Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
another neighbor complained they have to have their labradoodle shaved all the time and it costs $60 bucks a shave. a few posters said dumb as a box of rocks YES that would describe every labradoodle I have seen, they are the rage around me.
to those saying how awesome the poodles are as hunting dogs, I have NEVER seen a poodle hunting on any of the pheasant farms I have been to. its brittany spaniels, german shorthairs, labs and a few drathars. oh and my buddy has that pudel pointer which turned out to be a barely acceptable hunting dog after tons and tons of training, but otherwise is one of the most annoying dogs I have ever been around. meanwhile my lab has never needed a licks worth of hunting training, lets kids lay on him and the kids fight over who gets him in their room at night.

look people have crap dogs and don't know no better, losa opsas, the numerous terrier breeds, [bleep], chiwawa's all their owners think they are the best dogs ever, but they suck.

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by renegade50
Baylor...
AKA: Dogzilla

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Mixed breed greyhound/ Lab/ god knows what else.

House pet extrodinaire.
Daughters rescue dog
Chase's and Trees squirrels
Points at Birds
Chases em as they lift off the ground
Goes after rabbits along fenceline.
Hates buzzards.
Have no doubt if he was trained as a pup he would have been a good multi tasking hunting dog.

Mutt....
Aka pure breed american cheesehound

Yeah, but was he a Fast Food Pointer, like my Fred was? He pointed every such place we passed when traveling, and looked offended when we didn't stop.

Fred was supposed to be Choc Lab/ Chessie cross - all 35 lbs of him. I think there was a Springer in the woodpile there. We had a Cockatiel at the time, so he was taught to leave the bird alone when it was out of the cage. One dy when I opened the cage, Roxy flew out and landed on Fred's back. Freaked them both out!

So I took him grouse hunting one day. After a couple encouragements ( "Am I not to leave birds alone???? ) he went out to retrieve the bird. Lot's of hacking and coughing over the loose feathers in his mouth. The bird was a bit large for his mouth anyway.

He solved the problem by pushing the bird along the ground with his nose to me.

Now THAT is a great retriever! .

He didn't do road traffic well tho.

Last edited by las; 04/29/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Now you’re just showing off your ignorance. You don’t train or teach a dog to hunt. This is ingrained in them and through proper breeding, enhanced and passed on to other generations. They either have it or they don’t. If they do have it, train them in obedience and expose them to every opportunity you can whether it’s with birds, rabbits, bears or tennis balls.

Oh yeah, what’s a pheasant farm? Is that one of those places where you pay a bunch of money to someone to throw a broken tailed ditch parrot into the air so you can shoot it with two ounces of four shot (cause you know they’re tough) and then brag about a ten foot retrieve that my wife’s Bichon could have accomplished?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
my problem with the strictly working dogs like the pointers, drawthars, etc. they make terrible family dogs. They are too ubber high strung on hunting only. If the dog doesn't make a good family dog I don't want them. but I do hunt them a few times a year so I need a hunting dog as well. having a lab is the perfect mix of that. doesn't hurt that my 9 year old lab is also a pointing lab, he holds on birds till you get a shot. a rare trait in a lab.

Lol, tell me more about dogs.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by duck911
We have 2 Goldendoodles.

They are the best 2 dogs we have EVER had.

They are smart, obedient, athletic as hell, and great hunters. Neither is hard headed at all - they have very loving and calm personalities. They literally don't shed a single hair.

Finn is the athlete and master hunter on the left. Stella is the motherly supervisor, on the right.

Expensive mutts you got on yo couch.

Glad to hear they fit your hunting to a tee!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am sure they are out there, but I have yet to meet a doodle that was anything other than goofy and aloof, and I have met a lot. I am sure there are exceptions. I have yet to meet one that was a hunter. I am sure there are exceptions. CC didn't word it quite correctly, but dogs that come from a strictly hunting lineage can have a LOT of hunting drive and may in fact not make as good of a pet. I see this at the park in a few labs and GSPs. They don't spend any time socializing with people or dogs. They are constantly dropping balls at their owner's feet, demanding retrieves. Those are the exceptions. Talking to the owners, that's just the way the dogs are wired. Wherever they are they just want to work. It's also not uncommon for purely hunting dogs to be kept in kennels with very little human interaction until it's time to hunt. I see this with dogs that are used for rabbit hunting, coon hunting and deer hunting. Some duck hunters do this with their labs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
[quote=cumminscowboy]
You are one dump phuc.Standard poodles were bred in Germany as an all around hunting dog.They are exceptional water dogs and can point naturally.Poodle means puddle in German.I will put my Standard poodles against any all around hunting dog .Of course if you breed a poodle with some mutt lab you will probably not get much.Breed a hunting poodle with a hunting lab and you will have some thing.Every ass hole and his brother are buying any poodle and breeding with any lab or golden and you get what you bred.

