Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Needing to buy a scope for a Christensen arms 22 ranger? I can't see myself shooting much past a 100yds.

Life is good live it while you can.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Since you didn't specify a price range I would suggest the most inexpensive but servicable scope IMO - Burris Droptine rimfire BDC 3-9x40. They are not great but it would be servicable scope for a decent price of around $120.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Any rimfire scope or a scope with adjustable objective, Those AO Mueller scopes are pretty popular on rimfires and in your price range.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Weaver CV/V16 or CV/V24?

I have CV/C16s on my 17HM2 fox squirrel rifles, but I'm not a turret twister.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a like new w/box etc. Athon Neos 4-12x40 w/ 22 bdc reticle that I'm looking to sell. $120 Shipped. Pretty neat scope, has side focus and drops on bdc are set for 75, 100, 125 and 150 yards when zeroed at 50. Matched up very close when I shot out to 125 yards. PM me if interested.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by drover
Since you didn't specify a price range I would suggest the most inexpensive but servicable scope IMO - Burris Droptine rimfire BDC 3-9x40. They are not great but it would be servicable scope for a decent price of around $120.

drover

The crosshairs are a bit coarse, but the optics are okay for 100 yard stuff. I have four of the Droptine scopes, they aren't my favorite, but my favorites took a 50% price hike due to covid, and I refuse to buy any more of them. Droptines are a solid second choice, though.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My CZ 452 FS has a weaver 2.5-7 on it. It is a decent scope for the money. 7x is plenty for 100 yards IMHO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With all due respect your question is too vague for anyone to provide a usable answer.

Define "decent priced". You have a rifle that retails for over $800, decent for that might be a lot different than decent for a $250 Savage or entry level 10/22. What kind of precision are you looking for, how big are your intended targets? Do you just need to be able to see small game like squirrels and rabbits or do you want to hit an aspirin tablet at 100 yards?

Do you have any size or weight requirements? Does it have to be a variable or will a fixed power be okay?

An SWFA SS 10x mil-quad at $299.95 (they were on sale for under $200 just last week) is an excellent scope. For everything you get that is one of the most "decently priced" scopes you can find these days but - they are definitely big and heavy and I would guess provide more features than you need.

If you can zero in on what you really want to do with it then the solutions will almost present themselves.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
No love for a 4x12 Vortex Crossfire?

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
With all due respect your question is too vague for anyone to provide a usable answer.

Define "decent priced". You have a rifle that retails for over $800, decent for that might be a lot different than decent for a $250 Savage or entry level 10/22. What kind of precision are you looking for, how big are your intended targets? Do you just need to be able to see small game like squirrels and rabbits or do you want to hit an aspirin tablet at 100 yards?

Do you have any size or weight requirements? Does it have to be a variable or will a fixed power be okay?

An SWFA SS 10x mil-quad at $299.95 (they were on sale for under $200 just last week) is an excellent scope. For everything you get that is one of the most "decently priced" scopes you can find these days but - they are definitely big and heavy and I would guess provide more features than you need.

If you can zero in on what you really want to do with it then the solutions will almost present themselves.

None of my Ruger 22's have the accuracy that I require.
The rifle is going to be used as a beater that will get left outside on a atv fulltime. Most of the time my wife will be using the atv checking cows. As far as accuracy goes I'd like to be able to shoot a penny at a 100yds. A variable scope is what I'm looking for, we might be shooting a snake at 10' or launching a 200yd shot at a varmint hoping for a hit. I'm not against spending money and will probably end up just buying a Leupold VX 3hd.

Last edited by TrueGrit; 04/27/22.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
No love for a 4x12 Vortex Crossfire?

there have been reports of them breaking on rimfires, I'd stay away from that cheaper line of vortex

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

The rifle is going to be used as a beater that will get left outside on a atv fulltime. Most of the time my wife will be using the atv checking cows. As far as accuracy goes I'd like to be able to shoot a penny at a 100yds. A variable scope is what I'm looking for, we might be shooting a snake at 10' or launching a 200yd shot at a varmint hoping for a hit. I'm not against spending money and will probably end up just buying a Leupold VX 3hd.
For varmints at 200 yards you'd have been a lot better off with something other than a .22 LR to begin with. Pennies at 100 with consistency is also a tall order for a .22.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
$800 gun and talking $500 Leupold for a “beater” rifle, and then you ask about “decent” price?? Are you trolling??

