Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Let's see em.

I am thinking of building 3 or 4 on my small piece of property for deer and turkey hunting

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

The easy way to build a ground blind is to use 3 or 4 wood pallets, put them on edge and tie them together, you can stack brush up to them, if you feel the need, we set them up usually under a tree, for the shade and concealment, after the pallets are there for a week or so the critters won't pay any attention to them. I have 8 or 10 of them I use a bunch, some have been in the same place for over 10 years. killed a lot of critters from aground blind , and they are easy to move if you need to or found abetter place for them, i don't sit in a box blind unless it's raining hard, i hate box blinds. Riio7

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I like to drag a couple of big limbs together maybe tie across limb too. Legal to tie stuff with hay rope or twine here. I have a couple of those bowhunter umbrellas that go above the tree stand when you're in a tree, they work good to fill in a blind and sit behind them, they come in different cammo. Light easy to open. Have used them bow and rifle hunting.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My boy likes to do that when he was young until we found a 6’ rattler in one early one morning

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There is actually one already there made with 3 or 4 old pallets. Had some old netting draped over them at one time.

Pallets aren't in the best shape but they have drug some old limbs of about 4-6" diameter up around it and it looks like it wouldn't be too bad of a set up.

I haven't been over in it yet to see how I like it. Actually thought about using it one of these mornings turkey hunting.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 05/03/22.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak

Anything on the back side?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Anything on the back side?

No, three sides and hillside to rear.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Lean against a tree and sit still. What do you need a blind for?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eblake

Hand motion on box and slate call and many cases my nephew or niece is with me. Grab a snack or swig of water.

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yes, hunting with kids changes my attitude. It seems impossible for any youngster to sit still. Otherwise, I have had deer get so close that I don't believe a blind would have helped and may have interfered with my shooting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, the OP did say "natural ground blinds" and as a public land hunter, WI. defines a natural blind on public land as one made out of naturally occurring vegetation in the area. On private property anything goes, but not so on the state land. The best one that I've found lately is a big fallen tree with a big root ball that I'm going to use this bow season. I'm not sure a fox hole would be considered "natural" but I've dug in a few of those for dad and his buddies and they hide a guy really well below ground. The problem using evergreen branches is that they turn brown and drop their needles after a year. One of my better hides has been cutting up an artificial Christmas tree, through far from being natural. Honestly a roll up turkey blind works pretty well and I've had deer walk by those pretty close. I get seen and sniffed way more often from any ground blind than I do from a tree stand.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The wind direction is a factor, but as long as you can sit very still, it is surprising how little structure is needed for a ground blind. A plastic lawn chair with no moving parts, painted black has really helped me sit still & quiet. I have had deer come up to only 5 yards away looking right at me. I shot as soon as they turned their heads away.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hand motion on box and slate call and many cases my nephew or niece is with me. Grab a snack or swig of water.

Nyquil

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for the tip.

All day sits when I deer hunt. Sometimes I sit in one spot all morning turkey hunting waiting on late morning birds to show.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 05/03/22.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Man, can't count how many times I've found a "spot" and spent the next hour or so dragging up dead limbs, cutting leafy limbs and whatever natural stuff for an ambush.
By using stuff that's just lying around, you don't have to jo back and clean up and materials are free! 😉

Geez! I gotta figure out how to post pictures here! 😖

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Postimages.org

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Windfall
Well, the OP did say "natural ground blinds" and as a public land hunter, WI. defines a natural blind on public land as one made out of naturally occurring vegetation in the area. On private property anything goes, but not so on the state land. The best one that I've found lately is a big fallen tree with a big root ball that I'm going to use this bow season. I'm not sure a fox hole would be considered "natural" but I've dug in a few of those for dad and his buddies and they hide a guy really well below ground. The problem using evergreen branches is that they turn brown and drop their needles after a year. One of my better hides has been cutting up an artificial Christmas tree, through far from being natural. Honestly a roll up turkey blind works pretty well and I've had deer walk by those pretty close. I get seen and sniffed way more often from any ground blind than I do from a tree stand.

Downed trees are great. If you can sit on the trunk with your back against the roots, it gets you up a bit for a better view and the roots provide back cover and a backrest.

There’s a rocky knob near “my spot” on public land that has lots of natural seats and great views of a little valley and the opposite ridge. Spots like that help keep Grandpa outta trees, a good thing as he probably don’t bounce so good.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've never had the nerve to try it but I've wondered how well a camo umbrella would work for a quick blind. You can get them in about whatever pattern you like. Just set it down and sit behind it. You might have to brace it if the wind is blowing. It might be good to sit under if it's raining, too.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I like to add a few sticks to help hold it in place!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Sittin in a lawn chair, and this critter walked up to about 3-4 yards, there's a lot to be said for, work the wind and sit still, Rio7

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RIO7

Sittin in a lawn chair, and this critter walked up to about 3-4 yards, there's a lot to be said for, work the wind and sit still, Rio7

I get all of that.

I sit all day when deer hunting, almost 12 hours and most of the time it is in 1 spot from before daylight until after dark, most times in a tree stand but suitable trees on this piece are few and far between plus some aren't along travel routes or the brush is so thick that getting up in a tree makes the cover even worse.

Sitting still for 12 hours is impossible, at least it is for me.

I turkey hunt from before sun up until 1 o'clock which is all the later we can hunt. Sometimes I sit in the same spot for 7+ hours because birds won't work so we wait on em to come to strut zones or food sources.

