Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
(duplicate posting from Savage Collector Forum)

Not mine, we'll just leave the person involved as nameless.... probably best, since I don't really know their name. grin

Don't expect to see this happen on a 22LR/410 combo gun. Ouch! No injuries, fortunately..

Thoughts on cause?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bad reload? Hot .45-70 chambered in .410 chamber? Hard for me to imagine that this originated in the .22 chamber....unless somebody packed the barrel with dynamite.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Most of the 22 brass is still in the chamber, the 410 barrel doesn't really have any damage. Seems to be all 22LR related.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Wasn't there a recall on 22lr ammo? Winchester perhaps. It was some years ago, but there was a chance some were double charged in a certain lots. Not everyone follows that stuff, so it's possible.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Never heard of that. My thoughts were all running towards barrel blockage, maybe a squib?

IC B2

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
22 mag in a 22 lr chamber?

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I'd pull the brass and see if it's 22lr.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
steel cleaning rod in and receiver slammed shut?

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like the pressure took the easy way out via the extractor cut. Ruptured case, bore obstruction? It had to go someplace, even only a .22.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Unless the factory cut an over-size .22 LR chamber, a .22 MAG cartridge won't chamber in a SAAMI specs .22 LR chamber as the .22 MAG has a slighly larger diameter. Same/same for .22 WRF not being able to be inserted into a properly cut .22 LR chamber.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mesa
Bad reload? [ ] Hard for me to imagine that this originated in the .22 chamber....unless somebody packed the barrel with dynamite.

Here’s another guess, maybe as good as any:
The fella was loading up some home-brew rimfire ammo, using primed 22LR cases he purchased from FedArm. He ran outa Bullseye and couldn’t find more. So, instead, he used just a pinch of C-4 from his “Nam souvenir” Claymore.

Every day’s an adventure.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
22lr can have near twice the PSI of 410s.................

Is there another rifle that has that LITTLE metal around a 22lr chamber????

Last edited by Muffin; 04/25/22.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Muffin
22lr can have near twice the PSI of 410s.................

Is there another rifle that has that LITTLE metal around a 22lr chamber????

While certainly not rifles, consider the thickness of the .22LR chamber walls of the steel cylinder on a tiny NAA mini revolver and the .22LR chamber walls of the aluminum cylinder on a Smith & Wesson 43C revolver.

The .22LR cartridge would necessarily have a far smaller cartridge case interior surface area against which pressure can act, compared to a .410 shell. Looking at the PSI numbers alone does not take this difference into account.

The thickness of .22LR rifle barrels is dictated by considerations other than just chamber pressure containment.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by Mesa
Bad reload? [ ] Hard for me to imagine that this originated in the .22 chamber....unless somebody packed the barrel with dynamite.

Here’s another guess, maybe as good as any:
The fella was loading up some home-brew rimfire ammo, using primed 22LR cases he purchased from FedArm. He ran outa Bullseye and couldn’t find more. So, instead, he used just a pinch of C-4 from his “Nam souvenir” Claymore.

He was using up some 22LR ammunition made in the 80's, apparently. Nothing unusual in that, really. I'm sure I've picked up and shot 22LR that old and older at gun shows. Not sure if that would increase the chance of a squib round on a previous shot.. ??

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The photos are not ideal for the purpose of diagnosis, but the fracture surface looks like that of a brittle overload failure. That is typified by a fracture surface which looks crystalline, and little evidence of plastic deformation in the fracture. That would lead me to suspect there might be an issue with the barrel, such as incorrect heat treatment, as a potential factor here.

A brittle barrel can survive quite well as long as loads are within its limits, but does not cope well with overload. One should expect that a barrel will bulge rather than crack on an overload - that is a lot safer, as the work done in bulging dissipates but contains the overload, where a brittle failure simply lets go with little work of fracture. Brittleness also does not cope well with stress concentrations such as sharp corners. It could have been as little as a ruptured rim, coupled with brittleness and the stress raiser at the apparent point of crack initiation, and there's your rifle buggered .

If it was me I'd be having a good hard look at hardness and microstructure of the breech end of the barrel. There again, given that it is an older rifle, out of production, and no-one was hurt, it is probably not going to be worth spending the money on any deeper analysis.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dan_oz
The photos are not ideal for the purpose of diagnosis, but the fracture surface looks like that of a brittle overload failure. That is typified by a fracture surface which looks crystalline, and little evidence of plastic deformation in the fracture. That would lead me to suspect there might be an issue with the barrel, such as incorrect heat treatment, as a potential factor here.

A brittle barrel can survive quite well as long as loads are within its limits, but does not cope well with overload. One should expect that a barrel will bulge rather than crack on an overload - that is a lot safer, as the work done in bulging dissipates but contains the overload, where a brittle failure simply lets go with little work of fracture. Brittleness also does not cope well with stress concentrations such as sharp corners. It could have been as little as a ruptured rim, coupled with brittleness and the stress raiser at the apparent point of crack initiation, and there's your rifle buggered .

If it was me I'd be having a good hard look at hardness and microstructure of the breech end of the barrel. There again, given that it is an older rifle, out of production, and no-one was hurt, it is probably not going to be worth spending the money on any deeper analysis.

Now, we’re getting down to business.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
in my misspent youth we made zip guns from radio antennae. it took multiple firings to bulge them, even unsupported on the breech end.
there is more to this failure than is being explained.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Unless the factory cut an over-size .22 LR chamber, a .22 MAG cartridge won't chamber in a SAAMI specs .22 LR chamber as the .22 MAG has a slighly larger diameter. Same/same for .22 WRF not being able to be inserted into a properly cut .22 LR chamber.

one will chamber in the old 24 Savage I have, that I inherited from my grand father's passing in 1968...22 LR on top and 410 on the bottom...

my granddad's favorite two "meals" was squirrel or rabbit... and being a typical WV hillbilly... cheap SOB..

is a very early Model 24....the 22 barrel is long since shot out when I got it...shot out enough, a 22 Mag round will drop right in there...

I used the 410 barrel and took a truck load of squirrels with it when I lived in Minnesota...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
G
First off hello to the group.

I had a similar problem with a 24S-E, almost. Let my son shoot a hand full of 22’s at a 55 gal burn barrel. Put the shells on the ground and while picking up one it must of had a pebble on the rim. When he slammed it shut the round went off. I ran over to look at it and it looked like the barrel had I crack in it. Put it in a case and was in storage for about 10 years. Brought it out one day and took a good look at it and what I saw as a crack in the barrel was actually the rim of the 22 shell peeled back. Great little combo gun in 22-20 ga.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by luvrifles
Wasn't there a recall on 22lr ammo? Winchester perhaps. It was some years ago, but there was a chance some were double charged in a certain lots. Not everyone follows that stuff, so it's possible.
Yes, there was !! I had some of that ammo. I did not test for affect !!!!!

"not too grumpy"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.