No personal insults to you, but what are you looking for? If you’re looking at spending that kind of money, why not just say “Anything else I should be looking at in sub-$500 range?”?

Am I so “out of touch”, that $500 is a “decent price” for a rimfire scope (that isn’t going on a $2000 Cooper)??

A $150 Marlin 60 topped with a Bushnell Banner or old Sportview, is a “beater” (AND more accurate than a standard 10/22).

I dunno. Maybe I’m just getting disgusted with the financial pizzing matches, the “you need a $700 chainsaw” threads, and the “my Marlin 883 is worth $800” classified listings,.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can get a Burris FF E1 4.5-14 for under $200. Side focus. Mine’s idle now, but worked fine on a couple of .22s and a Hornet. Probably going back on my 10/22 CSC at some point. Not too heavy at 15.3oz.

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have two of these. One on a Sako P72 I was out shooting today and the other on a Bergara B14R and I am pleased so far.

https://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-di...e-with-v-plex-reticle-moa-dbk-10017.aspx

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EdM
I have two of these. One on a Sako P72 I was out shooting today and the other on a Bergara B14R and I am pleased so far.

https://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-di...e-with-v-plex-reticle-moa-dbk-10017.aspx

Thanks, EdM just what I was looking for.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look at gun stores for Leupold take off scores. 2-8 scopes are great.

[Linked Image from ]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Which VX3hd were you considering? Most focusing models adjust only down to 75 yds. The fixed focus VX3s are parallax set to 150 yds.

The 6.5-20 EFR is a superb optic. I have one on an Anschutz 1712. That particular .22, and my 52c Bull gun, will put 5 CCI SV in 1" at 100 yds. Sometimes 10 rds on calm days. A penny is 0.75" in diam, so reliable hits means group averages well below 0.86" or so. Not many .22rf sporters will do that, even with Eley or RWS.

Christensen guarantees MOA at 50 yds. That is not the same as a MOA guarantee at 100yds. IME doubling distance from 50 to 100 roughly triples average group size. Some of considerably more experience say it quadruples group size. I shoot paper at distance some, and at 200 yds am happy with 4-5" SV groups with sporters that average 1.5" at 100 yds.

I shoot dairy farm pigeons, crows, etc in volume out to 110 yds with .22s. Like you am not afraid to take any shot at a predator (we have chickens). Didn't start with this viewpoint but now value bankable turret adjustments and dialing to make hits. A 50 yd zero requires a 6" or so correction at 100 yds with subsonic HPs. I can use a ranging reticle, but prefer to dial if there's time. Guessing with duplex reticles is just poke and pray for me.

Many scopes will not adjust consistently, linearly, and in accordance with stated increments (mils or 1/4 MOAs). Have several VX3s but Leupolds are not among the ones I'd consider if dialing. I do not use the turrets on that 6.5-20EFR. There's a reason for that.

Which brings me to my current favorite optics for about all .22rfs: the already mentioned SWFA 10x. It focus adjusts down to 10 yds (spec), actually less. Turrets are bankable. And it works for fast and close shots keeping both eyes open. If I had to mostly shoot things on the move I'd use the 6x version.

Lack personal experience with the Vortex D-backs, but others cite a lack of durability. You did mention you were going to keep it on an ATV. The SWFA fixed models are pretty vibration resistant. My personal experience sez Leupolds are not.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I just pulled a Mueller 4.5-14 AO 30mm off of my faithful Savage bull barrel. It was replaced with an SWFA and a 20 moa base for fun.
The Mueller worked fine but the SWFA was on sale so why not?

AO really helps!

Mildots help if you aren't going to dial.

Dialing with a dope chart taped to the stock is fun.

Variable scope, with mildots, that dial properly, ya that's a nice place to be but I'm cheap and a fixed 10x is what bought.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 10x MQ,CRUSHES every other piece of fhuqking schit cited in this Thread. 10yd parallax,20 ounces,2 mil's of erector per ounce,sensational etched reticle,unwavering guts and an uncanny ability to hold zero. If only for fhuqking starters. Hint.

I'd want as much inclination as I could get and ideally 75 MOA,if only because everything below zero is 100% fhuqking USELESS. Hint..........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.