Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Never thought I’d own one but came across what I thought to be a deal. 26” matte black with turkey picture on receiver.

Only came with modified choke and wanting to buy a turkey choke. Anyone have experience with a tss load and particular choke combo in the setup?

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I got one question.

"WHY?"

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That’s the one question I have no answer for.
I have used 20 gauge for everything the last 5 or so years. I can’t understand it myself. Guess it’s an itch that I’ve never scratched.
It’s heavy and bulky, prolly kill ome turkey with it and never get it out again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used one exclusively for a whole lotta years. My best hope for you is that the stock fits you. If it does........great. If it doesn't, you just bought the hardest kicking gun you'll likely ever shoot. I semi-retired mine before TSS was even a thought. Only ever shot lead. Has a Comp-N-Choke XXX-Full tube in it and was an absolute MONSTER with Winchester Supreme HV 2 oz. #6 shot. Of course, then they stopped making them. But it was, as you can guess, pure death on turkeys.

As an aside.............. What it'll do with 2 1/4 oz. of #2 lead to 70+ yards should be outlawed.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've only owned one 10 gauge - a Remington SP-10, matte blued and walnut, with a 26" barrel. It was massive, and heavy, but was a joy to shoot. To this day, I've never had a turkey gun that patterned as well. Still kicking myself for letting it go.

A 10 gauge is a gun every hunter should own at some point in their life.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have owned 3 or 4 Remington 10ga but never carried one turkey hunting. For the record, I don't own one anymore....
I would rather shoot a 10 ga than any 12 ga 3.5" gun I have ever shot.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Never had a BPS 10, but have had others. In my opinion, there's no need for TSS shot from a 10. A want, absolutely and I get it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
And congrats on a very nice boom stick!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
That’s the one question I have no answer for.
I have used 20 gauge for everything the last 5 or so years. I can’t understand it myself. Guess it’s an itch that I’ve never scratched.
It’s heavy and bulky, prolly kill ome turkey with it and never get it out again.

LMBO!
At least you're honest about it.
Understand the "itch" thang! Once seriously considered a Ruger M77 "African" .458 Win Mag. Only useful in east Texas for clearing land and gathering acorns! LOL!
I did get to shoot it,l. What a blast! But it disappeared before I could make the purchase.

....and "YES!", I've made some purchases that were purely, "Hey! That's neat!"
Only to discover, "Nah. Not my thang!"

I wouldn't waste my money on 10 bore TSS ammo. I'd just play with some lead until you decide on whether it's a "keeper" or not.
I wouldn't mind taking on a big sounder of feral hogs with some #1 buckshot loads! 🤯

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have one with a 24” barrel. Put Williams open sights on it to keep from scrunching my cheek down tight on the comb and had it ProPorted to control jump. Now it doesn’t look like I’ve been in a fist fight after I shoot it, which isn’t often. I got a Browning Turkey Choke and can’t tell you what restriction it is. But it works. As far as shot I’d say get some 2 1/4 oz #4 copper plated and go. They don’t flop with 4s. #5s ain’t bad either. But I imagine #7 TSS would be very strong.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ve not had much time to research but to y’all’s point I did see a goose die at no less that 65 yards with #4 lead with a modified choke. I was impressed with the lead at the distance but after finding out it was a modified choke super impressed.

I still can’t make any sense of wanting to buy it but for the price I think I can unload it anytime I get ready.
Looked up serial number and it’s a 1992 production gun.

Don’t figured I’ll use it much as I’m used to a 1187 21” 20 gauge.
Also if anyone has a turkey choke laying around I’d be interested.
Thanks for the responses and if anyone has tried the tss I’d like any info I could get.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Look in the reloading section of the "fire" under the TSS heading. Guys there loading it for all kinds of stuff, not just turkey and in all the gauges. Lots of info there.

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
I’ve not had much time to research but to y’all’s point I did see a goose die at no less that 65 yards with #4 lead with a modified choke. I was impressed with the lead at the distance but after finding out it was a modified choke super impressed.

I still can’t make any sense of wanting to buy it but for the price I think I can unload it anytime I get ready.
Looked up serial number and it’s a 1992 production gun.

Don’t figured I’ll use it much as I’m used to a 1187 21” 20 gauge.
Also if anyone has a turkey choke laying around I’d be interested.
Thanks for the responses and if anyone has tried the tss I’d like any info I could get.

Unless you just absolutely pay a price well over the gun's value, any gun can be a good investment!
Heck, for an investment, I'd buy a Wby .460 Wby Mag! No way in hell I'd shoot it, but I'd buy and sell it! LOL!
Yeppers, I'm an opportunist! 😉!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 10ga BPS is a fine firearm for Turkey hunting. You do not need TSS for the 10ga. Like previously stated, if it fits properly you’ll love it, if not, you’ll sell it with a partial box of Turkey loads and partial box of goose loads.
I’m 5’10”, and I had to have the factory stock cut down to fit. My son used the gun to harvest his second Turkey when he was 12 years old. He doesn’t even remember any recoil when he shot the bird.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If it makes you happy and is affordable do it. I should have sold more mine but it’s still here. Only real downside to turkey hunting with it is the weight. Loaded with a sling it’s well over 10 lbs.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just gave mine to my pards oldest boy.

I was drinking a little too much and he said he was wanting a 10, so I obliged him.

I got it as my hs graduation gift almost 30 years ago, time to let a young buck pack it and get beat up shooting it.

Recoil is not as bad as most 3" 12 gauge pumps and damn sure nothing as close to the pump or inertia driven 3.5" guns .

Get you something in the .685-.695 range and some good #4 lead. I still prefer the Remington Premier loads in the 10, only ones still loading 2 1/4 Oz of shot.

My favorite were the old 2 1/4 oz Winchester #5 but those are long gone loads. It scary how those patterned from a .695 Hastings that I have.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Remington #4 will fold ‘em up.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anybody ever use a jebs 690?
I’ve had better luck in my 20s with Indian creek???
Thoughts?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Friend of mine's father owned an Ithaca Mag10 and hunted geese with it. We used to gaze at it sitting in the gun cabinet at his house, thinking we both wanted the same gun when we were grown and had jobs. I never pursued it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
To the 10 gauge users:

Are you body shooting turkeys or aiming at the head and neck?

Had a very good friend. We worked and worked and worked at head/neck shots. COULD NOT get "body shots" out of his head. 😖

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.