Print Thread
Hop To
V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
I am sold ! this thing is better than I expected for me . I have a very screwed right hand due to a very old injury .I am able to use this thing like I have owned it for years .The only cheezy thing is the rear sight for adjustment which is very crude but once adjusted it is fine .I doubt I will ever move it from where it is set now .I am still working on my target hold and the proper size bull to check my load development and group size . I am loading a Sierra 55 gr # 1390 bthp . with 24 Gr of H 322 and Wolf cases . I hope to find some of the heavier blunt bullets to try .It has 8 twist. I did reduce the size of the gas port and added front and rear buffer washers .Hope to get brave and work on the 6# trigger to get it to about 4#. It came with two 5 rd mags and I hope to find a 10 rd one that I might carry in it most of the time.I think it will settle in to be about a 2.5 in rifle at 100 yds using the peep. I am very pleased for a dinged up lefty using a right SA (no powder flash either ).

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you’ll find the twist is actually 1-9”. No matter for the most part.

I replaced the gas port on mine as well. Reduces the first shot flier and piles the brass up in a smaller pile. Mine puts the first shot about an inch low at 50, easy to manage. Function is boringly perfect; not a single whoopsie since I finished futzing with the port. Also installed a set of buffers. I’m not messing with the trigger.

If you keep an eye on the SPS site, you may find their 64gr bonded loads and/or bullets on sale. The ammo mostly won’t even chamber in my Hawkeye, but flows like water through the Mini. Someday I’d like to pop a doe with it. Last time out, plain old Federal American 55gr FMJ grouped nicely, as did some Fiocchi 50gr VMax. I’m running a 1-4 SWFA scope, and hoping it survives the pounding.

For what they are, a service-grade utility carbine, they perform perfectly. If I need to shoot something in the eye, I’ll use something else.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
Pappy what is the SPS site ? Hope your scope last ! I will try one on mine later this summer .Mine will be packed all summer while out in the hills .

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by verns
I am sold ! this thing is better than I expected for me . I have a very screwed right hand due to a very old injury .I am able to use this thing like I have owned it for years .The only cheezy thing is the rear sight for adjustment which is very crude but once adjusted it is fine .I doubt I will ever move it from where it is set now .I am still working on my target hold and the proper size bull to check my load development and group size . I am loading a Sierra 55 gr # 1390 bthp . with 24 Gr of H 322 and Wolf cases . I hope to find some of the heavier blunt bullets to try .It has 8 twist. I did reduce the size of the gas port and added front and rear buffer washers .Hope to get brave and work on the 6# trigger to get it to about 4#. It came with two 5 rd mags and I hope to find a 10 rd one that I might carry in it most of the time.I think it will settle in to be about a 2.5 in rifle at 100 yds using the peep. I am very pleased for a dinged up lefty using a right SA (no powder flash either ).

A 2.5 MOA aperture sighted Carbine - is just fine by me.

Cut an inch off and square the butt, 1-1/4" swivels and sling, Tech-Sights adjustable rear sight, Choate Ventilated Handguard, and some OEM Ruger 10-round mags and 55 gr. M193.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GR

V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
is that a 10 rd mag ? I am going to get a 10 Rd Mag as I think it is a good compromise .

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by verns
Pappy what is the SPS site ? Hope your scope last ! I will try one on mine later this summer .Mine will be packed all summer while out in the hills .

https://www.shootersproshop.com/223-rem-64g-bonded-solid-base-defense-ammunition-20ct.html

Out of stock right now, but if you get on their mailing list you’ll be kept in the loop. $19.95 is the lowest sale price I’ve seen. I’ve bought 5 boxes twice. Not the fastest load, but should be a good one for deer and piggies.

If the scope craps, I’ll send it back for repair and remount the PA Cyclops. It seems to be able to take it okay.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I drilled out the swivel mounts too so QDs would fit. That SS is harder than woodpecker lips.

Amazon actually sells Made in America swivels, if you can believe it.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Three - Two Beer.

abusus non tollit usum

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 808outdoors, 21, 1973cb450, 12 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 690 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.