24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the last years before retirement I engaged a young man from Guadalajara that looked after me better than I looked after myself.
He was a Godsend and we remain friends still.
He will get a nice surprise when I take my last breath as I likely couldnt have lived the way I lived , without his help.
I was truly blessed.

.... like tears in the rain
BP-B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well, stx - if my wife is helping, or nearby doing her own project, I get half my work done in twice or 3 times what it should take for my whole job..

Not counting my own efups.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
If someone can do the physical part, the next most important qualification is the "want to". I can teach anything if you have that. Can't push a rope or steer a parked car.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by kolofardos
Yes! Last one used us a stepping stone on the way to starting his own company. He's now our competition, but I have no animosity, just admiration. Love to see the young guys with ambition, not just showing up for a paycheck.

I've always felt a great sense of pride when people I've hired have gone onto greater roles elsewhere, started their own thing or became peers/leaders themselves. Especially if they still reach out to me to talk and discuss shop.

Had one young lady reach out last week for advice on an interview she was having with a great freight tech company specializing in procurement. She worked for me 3 companies ago.

She ended up with the job and I couldn't be happier for her. Hired someone with raw skills but high ceiling - it's my job to help them get to the ceiling and often - that's at the expense of my own team as they leave.

Me too. I've had several go on to great things. Makes me proud to see them get after it and work hard to get it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My grandson fits that description. He loves his job, shows up early and does it all, fast and well.

A retired competitor of his boss recently told the boss that over half of his business was due to that hustling young man, and that he needs to do all that he can to keep him on the payroll. “Your problems will multiply if he isn’t taking care of them for you, and you don’t want him running his own business as your competitor!”

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I was always looking for an employee who shows up on time, gives me a day's work for a day's pay, and doesn't steal from me. We can work out all the other detalis along the way. "The boss might not always be right, but remember that he's always the boss!"

He wants to work everyday, I'm like Alex I want to BBQ this Sunday. He'll tell me just go drop me off at the job.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Pay him 150 a day whether we work 8 hrs or 12, but he wants to get paid every day. feel bad for him his daughter is "grown" and his family take most of his money, gave him a bunch of clothes I don't wear anymore, and size 34 jeans don't fit me anymore. Good guy but his family takes advantage of him.

They probably snag his enchiladas when he ain't lookin'.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
$150/Day? Holy crap

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes! Last one used us a stepping stone on the way to starting his own company. He's now our competition, but I have no animosity, just admiration. Love to see the young guys with ambition, not just showing up for a paycheck.

I've always felt a great sense of pride when people I've hired have gone onto greater roles elsewhere, started their own thing or became peers/leaders themselves. Especially if they still reach out to me to talk and discuss shop.

Had one young lady reach out last week for advice on an interview she was having with a great freight tech company specializing in procurement. She worked for me 3 companies ago.

She ended up with the job and I couldn't be happier for her. Hired someone with raw skills but high ceiling - it's my job to help them get to the ceiling and often - that's at the expense of my own team as they leave.

This was my attitude when I had people working for me. Always supported them when they had a chance to better themselves.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Lslite
Trained a big black girl years ago.She was a worker and really impressed me at the time.Once I signed her off on the job and she made probation,her ass hit a chair and she ain't moved since.

We had a plumber like that, took forever to get shucked of his sorry ass!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was always looking for an employee who shows up on time, gives me a day's work for a day's pay, and doesn't steal from me. We can work out all the other detalis along the way. "The boss might not always be right, but remember that he's always the boss!"

He wants to work everyday, I'm like Alex I want to BBQ this Sunday. He'll tell me just go drop me off at the job.

you should get him a hooker to let him know you are grateful for his help.

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Pay him 150 a day whether we work 8 hrs or 12, but he wants to get paid every day. feel bad for him his daughter is "grown" and his family take most of his money, gave him a bunch of clothes I don't wear anymore, and size 34 jeans don't fit me anymore. Good guy but his family takes advantage of him.

They probably snag his enchiladas when he ain't lookin'.

Wouldn't surprise me, I tell him to hide his money or leave it with me. They wait for him to go to sleep so they can go through his stuff.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
$150/Day? Holy crap

He's worth every penny. When we leave the job site it cleaned up spotless and the tools are all put up. I don't have
Ave to tell him to do it.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
[quote=Hotrod_Lincoln]I was always looking for an employee who shows up on time, gives me a day's work for a day's pay, and doesn't steal from me. We can work out all the other detalis along the way. "The boss might not always be right, but remember that he's always the boss!"

you should get him a hooker to let him know you are grateful for his help.[/quot
I take care of him,

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I don’t feel to bad for anyone that can wear 34 jeans. I have a favorite pair of 33x34 jeans that my wife calls my “hopeful jeans” as in I’m hopeful that they’ll fit me again some day.

It sounds like you have a great employee. I’ve seen a lot that will work hard when first hired but won’t keep it up. Hopefully he does. I encourage all new employees to work hard and I’ll do what I can to recommend them for permanent positions at a good starting wage and benefits package. It usually works out pretty well for those that do. It’s great to see someone rather a young kid or older person that’s had hard times keep busy and work hard and land a good permanent job.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

That was my goal for those working my station: train them up for the next promotion. Invariably I would be competing against them for a promotion but that was OK as I was usually at odds with the brass so needed to boost enough others up for those guys to reach down and pull me over.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook

you should get him a hooker to let him know you are grateful for his help.

I gotta say. That's probably one of the best bits of advice I've ever seen on this site.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would it be Workman's Comp if he got the crabs?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
$150/Day? Holy crap

He's worth every penny. When we leave the job site it cleaned up spotless and the tools are all put up. I don't have
Ave to tell him to do it.

I think he meant, that’s only $15-$18/hr.?! Around here the fast food restaurants pay that. Our starting wage is $18/hr with Benny’s.
My top guys are making $80k a year plus truck, fuel, 401k, 4 weeks paid time off, year end bonus etc….
It’s a great time to be a valuable employee.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Would it be Workman's Comp if he got the crabs?

I'd get him a can of raid, it works.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,770 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.