Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
That's great! Gotta use what you have. It worked once, no reason not to again using same recipe you used then. And my wife wonders why I hang onto so much "stuff"!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bobcat85
That's great! Gotta use what you have. It worked once, no reason not to again using same recipe you used then. And my wife wonders why I hang onto so much "stuff"!

Yes Sir, with the uncertainty of the times it's a good idea to hang onto components of any kind old or new...Little did I know back then those would come in handy some 40+ years in the future..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
500 old Remington shot shells....the ones with the fiber wads in the bases which are what the 157 primers were made for.

A few years ago I was gifted a couple hundred old Remington SP hulls and decided to use up the Rem 57's in my stash. Took a bit of trial and error to prevent damaging the fibre base wads during depriming on a MEC loader. Most of them lost all or part of the basewad upon first firing. Did not try for a second loading.

Should worst come to worst and all I have left was 57 size primers I will try Labman95's trick with the tape, should work fine in an O/U.

Michael

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Being gifted these older primers and shells made me check my reloading notes from 47 yrs ago. The guy who gifted me these supplies was also my mentor who got me started reloading shot shells. We both had Mec 600's. He showed me how to adjust station one to pop the primer but not imprint the fiber wad on Remington SP(green), field loads(black), and Federal(maroon) beyond making them unusable after a second firing, but still resize the brass...low or high wall. This position also was accurate for the Winchester full plastic shell. Without making any adjustments to the Mec from 47 yrs ago, I found this setting still worked!. I'm now set probably for life with shells and primers using this old stuff! My double barrel and Savage 720 semi cant tell the difference. Now I've got to see if the rabbits and birds can!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
youll get blowback with just tape. avoid.
theyre tight for a reason. a charge goes forward, not backward. tape? lol. i can see that powder sifting down around the primer OD now.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
just squish em in a bit harder until they fill the primer pocket.... smile

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
right. lol.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Being gifted these older primers and shells made me check my reloading notes from 47 yrs ago. The guy who gifted me these supplies was also my mentor who got me started reloading shot shells. We both had Mec 600's. He showed me how to adjust station one to pop the primer but not imprint the fiber wad on Remington SP(green), field loads(black), and Federal(maroon) beyond making them unusable after a second firing, but still resize the brass...low or high wall. This position also was accurate for the Winchester full plastic shell. Without making any adjustments to the Mec from 47 yrs ago, I found this setting still worked!. I'm now set probably for life with shells and primers using this old stuff! My double barrel and Savage 720 semi cant tell the difference. Now I've got to see if the rabbits and birds can!

This +10

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The small size primers are useful if you have some 3 inch 20 gauge or older Remington 410 hulls to fill.
The soda straw trick, while tedious, does work.

I have a good quantity of these, PM if interested.

HM

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 37 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.