Service used him for bait.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SS336
Tiny trout from tiny streams…….priceless. 😎😁

Pretty happy to chase those the rest of my life and plan to do that in NH

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
They are beautiful fish. The only ones that would interest me on the east coast.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Interest being trout, well char. The rest are stocked

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tuna
Going to circle back to the o.p.’s points…. Indeed if you’ve been away from the sport a while you might experience sticker shock. But what hasn’t gone up in price over fifteen or twenty years. Nice thing is most manufacturers do offer their products across varied price ranges. If you do your homework you can usually find something that will work for you at a price your comfortable with. As to the comment about fly lines I think the prices reflect the technology changes that have evolved over the last fifteen odd years and a lot of the lines are still made in the U.S.A. Made in the U.S.A. Is going to come at a higher cost.

Excellent points here. Today there are so many quality gear choices for every budget or style caster. Also the used market is a great place to pick up like new gear higher quality gear shipped right to your door. Many people like to have the latest thing and they trade out of barely used gear to be able afford to do that.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
If you need quality used fly fishing gear check out www.Washingtonflyfishing.com I am a Winston rod lover. $1000.00 a rod is a little to much for me, but when it’s now 4-5 hundred much more affordable.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (338reddog, 35, 41rem, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 19 invisible), 1,548 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,592
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.