Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Looking for opinions. I have a 20 Ram Classic 1500 crew 4x4. Kinda my retirement and traveling truck. I also have a 2004 Dakota crew. 180,000 miles. Owned it 8 years and been out west 8 or 9 times. Never abused but definitely been used. Really showing the hard use. Also gas mileage is 15 mph at best.

Really like a smaller truck for getting around tight trails and like the idea of a "beater" vehicle that's still capable of long trips and getting off road if necessary. Some trips out west don't have to be a truck. So, is there a smaller, body on frame, real 4 wheel drive suv worth a damn as a hunting or trapping vehicle that would carry gear for two guys.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If not a Tacoma then an older 4runner would be my pic, built tuff and just keep going.....and going.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tacoma of some sort

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I also have a 2004 Dakota crew.
My wife had one of those, very close to that year. The heater and a/c quit blowing air. I found a mouse nest inside the blower housing. After some poking around, I had to take it to a shop to get the nest removed. It cost me $700 in labor because they had to dismantle everything under the dash.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We took a Dakota Crew to Canada on a fishing trip and not only was is one cramped ride, but the thing used gas like it had a hole in the tank. We'd have been money ahead if we had taken my full size F150. Given that experience, I sure wouldn't have coddled a Dakota for 180,000 miles. Consumer Reports never gives the 4Runner glowing reports, but it is about the only smaller SUV with a full frame instead of uni-body construction.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you can find a NICE one, Jeep YJ.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I picked up a 1998 Isuzu Trooper manual 4-5 months ago on a trade.

It is an absolute monster.

Best 4x4 I have ever owned (and I have owned a bunch... including Land Cruisers.).

$3k or $3,400 I forget.

Manual is always superior for rough work IMHO.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Teal
Tacoma of some sort

pre Tacoma

late 80's early 90's 4 banger & manual transmission/short bed

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tikkanut

late 80's early 90's 4 banger & manual transmission/short bed

That would be my vote, or a 4runner of the same era. Just avoid the 3.0 v6. The (later) 3.4 is a good one too, not a powerhouse, but a solid motor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Best 4x4 I have ever owned (and I have owned a bunch... including Land Cruisers.).

$3k or $3,400 I forget.

Good score, Cash. I keep an eye out for something like that for a beater but ain't nothing priced like a beater anymore.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

$3k or $3,400 I forget.

Good score, Cash. I keep an eye out for something like that for a beater but ain't nothing priced like a beater anymore.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

She will get an exoskeleton... roof winch etc.

TOUGH RIGS!

Toyota wheels interface... so my 1986 Taco and Izzy can share...

Disregard the logo on the door... young man that did my tube work got carried away with red paint and a logo. Final finish will be a flat black rubber (3M 5200).

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Winchester21
If you can find a NICE one, Jeep YJ.

That or a 4 runner would be my pick

R
RCL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My 87 Toyota shortbed 4 x4 has been a great truck since I purchased it about 15 years ago.
22R four cylinder and a five speed.
Really tough trucks that are easy to work on.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Ranger a six foot man can fit in one.......

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
General FYI if anyone is interested... just popped up in Hampton VA on Fakebook MP

2001 Trooper manual @ $3k final price...

Looks clean and well kept. 190k

Drop me a PM if you need the link.

I will probably buy as a spare... if still around next week.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

$3k or $3,400 I forget.

She will get an exoskeleton... roof winch etc.

TOUGH RIGS!

Toyota wheels interface... so my 1986 Taco and Izzy can share...

Disregard the logo on the door... young man that did my tube work got carried away with red paint and a logo. Final finish will be a flat black rubber (3M 5200).

Great truck, but an 86 isn’t a Taco. The Tacoma’s came out in 95.5 as a mid year replacement for the pickups. I’ve had both and absolutely love Toyota’s.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by LBP

Great truck, but an 86 isn’t a Taco. The Tacoma’s came out in 95.5 as a mid year replacement for the pickups. I’ve had both and absolutely love Toyota’s.

Thanks... Did not know that... just assumed all were Tacos (as a generic frame of reference). The Campfire grows knowledge and that is great stuff.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The trooper that cash suggested is a great option, only issues is the auto trans isn’t the strongest. Other than that they’re pretty solid. Another good option is the mitsubishi montero.

Last edited by Wyatt_G; 05/03/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by scottf270
Looking for opinions. I have a 20 Ram Classic 1500 crew 4x4. Kinda my retirement and traveling truck. I also have a 2004 Dakota crew. 180,000 miles. Owned it 8 years and been out west 8 or 9 times. Never abused but definitely been used. Really showing the hard use. Also gas mileage is 15 mph at best.

Really like a smaller truck for getting around tight trails and like the idea of a "beater" vehicle that's still capable of long trips and getting off road if necessary. Some trips out west don't have to be a truck. So, is there a smaller, body on frame, real 4 wheel drive suv worth a damn as a hunting or trapping vehicle that would carry gear for two guys.

Just use what you got.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Wyatt_G
The trooper that cash suggested is a great option, only issues is the auto trans isn’t the strongest. Other than that they’re pretty solid. Another good option is the mitsubishi montero.

We bought a beater Honda CR-V for our mountain place (2005 @ $2,700)... The auto will NOT hold up... lesson learned... sell the CR-V and buy another Trooper (manual)... I am doing just that now.

We have a fair bit of land... Extremely harsh... Never hurts to have two... spare rig or parts down the road kinda thing. Especially if they are cheap enough.

Last edited by CashisKing; 05/04/22. Reason: Dang typos

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 49 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,088
Posts18,463,966
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.