Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by las
And the quotas bought up by the commercials or charters?

I'd think 50% Commercial, ironclad- no other hinking allowed, 25% charter, 25% private would be equitable, under any over-all limit. Any un-used quota, any source, could only help the resource.

Pretty close to that now in SE. charters are 18% and are the smallest user group. Both unguided sport and subsistence harvest more than charters.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
There's a bunch of people who like to eat halibut throughout the US of A. Most of those can't charter a boat and go out fun fishing and bring a few home to eat. They depend on others to catch their fish for them so they can eat. My guess is halibut was historically a commercial only fisheries that the sports are trying to privatize for themselves.

Dead wrong. It was a subsistance fish long before it was commercially feasible to haul it all the way back to Seattle to market. Sportfishing was big at an early time.

Quite literally, AK cods were not marketable until they wiped out Grand Banks cod and had to find new sources. That was '90s! Lingcod from AK were not marketable until other white fish got scarce, despite the incredible quality.

I think your wrong besides the substance fisheries, but don't let facts get in the way of a good story.
https://fishingbooker.com/blog/history-of-halibut-fishing-in-alaska/

You do know that your own link contradicts your assertion and confirms what others have told you, don’t you? From your link…

The first records of Halibut fishing in Alaska date as far back as the late 18th century. While passing near the Shumagin Islands in 1788, Captain Cook witnessed First Nation people catch as many as a hundred Halibut in a single day. Many other explorers recorded the local First Nation’s Halibut fishing prowess since.
The locals originally fished for Halibut exclusively for food. They would catch as many as they could, eating what they needed, and drying the rest for later. However, it would not take long for the tradition to evolve into a valuable source of income.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nothing is more commercial than the Charter Fleet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Yes, a commercial water taxi...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Charter fleet are tweeners. Commercial as it can get in terms of making money and profiting off the resource. But they use sport gear and follow most sport regulations. So take you pick.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I believe Captain Steve launches out of Ninilchik.

Anyone fished with his services?

Thanks
Allen

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
$250 per person. charters available on Alaska List or Craig's list? Salmon or Halibut, Until June 15 or so, $330? for combo. Just saw it in passing this morning. Then it jumps way up!

Don't know anything about the charter outfi t- 6 pack, nor remember where they fish out of. But Kenai Pen.

Last edited by las; 04/27/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by hemiallen

Thanks
Allen

Fished with Steve years ago.. Ninilchik or Anchor Point
Good guy..

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Google "Current Lady" -------Central Charters Homer AK

Definitely one of - if not THE - nicest boats in the fleet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Was down looking for feeders the last few days and talked to one of my charter buddies (Arctic Addiction) and he said summer ‘22 is essentially full, ‘23 is filling, and they are putting spots in the book for ‘24.

R.I.P. JB.

I fished with Mike in about 2008. We got our rockfish,ling's
and start jigging/drifting for halibut.. Wasn't long and I had a Savage take down followed massive head shakes..
Mike smiled and said he should of sold me a derby tkt..
He cranked down the drag and we backed down on the for over and an hour..Git some line, loose some.
By the time we it under us and was inching it up there were
several other boats watching the goings on.
I'd already told Mike we'd shake it loose.. Dang thing was
hooked smack dab in the middle of tail fin.. Mike grabbed some ganion, put a couple knots in it, for the width..
Beer and Fat Olives pizza never tasted better..
The next Mike stopped at the Lodge in Ninilchik to drop
off some stuff we left in his boat.. Told us Arctic Addiction was talk of the harbor for releasing a 250+ butt..

That picture of the Huntress saddens me. I didn't know Josh.. Have a couple buddies knew him well..

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hemiallen

Thanks
Allen

Met him and hunted with him in Wyoming. Really nice guy. My buddy has fished with him twice and had a good time both times. Steve supposedly has a great cook.
I have intentions of going but life keeps getting in the way.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks

We won't be staying at Steve's lodge, but will be in Homer to fish with his crew. Steve is from a family of charter fishermen near us and moved from California to start his business, so we have fished with the Smith's down here and got his info on a local charter trip earlier this spring. Hoping to get to catch some monster Lings if the weather allows, along with big Halibut. I hear his daughter was born just after they got to Alaska, seems like a good setup, but they had openings but no housing when we booked with his daughter.

Allen

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I fished on board the Nauti Lady, who are booked by Bob’s Trophy Charters. I forget the captains name, but the First Mate was a cute little blond from California named Stormy. She was very competent as well as friendly and everyone limited out on Halibut. She filleted all of the catches and tagged each limit with the angler’s name. It was a fun trip.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I just got back from Anchorage yesterday. Wife and I were in Homer from last Sunday and went on a "group charter" on Tuesday of last week. We went down to the spit on Sunday afternoon to look into charters. Talked to a couple of different people that said they would check their availability and call me but none did. We had dinner that night at Capt Patties and noticed Maverick Charters across the street.

Mary was very accommodating and said they had openings for Monday or Tuesday but the weather looked better for Tuesday.
We opted for the 3/4 day trip on the 56 foot Ultimate. Twelve people on board that morning and not a single a-hole in the bunch.

Capt Billie seemed to know what he was doing and got us on some decent fish about an hour or so from the dock. The crew did a great job of shuffling people around the ensure everyone got their "bigger Halibut" on board and per regulations, My wife and I both got fish in the 40 lb range.
The capt moved to a different location to enable everyone to get their "under 28" fish". It got pretty busy for the crew having to measure and cull several that were "overs" and a few under size that would have been legal but instead of just saying "you're done" the crew worked to get you one at least 26 inches. I caught and released about five overs and one 20 incher. Everyone on the boat got their limit and the big one (55 lbs) was caught by a 9 YO first time fisherman. Several people also caught grey cod too.

The two girl crew did a great job of filleting the fish on the way in and we were met at the dock by a rep from Homer fish processing and they carted the catch up the ramp and back to their facility. Lots of work considering it was low tide. There were several options for processing.

I decided to ship our catch home rather than drag it around for four more days and then to the airport. After doing some quick math I figured that including the trip, tip, processing and shipping I paid about $1 more a pound for the 30 plus pounds I shipped home than I would have paid for it at Whole Foods back in Atlanta.

All thing considered this turned out to be a great way to start my retirement. My last day was the 20th and I decided to tag along with my wife on a work trip. I would highly recommend Maverick charters for a trip, if anyone has any questions I haven't covered feel free to PM but do it fast. I ain't getting any younger and my wife says " memory is the second thing to go" and I can't remember what the first one was.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Couple boats mentioned in the thread; Arctic Addictions and Current Lady.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

604 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,278
Posts18,448,479
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.