Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Early 1980’s. B52H IR low level training route at night in the Rockies. Aircraft Commander Pilot (Major at the time) was a complete idiot and incompetent pilot who was eventually grounded and put behind a desk. Low level at TA (terrain avoidance) level all equipment working fine. Bombing / TA radar then fails which immediately requires a climb to safe IFR altitude. Pilot instructed to climb to IFR (safe) altitude but replies that he has good visibility and wants to stay at TA low level (so he can log and get credit for the low level time I suppose). We are in rapidly upsloping terrain at approximately 5000 to 6000’ MSL (mean sea level) with 12,000 to 14,000’ ridge lines about 10 miles out. Aircraft goes “Popeye” in total obscured clouds. Radar Nav commands the Pilot to immediately climb. We are at approximately 6000’ MSL & about 500’ above rapidly rising terrain heading for those 14,000 ridge lines about 10 miles away. B52H put into full throttle max rate climb while in totally obscured clouds with no radar. Aircraft breaks out of clouds in a maximum rate climb just as we have an 80’ crossover on the snow covered ridges. Nobody said anything about this after the mission because the Aircraft Commander was the one who was writing our OER’s (officer evaluation reports). He got his just due though after a later flight with the Squadron Commander flying with us as an observer in the jump seat. Another unsafe thing he did but that is another story.

I operated a KC-135 Flight Simulator for awhile, a couple of real idiots came thru. Hell I wouldn't ride with them in a car. Before that I was a ECM tech. on B-52's. I was working alone in the rear fuselage while the underwing missiles were being fueled. The crew chief had not notified us of this event. Suddenly I was overcome with toxic fumes. I could not see or breath. The rear hatch was open & I managed to fall out !!! When I recovered, I had a serious visit with the crew chief !!!

"not too grumpy"
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BayouRover
For the last 2 1/2 years I've been on a slow decline thanks to an un-curable and in-operable cancer. I'm still looking down at the grass but I'm "aging" pretty fast. The rare cancer that I have is not treatable with chemo or radiation, and the location of the tumor makes it in-operable for a 73 year old man.

The good news is MD Anderson has kept me alive these 2.5 years with trial therapeutic drug treatments, but they too come with a physical price. There are no free lunches with cancer. One day at a time.........

It is what it is.

Thanks for some very nice comments. They are much appreciated

I edited my first post above here. I couldn't do it where I originally posted yesterday. :

Thanks on my part going to where it rightfully resides for my excellent care and treatments. To MD Anderson Cancer Center.... not MA.....

At MDA they work their butt off to save you, and they throw everything humanely possible at cancer that they have available to them.. In my case, for some unknown reason, I won the "lotto" of rare cancers, or as one Dr. called it, " The red headed step child of extremely rare cancer tumors".........

Again, it is what it is.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
According to my dentist, back when I was about 18 and having wisdom teeth removed, I died in his chair. I woke up, or came to, in the chair. I had a major reaction to something, a deadening shot (no pun intended), and my heart quit beating and I quit breathing. “But we got you back” said the dentist, who was extremely pale.

There was no sensation of fainting or losing consciousness. No pain. Never would have known I died, if I had never woken up again. No review of my past life. It was just over, till it wasn’t over.

And years later, in Houston, I worked downtown. I had to walk to the courthouse, which wasn’t very far. They had just started bus contraflow lanes near the courthouse, which meant you had to look the wrong way (not the normal way) to cross the street. I was just about to step into the street, but for some reason I didn’t, and just stood there on the edge of the street, when the right side rear view mirror of a city bus touched my nose as it passed. One step forward and I’d have been killed instantly. I was stunned. So close…

I posted this before I read Bayourover’s post. MD Anderson is the place to be, and I hope they can keep doing the job.
I was there for brain surgery in the 80’s. Benign tumor, thank goodness, but that place was so impressive. Best of luck, Bayourover.

After reading what I wrote, you might wonder how I’m still alive. He’ll, I don’t know.

Last edited by 603Country; 04/26/22.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Slid down a roof & broke through a skylight, It gobbled me up quick. Left hanging by 4 fingers till they put an overhead crane under me to drop to(another fall) while they got a lift truck in place.

Haven't cared much for heights since. Not to mention, not crazy about them to begin with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Green River, Utah.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One time this biotch I was fuggin around on figgered she wuz sick of me and put some poison in my ol' granddad. It tasted kinda funny but I cannon balled that scheit anyway. Well as I laid there in a puddle of my own vomit I suddenly had a vision from the lort. Tolt me to eat some charcoal. I drug my azz out to the grill and ripped into a bag of Kingsford and started chowing down. Well someone in the trailer park called 911 and when I woke up the er doc told me i was an idiot.

JFC I think I blew another sock puppet.

Please delete!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I shot myself in the face on two occasions. With a cyanide gun for coyotes. I’m a slow learner

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
I shot myself in the face on two occasions. With a cyanide gun for coyotes. I’m a slow learner

Saw that happen to our county trapper once. Buddy of mine and I both looked at each other thinking the same thing. This trapper guy is a big sob to have to haul back down to the pickup.

Luckily, he was using good technique setting it and had his hand turned, palm away and it hit his palm and deflected mostly away.

Montana MOFO
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Does having a pistol barrel at the back of my head, seven other weapons, laid across car hoods from the sheriff's officers that arrived for back up, and pointed at me, while being marched back up to my car after being handcuffed, and hoping the 8 month old lab on the front seat didn't spook Officer High and Tight Haircut into pulling a trigger count?

