Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I'm looking to scope several rifles this spring... from a 5.56 DMR, to a 6.5CM, to a 300WM. I was considering the following two scopes.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/athlo...0e196?variation=2891674&query=athlon

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...90e196?variation=3114718&query=S-TAC

These two scopes seem to be aimed at a similar user, at a similar price point. For those of you that have handled or own both... Which did you like better and why?

Thanks in advance,

<Snort>

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Helos=China

S-TAC=Not China

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Helos=China

S-TAC=Not China

This /\

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 2-12x has a dozen more Mil's on the erector and locking turrets. Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
At $500ish plus why not just get a SWFA SS 3-15x42? Its only $600 on sale and a better made scope than either you listed. I have no experience with the Athlon but the S-TAC is fairly nice. I would suggest the 4-20 though over the 3-16. Weight is very similar but optically speaking i like the 4-20 better. The eye box is also a little less fussy. Both are ok for the majority of the magnification range until you get near the max. Not a huge deal for paper punching but for hunting im not 100% thrilled with either. If i was going Athlon it would be a Midas TAC 4-16x44 but the cost is just too much imo.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tactical-rifle-scope-3.html

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Illumination,locking turrets and zero-stop. Hint...............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Overkill45
get a SWFA SS 3-15x42? Its only $600 on sale and a better made scope than either you listed.

Can you walk us through the build process of the SWFA and the S-TAC and describe the differences that make the SWFA "better made?"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Paula,

You AMAZINGLY Stupid Brokedick Fhuqk,fortunately for you imagination and Pretend are FREE,so you can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Start a Thread if/when you fire your first Live round of the year. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I went through the same thought process.

Here are some pictures that someone posted with the the Sightron.

Sightron Pictures

The Sightron looks like it is on the thin side from these pictures. ETA: (It is a .05 Mil reticle from the literature)

Stick has some great pictures of the reticle of the Helos in this thread:

Sticks pics

That plus his descriptions of his experiences with the Helos talked me into getting them.

I LOVED everything about it but the weight. The reticle is great and very easy to see against all backgrounds. It seemed to track well doing an at home box test. The clarity is great on them. Good eyebox. Nice parallax adjustment range. I really like them, it was just too heavy for how I prefer to use my rifles. I almost never shoot off a bipod or bags and the weight made my rifle feel very top heavy and I never felt like I "gelled" with it I felt like I was fighting with it rather than being comfortable behind it. I prefer a 20 oz or less scope. I am a "scope wimp" and not afraid to admit it.:)

While I don't have any experience with the SWFA, it has a good reputation and it does have a slightly thicker reticle (.06 Mil vs .05 Mil on the Sightron). The Helo reticle is quite a bit thicker at .08 Mil, but I didn't find it to be detrimental. The SWFA 3-15 is also on the heavy side (or I would have gotten it.)

Personally, if you don't mind a 25 oz scope, I would definitely get the Helos. If you don't like it, they sell pretty quickly.

I got mine from Doug at Cameraland and I highly recommend him.

Last edited by CrowHunterTN; 04/24/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
and just like that Bigley Sally tosses insults at Paul..........I'll be next as I live in Salleys head, hint, lol, laughin', #gottasnortsawdustBStimberjackoff, hint

apologies for the Touretts outburst........now returning to the inquiry by ElkSnort in the OP

GOA
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The locking turret thing is a real advantage. I've got an STAC 3-16 and optically it's great and it tracks perfectly and the illumination is great but the windage turret is pretty easy to bump if you're using it in the field. I haven't run out of erector but it's pretty rare for me to shoot past 1,200 yards and with 20moa bases, most 30mm scopes work fine for me.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
and just like that Bigley Sally tosses insults at Paul..........I'll be next as I live in Salleys head, hint, lol, laughin', #gottasnortsawdustBStimberjackoff, hint

I doubt he really rates you at all, let alone be living in his head 😂

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never personally seen or shot a BTR Gen2 '12x on anything "smaller" than a Howie Carbon Queen 22 PPC AFI(19"). Hint..................

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I own both scopes mentioned by the OP. The sightron does have a different reticle than the one mentioned if it matters.

Everything about the athlon feels like a step up I'm quality. The feel of the adjustments, the power ring and parallax adjust all feel a lot better. I believe the glass is a step up as well. The illumination doesn't suck either.

If you can stomach owning a Chinese made optic, it's an easy choice

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Can't say I'm a huge fan of Chinese goods. That said, they make everything! I am really being swayed toward the Athlon, especially for the DMR AR.

I'm ALSO now considering the SWFA SS 3-15× for my Magnum Research Mountain Eagle 300 Win. Is there anything to be concerned about regarding the SS 3-15? With the exception of the hd glass, is it built like the SS 3-9×?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Not to derail, but what's the word on the Arkens? Thinking about one on an upcoming .22 build.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not a 3-9x fan,as it NEEDS parallax adjustment. I prefer the 3-15x MQ FFP to same,but the 6x MQ over both...if only because I've multiples of each. Hint.

Vudoo Hummer. Hint.

Vudoo 22LR. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint............

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'm not a 3-9x fan,as it NEEDS parallax adjustment. I prefer the 3-15x MQ FFP to same,but the 6x MQ over both...if only because I've multiples of each. Hint.

Vudoo Hummer. Hint.

Vudoo 22LR. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint............

Stick, what are the black stocks on the stainless rifles please? I think I like the ergos, especially the shape/ contour of the pistol grip for a straight-up hunting rifle. Reminds me of a Bansner.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OEM Barrett Fieldcrafts,with LOP reductions from issued 14.25" to 13.5"...ala THE stock Doc(Joe Ducos). Hint.

Subtle,but HUGE Utilitarian increase in ergo's. Radiused toe(s) too. Hint.

Unless you mean Carbon Howie Mini's. The Kali Kid has NO equal. Hint.

Do it(all).

Hint.................(grin)

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have 2 stacs. They track and repeat...but thin reticles with no illumination to help, and no zero stop...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 91 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.