Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This is no help but ai wanted to add

When me and bud used to go catfishing all night and camping for one night/day out.

We would take a 5 gallon Igloo water cooler (like the bleck boys have to have at football practice)

Fill it full of the hottest damn tap water. Use it for hot hand washing. Nice to have clean hands when messing with slimey bottom feeders or handling stinky shad guts, worm shît, or liver blood.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
How long are you folks going boondocking and how much water a day do you use?

Showers? Hair washing? Shaving?

Couple of 5 gallon jugs will get me through more than a week, but maybe 20-30 miles from the nearest paved road really isn't boondocking?:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Backroads

We boondock in the desert every spring and fall, always hit the camp limit before filling the 40gal black tank.

That's most often the case with me as well, I'll boondock 3 or 4 months of the year but I move around.

Fresh water capacity vs holding tanks vs fresh produce and meats I keep in the RV and camping day limits all kinda work in harmony.

But even at that, there are plenty of areas where RV specific dump stations are rare. That's why I bought the pump.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We were having problems with the capacity of our gray water tank. I did some measuring and found a 14gal holding tank that I could fit underneath to let the water back up into it. Of course I needed an air vent to prevent an air lock. That extra 14 gal has worked great. We haven't filled it yet.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve
We've used a similar setup when floating on the Grand Canyon. Partner Water Filter.

https://cascaderivergear.com/shop/aqua-partner-solar-filter-in-rocket-box/

It has two stages. One a course filter and the second for bacteria.

Been thinking of building my own as the Partner is expensive. Would like to add in a UV light for or finer filter for virus. But adding a cap full of bleach to every 5-6 gallons works. Carbon would also be nice.
$2200 for that? I agree, make your own. The total of the parts will be a fraction of that price. They're charging a lot for the convenience.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Couple of 5 gallon jugs will get me through more than a week, but maybe 20-30 miles from the nearest paved road really isn't boondocking?:

I can do a month pretty easy without moving the motorhome if I can make fresh food runs on my motorcycle.

I gotta conserve water though. I only hold 45 gallons of fresh.
A few cases of bottled water for cooking and drinking helps.

But it's those showers and dishwashing that burn through the volume.

I've owned one of these for years and use it often.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

ZODI Instant Hotwater Heater

A bucket of water from a nearby lake or river works for a shower and even dishwashing.
That both saves my freshwater supply and keeps from filling my holding tank.

I'd rather conserve than haul more.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like that shower set up. I may have to look into one if I ever get back to longer trips.

The camp I had set up was about 50 miles from where my bro lives and after a week or so I could go in and shower if it wasn't warm enough for a sponge bath.

I eat simply so washing dishes is like we did in the Scouts on desert trips. Very little water used.

Wife is no longer into camping rough, and we don't have a trailer and vehicle big enough to pull it, or a motorhome so I don't worry about little things like showering every day when hunting.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

We have been camping for 14 days, twice a year, in the desert the last 3 years. We do a couple 7-10 day trips and some weekends throughout the year as well.

The trailer has two 44 gal freshwater tanks, a 6 gal water heater, and we bring 24 gallons of drinking water in 4 gal jugs. With 2 teenage daughters and the ol 'lady, that is enough for the 14 day camp limit on the public land we like to camp on. We have refilled a couple jugs of drinking water when needed, but we leave camp every couple days to float or bike anyway.

Quick, hot outdoor showers every couple days, an inside one every now and then if the weather is rough. Have not run out of tank space or fresh water yet, but we do get reallly close, lol.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Two teenage girls and a wife kind of explains your situation. grin

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two teenage girls and a wife kind of explains your situation. grin

I resemble that remark +1.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bingo

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JeffA
Lots of ways to produce additional clean fresh water when boondocking but what do you do when you exceed your waste water holding capacity? Specifically your black water tanks?

Am I the only guy left that'll still sheit in the woods?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mirage243
Lots of ways to produce additional clean fresh water when boondocking but what do you do when you exceed your waste water holding capacity? Specifically your black water tanks?

See picture above of minimalist camp.

Do you see a porta-potty even?

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Bingo

Sometimes , especially if I'm moving around some while trying to locate game, I just sleep in the front seat.

In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

I usually have one of these in the truck or Razor. It's more sturdy than most of the portable seats.

[Linked Image from img.joomcdn.net]

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by BluMtn
My TT has a fresh water capacity of 160 gallons so I have not had an issue of running out of water. Our travel partner on their TT had a capacity of 50 gallons fresh plus he had a 55 drum in the back of his pickup and a pump system to fill his fresh water if he ran out.

What brand/model TT has a fresh water capacity of 160 gallons?
Thats over 1,300 pounds

It is a Forest River Stealth 2916G. When my unit was ordered it was upgraded to 160 gal. fresh, solar, and a few other upgrades.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Pack out of all waste required on most arid BLM lands.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
here in Florida, and up in Georgia, I only carry a few gallons of water. I use a hand pump Katadyn filter if I need more. There is no shortage of water here. Creeks and lakes, rivers and springs everywhere. Only car camping with a tent. Never had a desire for a camper.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Roughly like below. We hold 85 gallons of drinking quality water and 25 gallons of grey which we fill before setting out. My wife and I have spent 3 weeks at the foot of a mountain and not had to refill. With 2 boys added we use more but nothing extravagant. As you imply, managing water is a good skill to develop over just hauling more in.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Stickfight

Roughly like below. We hold 85 gallons of drinking quality water and 25 gallons of grey which we fill before setting out. My wife and I have spent 3 weeks at the foot of a mountain and not had to refill. With 2 boys added we use more but nothing extravagant. As you imply, managing water is a good skill to develop over just hauling more in.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Wow, that looks like a cool rig, got any more pics?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 3,139 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.