I am just needing some pics/ideas of different styles of natural ground blinds that I could possible utilize for extended hunts on the ground.

Some may be suitable for rifle/shotgun hunting while others would be better for bowhunting due to clearance issues with a bow.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 05/04/22.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've never had the nerve to try it but I've wondered how well a camo umbrella would work for a quick blind. You can get them in about whatever pattern you like. Just set it down and sit behind it. You might have to brace it if the wind is blowing. It might be good to sit under if it's raining, too.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

^^^THIS^^^

It's small and compact. You can set it up in seconds anywhere you are.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven’t used one as a blind yet, but they’s saved a number of hunts for me in the past when I was working and had to hunt on a schedule, rain or shine. Last deer I shot in Mineral County in 2011 was taken on the second morning of a three-day soaker. Even with a Gore Tex coat, I wouldn’t have lasted long enough to take that one without the umbrella.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Are my favorite! I'll crawl into the treetop of a fallen tree, stack up fallen limbs... and my favorite is like what roundoak posted, on the side of a hill, preferably against a fallen tree. Of course location dictates what, and how, the natural material is used. Thankfully, we don't have venomous snakes up here to worry about, we just have ticks...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
One of the easiest and quickest set ups I've used in the past is a12-15 ft pc of Redbrand field fencing. Form it into a circle leaving just enough spacing in the back to squeeze inside. Take what ever natural vegetation that is available.....Mytle Bushes, Pine limbs, corn stalks, etc and weave them thru the wire. It stands up on it's own, last the whole season and can be replenished each season. Put you a comfortable chair inside and you are ready to go! The wire does not have to be new. I use scraps from my farm and it last forever.

Last edited by Bobcat85; 05/06/22.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have killed a pile of deer sitting on the ground with my back against a tree.
Some very close.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
W
I have scrub cedars on my property. I cut a few lower branches and put a lawn chair in there. They are a good wind break and pretty fair at shedding rain.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

this

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Like This! ^^^

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by texken

this
I will pay either of you to sit still for anything from 3-12 hours.

I can sit by a tree for an hour or 2 pretty easily. Start making all day sits in the exact same spot and things get to where a little extra cover would be very handy.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 05/10/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was over at Deer & Deer Hunting, there was a group of guys who were big fans of natural ground blinds.

Everybody had their own school of thought, but generally speaking:

1) Get in early, and do it. Start in the spring at least getting the big pieces dragged in and set. Deer are hinky about stuff that shows up in their environment.

2) Most of the best blinds come from being up top looking down. You want to see and not be seen. The higher you are, the less likely you are to be smelled. The heads and sides of ravines are the best.

3) If you build it right, a blind can last decades, but it will require brushing in every year.

4) Stillness is the key. You have to be able to be absolutely still

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
There is actually one already there made with 3 or 4 old pallets. Had some old netting draped over them at one time.

Pallets aren't in the best shape but they have drug some old limbs of about 4-6" diameter up around it and it looks like it wouldn't be too bad of a set up.

I haven't been over in it yet to see how I like it. Actually thought about using it one of these mornings turkey hunting.
Freshened it up today. Cleaned some leaves from underfoot.

I do need to get a chair in it as it has a short 2 gallon bucket in there right now. Too short for me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/28/22.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Looks great!

I made a blind seat once, used a piece of plywood for the base, a couple of boat seat pedestals to get an appropriate height, a stainless boat seat swivel and a cheap plastic boat seat that I drilled some weep holes in. Very comfortable and quiet.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
There’s a guy over on Tradgang that sells a seat that straps on a tree that would probably be great for when you come across a funnel or saddle you think looks good and you decide you want to sit it the rest of the day. Be more comfortable than sitting on the ground or your heels.

Around here it’s easy in the early season. We have so many weeds and briars you can brush in about anywhere with minimal noise. After the leaves fall and the woods open up it’s definitely tougher to get situated in a spot where you can draw a bow without being seen when the deer are inside bow range.

Out at the ranch where there is almost no cover except the folds in the terrain my dad build rock huts to get out of the wind and hide movement. I’ll snap a pic of one and post later.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
There’s a guy over on Tradgang that sells a seat that straps on a tree that would probably be great for when you come across a funnel or saddle you think looks good and you decide you want to sit it the rest of the day. Be more comfortable than sitting on the ground or your heels.

Around here it’s easy in the early season. We have so many weeds and briars you can brush in about anywhere with minimal noise. After the leaves fall and the woods open up it’s definitely tougher to get situated in a spot where you can draw a bow without being seen when the deer are inside bow range.

Out at the ranch where there is almost no cover except the folds in the terrain my dad build rock huts to get out of the wind and hide movement. I’ll snap a pic of one and post later.
👍

Do you happen to know his username on tradgang? I am a member over there, can do a search.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/29/22.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don’t think I have pics handy but I love them. I’d wager and say I’ve shot 75% of my deer from a natural ground blind.

We usually pile up logs and brush cut pine boughs and make pretty much a rabbit patch lol.

Set my chair in and snip little shooting lanes in the blind. If we have a bar stool, we use those. They spin all the way around quietly in the blind.

We always use a big enough log on the top to use as a fun rest too.

Last edited by tzone; 10/29/22.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I make them all the time. I never get into tree stands. One great tool I carry when I plan to make ground blinds is a pair of lightweight Fiskars Hand pruners.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I just made one a few weeks ago. Damn cow must have walked through it. Gone now

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 62 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.