Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17200526 04/27/22
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Been doing a little research.

Narrowed it down to Trijicon RMR or SRO, or a Holosun.
(what model Holosun???)

I like the idea of made in the USA but have heard the RMR have a few issues here and there. Holosun gets good reviews.

I am open to anything in the $500 range or lower.

Pistol is a HK VP9(optics ready), use will be light. Maybe try to light up a few gophers, no CC. Buy something good, once, type of deal...

Thanks for any thoughts.

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
How much is the little Aimpoint cube ( contained ) sight?

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Ive tried all the ones you mentioned, as well as a few others Sam. I preferred the SRO, gives the largest field of view, big spacious window etc. Here's the rub when going with a window type red dot sight, make sure you look thru a few before deciding. Im sure it's my astigmatism, but every one Ive tried the dot appears as a star burst rather than a sharp circular dot. Ive gone back to my old tube type red dot and all is clear and sharp distinct dot. I sure wanted to move into the future with the lighter window type sights and the SRO was the last one I tried, but unfortunately I moved it down the road. Good luck!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not aware of any issues with the RMR, at least in comparison with a holosun. Have several RMRs and they have provided flawless service. Definitely agree they are a buy once, cry once type item. The sro is not typically considered as duty rugged as the RMR but for your intended use the bigger window may be a more valuable feature.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Great information gentlemen, thank you.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Been doing a little research.

Narrowed it down to Trijicon RMR or SRO, or a Holosun.
(what model Holosun???)

I like the idea of made in the USA but have heard the RMR have a few issues here and there. Holosun gets good reviews.

I am open to anything in the $500 range or lower.

Pistol is a HK VP9(optics ready), use will be light. Maybe try to light up a few gophers, no CC. Buy something good, once, type of deal...

Thanks for any thoughts.

For the P365 the Holosun 507K is the one. That is what I have on my P365XL. I've had it over a year and carry it daily without a hiccup

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Holosun 507C for full size (duty size) pistols. 507K for micros.

Originally Posted by CashisKing
Hey Rod... welcome to the fire.
April 2022.
You speak with great confidence and authority.
Thanks for your honesty...
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have put a fair number of rounds through a G17 with an RMR on it and it has held up extremely well.

Very rugged sight.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I do not own a Holosun. By all accounts it is a decent optic for the price and there are a couple of different reticles on various different models. Aimpoint P2 and Trijicon only offer dots. I have three Trijicons. The RMR, RMRcc, and the SRO. The RMR is a second gen optic and all the bugs have been worked out. The RMRcc and SRO are both first gens, and I haven't had any problems with any of them. For a first time user if I were to purchase it all over again, I'd repeat what I did and buy the SRO. Big window, easy to find dot. I prefer the big dots as I'm not shooting precison but combat ranges. So for the SRO, for me, I went 5moa. Which is their largest dot.

Holosun has a circle with a dot inside it, and the option for a 2moa dot in the same unit. They also offer a chevron inside a circle. I have a Trijicon MRO on a subgun with the circle/dot and like it alot. I can see the attraction, and why Holosun is popular.

There is a learning curve with red dots. I would make sure I have suppressor sights for anything you buy as it helps in the transition to red dot use. With red dots you focus on the target and let the red dot blur. Sighted in properly, the dot will hit POA.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just because of it's outstanding military record, I opted for the RMR on my 1911. I mounted it on a plate that took the place of the rear sight, so there are no co-witnessing sights on my pistol. It does take some muscle memory to find that red dot in the window and I'm not there yet. The RMR window is smaller than the SRO, but better protected. It has a slightly bluish hue through the window and needs to have the sight removed to change the battery. Since I turn the RMR off between shooting sessions, the battery should last a very long time. I do like being able to adjust the dot intensity down which helps prevent the starburst or astigmatism issue I have when it is turned up too brightly. It might be a bit wide on a smaller pistol. As a range toy, it has made me more accurate with that handgun, but my edc handgun isn't getting a red dot.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Based on my use and experience and my research I think that the Trijicon RMR is truly top of the heep. Having said that, I have more Holosuns than any other. My order of preference for pistol mounted red dots are RMR, Holosun and then Shield. As to bang for the buck, so far, the Holosun is really tough to beat in my opinion. On my full size guns, I have RMRs and on my compacts/micros I have Holosuns. If you do go the RMR route, make sure you dig into them as there are many models with many different features and reticles. On another note, without trying to be insulting Sam, different pistol manufacturers have their optics cut-out for their pistols for specific footprint red dots. Find out what yours is cut for as you may also need to buy an adapter plate for the specific red dot you choose.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
For where you live you're going to want to be able to change the battery without removing the optic.

Holosun's do hold up well typically but I am very partial to Trijicon when it comes to things needing to be exceptionally rugged. Plus I just like giving money to Trijicon.

I'd go SRO and get the biggest fugkin' dot you can find.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Gentlemen, once again I thank you all for the great input and advice.

I am leaning towards the Trijicon SRO.

Just ordered a mounting plate direct from HK so it should be good to go.

Flave mentions a large dot...

SRO comes with a 1, 2.5 or 5 MOA dot.

I want the 5 MOA version?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes on the five.

That will be a very nice setup.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you brother.

These are slightly hard to find in stock.

EuroOptic gtg?

I'm not ordering one of these from Amazon....lol

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Can’t help you there.

My pimp shop keeps them on the shelf. Lol

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey guys not sight related. But my Glock with a round chambered Everytime I spin it on my finger ph ucking thing goes off.. What am I doing wrong? I want to get better at my QuickDraw.

Last edited by 79S; 04/28/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Can’t help you there.

My pimp shop keeps them on the shelf. Lol

Welfare in Florida must pay good..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
hahahaha

Don't shoot your dick off playa!

Ordered the SRO, we be pimp ballin' in no time.

Thanks again enablers.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I wear trifocals and red dots gave me back 20 years. 7 yards and in I'm not sure they are any better than irons. But once your range increases your going to wonder why you didn't do it a decade ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.