Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The Speer bullets have been about 5 bucks cheaper than the Interlocks. I saw a box of Speer in 243 ( 1220) for $21.99 the other day. Not bad. Last year I saw soem .277 150 gr. ( 1605 and 1604.) They were $20 and $21 a box . There were 6 boxes. I bought 2, then 2 weeks later the other 4 boxes were still there so I bought 2 more. Two weeks later the last 2 boxes were still there so I bought them too. DOnt know why they didnt sell, the Interlocks were selling much faster and more money.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I’ve always shot the cheap federal or remingtons. Most of the deer hunting I do around home is less then a 200 yard shot. No need in spending a fortune on the ammo just taking the time one the shot placement.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Just getting things set up to start loading for my M1A SOCOM, so I'm in the same boat.

I've got some pulled surplus bullets (Nosler 150 gr BT's, 165 gr AccuBonds) and some Sierra 168 gr TMK's in supply, but I'll want some inexpensive hunting bullets, sooner or later.

I'm looking at putting the 150gr Interlocks or Speer Hot-Cors in inventory...these are still the better priced offerings. That said, if I see a surplus stock of Federals or Noslers for a comparable price, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Add me to the Interlock pile. Best basic cup and core lead tipped bullet out there IMHO. I have yet to get one to stop in a deer here in Alabama. Accurate, good expansion without fragmenting. Kill deer rather well. What more could you want?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Whether it's a CL, Hot Cor, Interlock, Game King or similar, if they weren't good, production would have stopped years ago. I think it's fair to say that any C&C bullet recommended by the manufacturer for use on deer would be all you need. It's just a matter of finding the best price. I wouldn't worry too much about the brand name.

Bullet selection is a lot like the Ford vs Chevy debate. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
How about a Lee 309-170 mold and the cheapest gas-checks around? Once in awhile they go on sale. You can make a pile at around a buck or two per pound. Labor intensive but that's what rainy days are for. Can't beat em for fun blasting ammo. I hunt with them too

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
How about a Lee 309-170 mold and the cheapest gas-checks around? Once in awhile they go on sale. You can make a pile at around a buck or two per pound. Labor intensive but that's what rainy days are for. Can't beat em for fun blasting ammo. I hunt with them too

GAschekt, I never did that with rifle, but I make a roundball as , or more accurate than factory and it is very cheap , especially when I got the 100 lbs of lead for free.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bet it'll start happening more and more as the economics of casting own starts winning. There really isn't much this bullet can't do out of a 308. I lube them up and seat gas-checks and load 42.0 grs imr-4895 for 2700 fps, no leading and 1" groups. I had no idea performance like this was possible for cast bullets. I do have close to the correct #2 alloy with antimony and tin as the castings weigh 169grs. Finished bullets weigh 173gr. I can bang steel plates all day long at 300 yds with them

https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-c309-170-f.html

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

180 grains, Lyman 311041. Pound of lead runs ballpark $2 these days, do the math.

50 yards with a Winchester 94 during load work up.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
And you can eat right up to the gas check! smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by JPro
Midsouth Shooters Supply has 100ct boxes of 150 Interlocks for $29.99 and 150 Speer Boattails for $26.49. Pretty cheap these days.

Winner winner

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Speer seems to always cooperate with me in the accuracy department

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Hornady Interlock flat base would be my pick, 150gn in the .308.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B

Been thinking about that. Not to hunt with, but just to make shooting a bunch cheap. What would lead bullets do in a gas operated auto though (Browning Bar)? If it would make it unreliable or a pain to clean, I think I'd rather just pay for bullets. If not, I'm all for it. I already cast and I have a buddy with that mold I could borrow.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've encountered zero problems running these in a gas piston semiautomatic Sig. Far from the notion that lead bullets require more maintenance I've found the opposite is true. It's my copper bullets that copper foul, hence the need for cfe powders. A properly lubricated lead bullet is what I call a shoot forever load. They run clean, the barrel is still shiney after a range session and leaves a protective film. Kinda like a well used cast iron skillet used over and over. I must admit to making my own bullet lube. 60% beeswax, 30%avocado oil, 10% hoglard. Smear it on toast It's perfectly edible.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Most guys do the powder coating method and there's a ton of information out there on that. Old forums and articles are abundant. It takes a little research and experimenting. I read and read until i stumbled upon a lube recipe I found worthy to try with ingredients that were on hand

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I've encountered zero problems running these in a gas piston semiautomatic Sig. Far from the notion that lead bullets require more maintenance I've found the opposite is true. It's my copper bullets that copper foul, hence the need for cfe powders. A properly lubricated lead bullet is what I call a shoot forever load. They run clean, the barrel is still shiney after a range session and leaves a protective film. Kinda like a well used cast iron skillet used over and over. I must admit to making my own bullet lube. 60% beeswax, 30%avocado oil, 10% hoglard. Smear it on toast It's perfectly edible.

That's good to hear. I think I will see about borrowing his mold. I already powder coat buckshot pellets and pistol bullets I cast. Thanks for the info.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by JPro
Midsouth Shooters Supply has 100ct boxes of 150 Interlocks for $29.99 and 150 Speer Boattails for $26.49. Pretty cheap these days.

Winner winner

Those Speer bullets are not nearly as popular but they dont play second fiddle neither.

Last edited by ihookem; 04/30/22.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by texken
never had a problem with remy core loct's

Can't get them as components

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I bought a couple boxes of Hornady # 3031s. Haven't had a chance to load any up yet. Going to try the cast bullets for pinkers too.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.