Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Anyone used this powder on your magnum rifles. It looks like a good alternate to H1000, Retumbo or RE 26.

The data I've seen (Nosler,and Hornady) for LRT puts it more in the US869 and H870 range.

It generally takes 10% more LRT than H1000 or Retumbo to match speed/pressure.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just a Hunter,

Sent the article on the .257 Weatherby to HANDLOADER a week ago. I was disappointed in the velocity with LRT in the .257 Weatherby. Tried several bullets and muzzle velocities were considerably lower than in Ramshot's and Hodgdon's data (Hodgdon has owned Ramshot for a while now). Worked up to the maximum charges listed.

While accuracy was fine, would still pick Ramshot Magnum or H1000 over LRT in that particular cartridge.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just a Hunter,

Sent the article on the .257 Weatherby to HANDLOADER a week ago. I was disappointed in the velocity with LRT in the .257 Weatherby. Tried several bullets and muzzle velocities were considerably lower than in Ramshot's and Hodgdon's data (Hodgdon has owned Ramshot for a while now). Worked up to the maximum charges listed.

While accuracy was fine, would still pick Ramshot Magnum or H1000 over LRT in that particular cartridge.

Where does it fall on the burn rate chart?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Next to Retumbo and RL-25 on Ramshot's chart, but using the maximum listed charges with several bullet didn't come close to the velocities in their data, even considering the difference between Ramshot's 26-inch test barrel and the 24-inch barrel on my NULA. The published loads for Ramshot Magnum and H1000 come pretty close in my rifle's barrel.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for the info. With my .257 WBY, a Mark V with 26" barrel, I got 3251 fps ave. with 120g NPT and 75g of LRT and a Fed 215 primer. I notice the Hodgden site says 76.8g and 3218 from t a 26" barrel. So, mine at least showed better, but Chronos and barrels are different.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Next to Retumbo and RL-25 on Ramshot's chart.

I believe Ramshot has cranial-rectal insertion.

Per Ramshot's "publicity" expert: "[LRT is] one of the slowest spherical powders ever developed".

Nosler's load data supports my premise that LRT is similar to US869 and is not close to Retumbo or RL-25 or H-1000

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Thanks for the info. With my .257 WBY, a Mark V with 26" barrel, I got 3251 fps ave. with 120g NPT and 75g of LRT and a Fed 215 primer. I notice the Hodgden site says 76.8g and 3218 from t a 26" barrel. So, mine at least showed better, but Chronos and barrels are different.

Well, yeah.

My results were chronographed with a Magnetospeed, which like all my several chronographs was checked against an Oehler 35P. It recorded very similar velocities--given the difference between the MS being right in front of the muzzle and the 35P being set up with the first screen 15 feet from the muzzle.

I have also encountered very different velocities with different lots of NEW powders many times over the years. A good example would be IMR4451. Got a small test sample (2 pounds if I recall correctly) from Hodgdon when it appeared, and was impressed enough to buy an 8-pounder when they became available. There was close to 100 fps difference in the two powders when using the same loads in the same rifles.

This isn't uncommon with NEW powders, because different lots often vary considerably. This is "smoothed out" over time by mixing various manufacturing lots to come up with a more consistent product. Which is why I eventually blended my first two pounds of 4451 with the 8-pounder--and the resulting velocities were very similar to what are now reported on Hodgdon's site.

This may be the "problem" with my batch of LRT. I was sent a couple pounds as soon as it appeared, which may be different in burn-rate than later "blended" batches.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What I have noticed with mine is all loads using IMR 7878SSC I have to stay 2 grains under book max or it will lock up my bolt.
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Well, yeah.

My results were chronographed with a Magnetospeed, which like all my several chronographs was checked against an Oehler 35P. It recorded very similar velocities--given the difference between the MS being right in front of the muzzle and the 35P being set up with the first screen 15 feet from the muzzle.

I have also encountered very different velocities with different lots of NEW powders many times over the years. A good example would be IMR4451. Got a small test sample (2 pounds if I recall correctly) from Hodgdon when it appeared, and was impressed enough to buy an 8-pounder when they became available. There was close to 100 fps difference in the two powders when using the same loads in the same rifles.

This isn't uncommon with NEW powders, because different lots often vary considerably. This is "smoothed out" over time by mixing various manufacturing lots to come up with a more consistent product. Which is why I eventually blended my first two pounds of 4451 with the 8-pounder--and the resulting velocities were very similar to what are now reported on Hodgdon's site.

This may be the "problem" with my batch of LRT. I was sent a couple pounds as soon as it appeared, which may be different in burn-rate than later "blended" batches.

What I have noticed with mine is all loads using IMR 7878SSC I have to stay 2 grains under book max or it will lock up my bolt. I am also getting the ave velocity of max with these lower grain loads. I had the same thing happen with RL 22 and H4831 ,but the other way. Like you I started mixing the same powders into various 8 or 1 pound jugs. I haven't done so with the 3 listed though.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In my experience with this powder in 28 Nosler, it is indeed very close to RL33, maybe slightly slower. 89.5 Grains in my gun with a 180 Berger (3.60") gave 3255 fps, and excellent accuracy. I ended up going back to Retumbo and taking the 100 fps loss to gain the temp stability.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 16Racing, 67 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.