All on a case of mistaken identity.

Not sure, and didn't care at the time, if the orders were lawful or not. I was outnumbered and they had superior firepower. I obeyed.

Or............

nah, I won't relate that one...................yet. wink

That happened to me and a buddy once.

Same except we didn't get handcuffed.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I woke up this morning next to my girlfriend. Tonight I lie next to her.

Everyday is an adventure and a blessing.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Late evening in Wyoming, 10,000 ft. Fly fishing in a small lake I hiked into and got stuck in the mud in my waders. The more I struggled the deeper I went and the more stuck i became. I resorted to cutting myself out of my waders. Water was cooold. Dropped my leatherman into the muck before I could finish the job and now I was wet and muddy and had one foot higher than the other, and losing strength fast. I was exhausted from my struggle. Was starting to get hypothermic when my brother saw my headlamp from about 3/4 mile away and came and found me. He laid some logs into the lake and went out on his stomach and cut me free. Without that, I would have been dead before midnight.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 04/26/22.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Walked through one of these once. Thought I was a goner for sure!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by rickmenefee

Saw that happen to our county trapper once. Buddy of mine and I both looked at each other thinking the same thing. This trapper guy is a big sob to have to haul back down to the pickup.

Luckily, he was using good technique setting it and had his hand turned, palm away and it hit his palm and deflected mostly away.

Yep.

Wind direction and planning are your friends.

Had a newbie call me once, all upset because he couldn't find his antidote....

I told him if he was at his pickup and calling me, he didn't need any. crazy

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Ice fishing fell thru and could not climb out to deep to touch fortunately I was only 25 yards from the shore I swam under the ice and forced myself up between the bank and the edge of Ice. As for you guys that have had close calls with the trains, I have been an Engineer for 25 years, ironically most of the vehicles I see that dont make it have time to get across but look at me at the last minute and run a wheel off the pavement and get stuck. Kept in mind the train brakes dont come on until the after the impact.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by killahog

Ice fishing fell thru and could not climb out to deep to touch fortunately I was only 25 yards from the shore I swam under the ice and forced myself up between the bank and the edge of Ice. As for you guys that have had close calls with the trains, I have been an Engineer for 25 years, ironically most of the vehicles I see that dont make it have time to get across but look at me at the last minute and run a wheel off the pavement and get stuck. Kept in mind the train brakes dont come on until the after the impact.

Came close on a train once. Coming up to the tracks in the middle of the night. The lights were on but there weren't any cross poles. I look to the right and can see the train light way down the track. No big deal, I'll cross with hundreds of yards to spare.

I don't know what made me look left but I did and locked them up. Came to a stop just as the train came screaming through from my left. I was maybe 8-10 feet away. What I thought was the train light to my right was a porch light on a house.

They have cross poles there now.

Me

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i am a 9 lives guy been close too many times last one was on a back sugery that went south lost 10 pints of blood i guess it was a mess ,our dear Lord spared me again. hang in there and pray a little,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When she said. "I do".

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by killahog

Came close on a train once. Coming up to the tracks in the middle of the night. The lights were on but there weren't any cross poles. I look to the right and can see the train light way down the track. No big deal, I'll cross with hundreds of yards to spare.

I don't know what made me look left but I did and locked them up. Came to a stop just as the train came screaming through from my left. I was maybe 8-10 feet away. What I thought was the train light to my right was a porch light on a house.

They have cross poles there now.

Glad to hear you were paying attention.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
For the last 2 1/2 years I've been on a slow decline thanks to an un-curable and in-operable cancer. I'm still looking down at the grass but I'm "aging" pretty fast. The rare cancer that I have is not treatable with chemo or radiation, and the location of the tumor makes it in-operable for a 73 year old man.

The good news is MD Anderson has kept me alive these 2.5 years with trial therapeutic drug treatments, but they too come with a physical price. There are no free lunches with cancer. One day at a time.........

It is what it is.

Thanks for some very nice comments. They are much appreciated

I edited my first post above here. I couldn't do it where I originally posted yesterday. :

Thanks on my part going to where it rightfully resides for my excellent care and treatments. To MD Anderson Cancer Center.... not MA.....

At MDA they work their butt off to save you, and they throw everything humanely possible at cancer that they have available to them.. In my case, for some unknown reason, I won the "lotto" of rare cancers, or as one Dr. called it, " The red headed step child of extremely rare cancer tumors".........

Again, it is what it is.

Just a stranger here - survived a diabetes medication-induced bladder cancer 8 years back. Battling metabolic syndrome for nearly 25 years now. Keeping you in my prayers, because - one day at a time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Does having a pistol barrel at the back of my head, seven other weapons, laid across car hoods from the sheriff's officers that arrived for back up, and pointed at me, while being marched back up to my car after being handcuffed, and hoping the 8 month old lab on the front seat didn't spook Officer High and Tight Haircut into pulling a trigger count?

All on a case of mistaken identity.

Not sure, and didn't care at the time, if the orders were lawful or not. I was outnumbered and they had superior firepower. I obeyed.

Or............

nah, I won't relate that one...................yet. wink

That happened to me and a buddy once.

Same except we didn't get handcuffed.

Did y'all get the helicopter with the big ol' kleig lights shinin' down on you too.

I was happy for them, as I figured the coppers wouldn't have the excuse "It was dark, I couldn't see his hands".

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.