Print Thread
Hop To
#16897665 01/29/22
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Anyone have experience with noslers 180gr. 8mm balistic tip bullet? Im developing a load in my 325WSM.

GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I’ve hunted with them quite a bit. They have a really heavy jacket for a ballistic tip. For a while Nosler used to recommend Ballistic Tips for elk and moose in the 8mm and up calibers. I’m sure that recommendation stopped when it started cutting into Partition or Accubond sales.

I also sent you a pm with a link to some testing that a guy did with the ballistic tips out of his 8x68s. They held together hitting a stump at 75 yards with a mv of 3,160 fps. They are a STOUT bullet.

Why is abbreviate such a long word
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hadsdad

Can you please pm me that link as well? I'll be developing some 8×68s loads shortly.

Mike

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MikeS
Hadsdad

Can you please pm me that link as well? I'll be developing some 8×68s loads shortly.

Mike

Ditto, I'm always looking for new 8x68S data.

Thx.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No experience with the BT’s in 8mm but I’ve shot quite a few critters with 180&200TSX…. I highly recommend them. I used to shoot the 180TSX out of my 8mag for deer. It hits them very hard. Then went to Africa and was planning on eland so I moved up to the 200’s. It hits them very hard as well. Only ever found two of them. One from a north bound zebra I shot in the south end as he was running away ( previously wounded by another hunter) and from an eland bull I shot directly in the shoulder from about 45 yards. Both bullets looked like barnes ads.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Not recommending any bullet here but thought I'd share a recent test. Got in a 8mm bullet swap here with a nice guy from WV. We both hunt with 8x57. I mentioned I had a bunch of old Remington Core Lokt 185's. He said he had read they were pretty tough bullets at 8x57 velocities, too tough, maybe designed for the 8 Mag. I had been using them for years, but that got me worried, so I took a handful and fired them into packed heavy wet snow in cardboard boxes stacked end to end (that's been a good test media in the past) at 150 yds. I then fired the test with the 175 Sierra Pro Hunter at nearly same velocity. Surprise, surprise..the 175's looked like a magazine ad mushroom, the Core Lokt's looked like an absolute A bomb, shedded the jackets,BUT left a trail of destruction and twice the size wound channel as the well behaved Sierra. Dug into the snowbank behind the test boxes and discovered roughly the same penetration of both. We all have different preferences of the bullets we use, but for me, I'm going to stick with the CoreLokts, not just because they are cheap and i have a lot of them.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 200 Accubond is a great 8mm bullet. Killed two elk and shot a deer lengthwise with one, starting at the (ahem) rear shoulder.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
The 200 Accubond is a great 8mm bullet. Killed two elk and shot a deer lengthwise with one, starting at the (ahem) rear shoulder.

Jeff, don't give them more ammunition. Just sayin..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by EJKELLEY
Anyone have experience with noslers 180gr. 8mm balistic tip bullet? Im developing a load in my 325WSM.

Depends on what you're hunting with it.

As others have said above - it's a little sturdier in the jacket than smaller caliber ballistic tips, but it is still going to open up quick. It will get the job done, no doubt, but I can't help but think whichever forequarter you hit will be pretty much jellied once the work is done. pretty much any bullet going 2750+ fps is going to do that, from my hunting experience.

For my 325 WSM, this bullet will run at a touch over 3000 fps, and prefer to use this bullet when the deer are about 200+ yds out

Truthfully, I think Nosler's 200gr AccuBond is a better bullet for the 325 WSM - it was designed with the 8mm Rem Mag and the 325 WSM in mind - but that's just my druthers. I dropped a 350 lb Texas hog using it for the first time: in through the right forequarter, out through the left ham.

If the 180gr BT is what you have in stock, you'll do fine. 8mm bullets are spotty finds at best these days, and commercial loadings are priced sky high these days.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Not recommending any bullet here but thought I'd share a recent test. Got in a 8mm bullet swap here with a nice guy from WV. We both hunt with 8x57. I mentioned I had a bunch of old Remington Core Lokt 185's. He said he had read they were pretty tough bullets at 8x57 velocities, too tough, maybe designed for the 8 Mag. I had been using them for years, but that got me worried, so I took a handful and fired them into packed heavy wet snow in cardboard boxes stacked end to end (that's been a good test media in the past) at 150 yds. I then fired the test with the 175 Sierra Pro Hunter at nearly same velocity. Surprise, surprise..the 175's looked like a magazine ad mushroom, the Core Lokt's looked like an absolute A bomb, shedded the jackets,BUT left a trail of destruction and twice the size wound channel as the well behaved Sierra. Dug into the snowbank behind the test boxes and discovered roughly the same penetration of both. We all have different preferences of the bullets we use, but for me, I'm going to stick with the CoreLokts, not just because they are cheap and i have a lot of them.

Got a bunch of those Remington 185gr CoreLockts myself. Great utility bullet for my 8mm Mausers as well.

I got the opposite information this bullet than your friend did - I've read they were designed for the Mauser round, and would fragment at magnum velocities, so I've been hesitant to load them up for my 325 WSM. Your account verifies my own experience with them - great bullet for deer at 8x57mm velocities, even if they fragment.

For my 325 WSM, I prefer the 200gr and 220gr bullets. For the 8mm Mausers, I prefer the 180gr to 195gr bullets.

IC B3

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’ve shot more game with the .325 WSM than any other cartridge

Links to necro posts of mine on 8mm bullet tests.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5149470

Link to necro post on bullets recovered from game including 8mm bullets.

The 180 grain BT is a good deer bullet. For larger beasts I would suggest the accubond, partition, TTSX, TSX and AFrame

The bullets I used most for hunting in the .325 WSM in from most used to least used were the 180 TSX, 200 AFrame, 180 BT. Limited use with the 195 Hornady.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (22kHornet, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 2,664 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,287
Posts18,467,895
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.