Print Thread
Hop To
B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

going to zambia in august...besides malaria pills ..tetanus.... what other shots has anyone taken as a precaution...bob

GB1

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CDC reccomendations for Zambia

I would start here. Then find a good travel physician.

Arcus Venator
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Before I went to Zambia, I got updated on some vaccines even though they weren’t required. I got cholera and typhoid and hepatitis vaccines, updated Tetanus, Doxycycline (good for tick bites) and got a prescription for Malarone, which everyone needs to take.

I took one other prescription along, which I ended up needing. My doctor gave me a ‘scrip for Tramadol, as I wanted something for a painkiller in case anyone got hurt. Well, my last day of my hunt, I was trying to run down a poacher in early morning semi-darkness and took a hard fall when I stepped into a large hole while running full speed. Sprained my knee, cracked a couple ribs and tore my rotator cuff! When they got me back to camp, I took 2 Tramadol as I was in great pain. For all the good Tramadol did, I might as well have used them as suppositories and shoved them up my arse. Now, I take a prescription for Percocet as a pain killer in case of injury.

I also take hydrocortisone anti-itch lotion, immodium, Excedrin and advil. Zambia has lots of Tsetse flies, so good repellant is important. Light colored clothing also helps as Tsetse’s are attracted to darker colored clothing.

Zambia is a fantastic country with many excellent PH’s. Enjoy!

Last edited by CAelknuts; 04/29/22.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I was preparing for a safari that ended up not working out. The local clinic in Wisconsin used CDC recommendations for the area I was traveling to and vaccinations were distributed accordingly.

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JohntheElectrician
I was preparing for a safari that ended up not working out. The local clinic in Wisconsin used CDC recommendations for the area I was traveling to and vaccinations were distributed accordingly.

have been to the cdc site...it includes rabies in its recommendations among others....want to get what I need just not anything there is a slim chance for......bob

IC B2

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by CAelknuts
Before I went to Zambia, I got updated on some vaccines even though they weren’t required. I got cholera and typhoid and hepatitis vaccines, updated Tetanus, Doxycycline (good for tick bites) and got a prescription for Malarone, which everyone needs to take.

I took one other prescription along, which I ended up needing. My doctor gave me a ‘scrip for Tramadol, as I wanted something for a painkiller in case anyone got hurt. Well, my last day of my hunt, I was trying to run down a poacher in early morning semi-darkness and took a hard fall when I stepped into a large hole while running full speed. Sprained my knee, cracked a couple ribs and tore my rotator cuff! When they got me back to camp, I took 2 Tramadol as I was in great pain. For all the good Tramadol did, I might as well have used them as suppositories and shoved them up my arse. Now, I take a prescription for Percocet as a pain killer in case of injury.

I also take hydrocortisone anti-itch lotion, immodium, Excedrin and advil. Zambia has lots of Tsetse flies, so good repellant is important. Light colored clothing also helps as Tsetse’s are attracted to darker colored clothing.

Zambia is a fantastic country with many excellent PH’s. Enjoy!

good info thanks...I did read about your adventure ......bob

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by CRS
CDC reccomendations for Zambia

I would start here. Then find a good travel physician.

CRS....thanks....bob

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When my wife and I went to Zambia in 2018. Malaria prophylaxis, tetanus update, typhoid, and yellow fever. We both already had Hep B vaccinations. Being in the medical field I was able to take an extensive first aid kit which I left for the camp as part of the tip.

I did not look at the current CDC recommendations, but is always changing and we were there 4 years ago. A good travel Doc will steer you in the right direction.

Depending on your covid status and vaccination views.... something to consider.

Arcus Venator
B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

crs.....I have looked at the cdc...unless I am reading it wrong it dosent seem to recommend? the yellow...I am going through joberg didnt show it for there either.....not saying I read it right.

bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just got back from Zim, Zambia, and Nam.

Other than carrying Doxy for TBF and malaria, I don't do anything special. Hep A & B are good for everywhere including the US.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
That’s my usual too.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobMt

crs.....I have looked at the cdc...unless I am reading it wrong it dosent seem to recommend? the yellow...I am going through joberg didnt show it for there either.....not saying I read it right.

bob

When we went, we were right on the edge of yellow fever map. Got the vaccine being cautious. Was recommended for Western and Northwestern provinces. Not needed for Zambia anymore. If you are hunting right next to Angola or Congo, I would consider it.

Arcus Venator

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 59 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,531
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.