I have a good bud who has a poodle that is an insanely good duck dog. That happens. It's not the norm.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
another neighbor complained they have to have their labradoodle shaved all the time and it costs $60 bucks a shave. a few posters said dumb as a box of rocks YES that would describe every labradoodle I have seen, they are the rage around me.
to those saying how awesome the poodles are as hunting dogs, I have NEVER seen a poodle hunting on any of the pheasant farms I have been to. its brittany spaniels, german shorthairs, labs and a few drathars. oh and my buddy has that pudel pointer which turned out to be a barely acceptable hunting dog after tons and tons of training, but otherwise is one of the most annoying dogs I have ever been around. meanwhile my lab has never needed a licks worth of hunting training, lets kids lay on him and the kids fight over who gets him in their room at night.

look people have crap dogs and don't know no better, losa opsas, the numerous terrier breeds, [bleep], chiwawa's all their owners think they are the best dogs ever, but they suck.

Terriers, Shih Tzus and Chihuahuas are fine dogs that will be good companions for their entire lives.

Not every dog has to be a Lab to be a good dog.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I am sure they are out there, but I have yet to meet a doodle that was anything other than goofy and aloof, and I have met a lot. I am sure there are exceptions. I have yet to meet one that was a hunter. I am sure there are exceptions. CC didn't word it quite correctly, but dogs that come from a strictly hunting lineage can have a LOT of hunting drive and may in fact not make as good of a pet. I see this at the park in a few labs and GSPs. They don't spend any time socializing with people or dogs. They are constantly dropping balls at their owner's feet, demanding retrieves. Those are the exceptions. Talking to the owners, that's just the way the dogs are wired. Wherever they are they just want to work. It's also not uncommon for purely hunting dogs to be kept in kennels with very little human interaction until it's time to hunt. I see this with dogs that are used for rabbit hunting, coon hunting and deer hunting. Some duck hunters do this with their labs.

Yes that is worded better! Also I agree you don’t train the instinct to hunt per say. But after my buddy had the pudelpointer fetch and chew on pheasant wings for long enough the dog did actually hunt. The first few outings before that my lab had to find all the birds. One of my 4 labs didn’t turn out to be a very good dog. So I know a lot is dog specific

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by renegade50
Baylor...
AKA: Dogzilla

Mixed breed greyhound/ Lab/ god knows what else.

House pet extrodinaire.
Daughters rescue dog
Chase's and Trees squirrels
Points at Birds
Chases em as they lift off the ground
Goes after rabbits along fenceline.
Hates buzzards.
Have no doubt if he was trained as a pup he would have been a good multi tasking hunting dog.

Mutt....
Aka pure breed american cheesehound

Yeah, but was he a Fast Food Pointer, like my Fred was? He pointed every such place we passed when traveling, and looked offended when we didn't stop.

Fred was supposed to be Choc Lab/ Chessie cross - all 35 lbs of him. I think there was a Springer in the woodpile there. We had a Cockatiel at the time, so he was taught to leave the bird alone when it was out of the cage. One dy when I opened the cage, Roxy flew out and landed on Fred's back. Freaked them both out!

So I took him grouse hunting one day. After a couple encouragements ( "Am I not to leave birds alone???? ) he went out to retrieve the bird. Lot's of hacking and coughing over the loose feathers in his mouth. The bird was a bit large for his mouth anyway.

He solved the problem by pushing the bird along the ground with his nose to me.

Now THAT is a great retriever! .

He didn't do road traffic well tho.

Baylor and Brady got the mooch mutt thing down with khanarella and the daughter when they go to starbucks with them in the daughters car.
The get their free pooch cup of whipped cream

Since I been doing starbucks runs for the ole lady since her surgery.
I have seen numerous people with their dogs in their vehicles doing the same.
Dogs sitting upright facing the drive thru window waiting on their pooch cup.

😄😄😄😄😄

Gotta go hit the place now for khanarella,s coffee before I head out to a gunshow.

