Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Of sorts anyway.
I wanted an 18” gun again and got to looking at Criterion’s CORE barrel. These are chrome lined barrels that are hand lapped and profiled differently than most. They start heavy and taper out to a .625” gas block journal. The claim was a more accurate chrome lined barrel of which I’m a fan. 18” and rifle gas, 223 Wylde chamber and a 1/8 twist. Sorry I didn’t measure gas port.
https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-core-series-rifle-gas/?v=7516fd43adaa
I ordered the barrel and Badger Ordinance gas block along with a rifle length gas tube. I also ordered a Colt upper, one of the newer CZ Colts that has no C just 13629 and a Brass Forge logo.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The barrel/upper fit was tight enough that I heated the upper to mate the barrel. It was square without needing to true it up.
I installed a Midwest Industries M-lok 15” rail on it which uses a non indexing barrel nut so I torqued the nut to 60’ lbs on the advice from Criterion. The rail is strong with anti rotation for either direction and pretty light. I added a Vortex Flash hider and a new CZ/Colt BCG.
Can’t distinguish the new from the older ones I have, quality from the new Colt seems to be good.
Continued…

ARIC

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I added a small BCM Gunfighter CH and a 10x super chicken in an ADM 20 MOA mount. No BUIS for now. Attached it to a Colt M4 lower I had with a Geissele G2S trigger, Magpul K2+ grip and an LMT SOPMOD stock with a standard power spring and an H2 buffer.
The gun weighs 7.020 lbs and with the scope it weighs 8.895 lbs. The balance is just on the inside of the magwell and the gun feels much lighter than it is.
So this morning the wind was calm and I had to go sight it in. Shooting 77 grain SMK’s with 24.5 grains of TAC it averaged 2720 fps in the chronograph with 10 shots.
I bore sighted then got one shot on paper, measured with the reticle, made adjustments and got the shot on the left. Made more adjustments and went too far right confirmed with the second shot then adjusted and fired the five shot group circled.
Accuracy was .732” for the first 5 shot group and .986 for the second. A buddy shot the second group.
I’m very pleased with this barrel and all the components I used. Ejection is at 5:00 and the bolt locks back on empty, I have an H buffer coming in that I’ll see how much difference it makes. The gun is very mild mannered to shoot and even though I envisioned this as a long range steel gun, I’m sure I’ll be killing coyotes with it as well. I might swap the scope out later for a 3-9 Accupoint to lighten it up even more but it is very capable as it is now.

Last edited by TWR; 04/24/22.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nice rig.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice; I'd say that's a keeper.

MM

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Very nice.
I appreciate the report.

How the balance? How's it feel in your hands?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice! Very nice!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice rig, TWR.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks guys.
The balance point is just inside the magwell with the SOPMOD stock on there. It feels lighter than my 16” pencil barrels but they all have lights on them. The dang thing just feels alive!

I will will report back once I get some rounds down it. Yesterday we had a small window before a cold front hit and the wind was just starting to pick up when I sat down on the bench. We shot 15 rounds before the wind and rain moved us down to the pistol range. I want to try some different bullets knowing the 77 SMK’s aren’t the most accurate bullets at 100 yards.

I mentioned how tight the receiver was, the gas block was also a good tight fit. The barrel dated 2/22, just looks like it’s been well thought out on every aspect of it. I’m sure I’ll wind up buying another one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like that.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks good TWR. Great list of components too. Glad to see someone using and reporting back on CZ/Colt stuff.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Got a buddy that has been using the new Colt stuff and liking it just as well or better than the old. He’s used a couple of the uppers and both of his were thermal fit too. I had ordered a Toolcraft BCG but he sent me a link for a sale on the Colt and since he’s bought a few already to replace his older semi carriers, I thought why not?

Glad I did but now I’ve got an extra BCG so you know it’ll turn into another gun if I don’t watch it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That’s an excellent review.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
I want to try some different bullets knowing the 77 SMK’s aren’t the most accurate bullets at 100 yards.

Huh??? You forgot the sarcasm emoji

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
i've not found them to be better then 52, 53 and 55gr offerings for 10 shots.

plenty good mind you.. but not smallest agg.

ymmv

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
i've not found them to be better then 52, 53 and 55gr offerings for 10 shots.

plenty good mind you.. but not smallest agg.

ymmv

I will take the 77 smk over the 52,53,55 for the 600yd line.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
It takes a little distance for the 77’s to come into their own.

Shooting at 100 yards, I’ve found more than a few bullets that out shot the 77’s. I like them for their killing ability and I built this upper to play with on our steel range, it’ll see plenty of 77’s but I’m sure my 55 grain NBT’s will produce a tighter group for show and tell.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think the difference in accuracy between a, say, 60 or 69 Sierra over a 77 is useful. Even they are 1/4 minute better, what are you gonna do at <=200 that couldn't be done with the 77? Further out, the 77 beats them in the wind.

I use light bullets up close not so much because they are more accurate, but because they cut down on recoil.

Those Criterion's are very nice barrels. I sighted one in with 52s and got about a 1/4" group for 3 @ 100.

Politics is War by Other Means
T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ya any additional accuracy gains are strictly for “bragging rights”. 100 yard groups of less than 1.5” will work for anything I need to do.

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well I swapped to a 1-4 Trijicon on this gun for hunting, added BUIS’s and went to sight both in today.
Got it about an inch high at 100 then moved to 200 yards and shot a sub MOA 5 shot group with 77 SMK’s.
Then went and sighted the irons at 50 meters, grabbed another red dotted AR and confirmed zero, then i was done.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
Well I swapped to a 1-4 Trijicon on this gun for hunting, added BUIS’s and went to sight both in today.
Got it about an inch high at 100 then moved to 200 yards and shot a sub MOA 5 shot group with 77 SMK’s.
Then went and sighted the irons at 50 meters, grabbed another red dotted AR and confirmed zero, then i was done.

What kind of mount are you using for your scope?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, batch, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.