CB1 duties are calling ( coffee bytch 1) 😄😄😄😄🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
My dog Cookie used to be the same in the truck on a McDonald's run.
Drive thru window free doggie bisquits.

😄😄😄

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our daughter has 3 Goldendoodles. However, they were bred from toy poodles, not standards. They're the dumbest dogs that I've ever seen. The original standard poodle was a great hunting breed but the AKC ruined them, especially when they started breeding them down to toys.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't know anything about doodles, but we have had a standard Poodle (Ruger) for the last 10 years. Great dog lots of personality, smart, affectionate, and gentle. Ruger would have made a great hunting dog as he naturally points out birds and other game while on walks. Loud noises like thunder makes him alert and usually we have to play fetch inside the house during thunderstorms, my other two dogs Beagle and Bloodhound are looking for a place to hide. Easily the most trainable dog I've ever owned, too bad I never had much time to work with him when he was younger but he's a great companion dog.

The only issue we have with him is seizures. He started having them when he was about five years old, and we can't figure out what's triggering them. He has them on an irregular basis, and we went almost a year between the last documented one. He is peculiar in the fact that he has them while sleeping, never when he's playing with the other dogs or having other stimuli.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my problem with the strictly working dogs like the pointers, drawthars, etc. they make terrible family dogs. They are too ubber high strung on hunting only. If the dog doesn't make a good family dog I don't want them. but I do hunt them a few times a year so I need a hunting dog as well. having a lab is the perfect mix of that. doesn't hurt that my 9 year old lab is also a pointing lab, he holds on birds till you get a shot. a rare trait in a lab.
I have a feeling you are very short on experience with some of the breeds you say you don't like. I've been around multiples of PP or drathaars that are great family dogs. IMO/E that side of a dog is about the training...

Unless I decide to give a squirrel dog breed a try, I don't see myself having anything other than a PP or drathaar. Hank has been the best family dog we've had. His one fault, which is mine, is that he does get excited around new people/dogs. But, given a bit of time, he chills out. When it's just the family, he's very chill. I've killed multiple species of upland birds, rabbits, squirrels, ducks, and even one coyote over him. All but the coyote he brought to hand.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
"I've owned nothing but labs my whole life, they aren't dumb!"

Get a real dog with a brain like a Blackmouth Cur, Mountain Cur, Catahoula, etc and you'll see your labs actually had down syndrome. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106

What breed is that? I love the coloring on his body.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'll stick with my mutts...

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Trigger, he’s a Deutsch Drahthaar. In a nutshell he’s the original German wirehair pointer. When the Germans decided they needed a versatile hunting dog that could point, track, retrieve, blood trail feathered and furred game they crossed the Pudelpointer, Stickelhaar, Griffon and Kurzhaar to make what they figured what was the perfect hunting dog for their style. This breed was and is,maintained through a standard of ability testing, colors, size and genetic health issues. In the 1950’s someone decided they didn’t really want to go through the process of getting their dog certified to breed and got the AKC to recognize the German Wirehair as it’s own breed, with no regard to the standards of the DD. For example, the color of my dog is Braunschimmel (brown ticked) there is also Schwartzschimmel (black ticked)and Braun (brown solid). You won’t see a white DD which there are a bunch of white GWP’s. If you want to know the history check out the VDD-GNA or any reputable breeder and it can explain in more detail.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can'r speak to golden doodles, but my standard poodle is 75 pounds of personality, smarts and love. She is gentle with little kids, high energy , but cool as a cucumber. Smart as hell and doesn't shed.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
Trigger, he’s a Deutsch Drahthaar. In a nutshell he’s the original German wirehair pointer. When the Germans decided they needed a versatile hunting dog that could point, track, retrieve, blood trail feathered and furred game they crossed the Pudelpointer, Stickelhaar, Griffon and Kurzhaar to make what they figured what was the perfect hunting dog for their style. This breed was and is,maintained through a standard of ability testing, colors, size and genetic health issues. In the 1950’s someone decided they didn’t really want to go through the process of getting their dog certified to breed and got the AKC to recognize the German Wirehair as it’s own breed, with no regard to the standards of the DD. For example, the color of my dog is Braunschimmel (brown ticked) there is also Schwartzschimmel (black ticked)and Braun (brown solid). You won’t see a white DD which there are a bunch of white GWP’s. If you want to know the history check out the VDD-GNA or any reputable breeder and it can explain in more detail.

Good stuff.
Thanks

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 30 invisible), 2,069 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.