Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've taken a liking to them. I bought along with the nice Savage EG (also posted in Savage Forum). I installed a period Redfield 3X9 and these are the results with three different bullet brands, Winchester, Federal and Norma. Not bad in spite of a crappy trigger. The gun is very clean. (better pic on the Savage forum)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I too love the 88s. They are the reason I got a C&R license many moons ago when I found out they were all C&R regardless of year. Also they are one of the few guns that the post 64 is actually better than the pre 64 mechanically (not so sure about the basket weave checkering though). Triggers aren’t the greatest but they are pretty accurate

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm guessing .308 Win. I've had every caliber they come in and still have a .284 Win and custom barrel .358 Win. There was a gunsmith in California (I think Rogue River) that worked on 88 triggers. I had my .284 done. It is better but still not great. That being said it is as accurate as any bolt action of the era.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Shot my biggest whitetail with a M/88 .308, I've owned every caliber except .284.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have 4 of them, 2 rifles and 2 carbines, all chambered in 284. I don't care for the pistol grip geometry, too straight for my taste on the .88, but it works fine on the 100.

Lever actions are primarily an American thing, but Sako's Finnwolf shows us what the 88 could have been.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Lever actions are primarily an American thing, but Sako's Finnwolf shows us what the 88 could have been.

and currently cost a couple grand more.

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Here is my pre-64 88. It's just about as clean. Also in 308. Regarding the pre/post 64 differences, I read/saw somewhere where the only difference was the stock. Perhaps one of you guys can shed some light ?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
There was an article by John Wooters I believe that explained the differences. I will see if I still have it laying around. He also had a custom full stock 88 that I would love to reproduce.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
There was a company in California that customized the 88s and specialized in improving the trigger pull as much as could be. They were the ones who stated the post were better to work on but I can’t remember why. It was an old article. They did beautiful work though. Going on my old memory so I may be full of crap

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

and currently cost a couple grand more.

True, but you can't take it with you when you die, so you might as well enjoy the fruits of your labors while you are able to.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by pacecars
There was a company in California that customized the 88s and specialized in improving the trigger pull as much as could be. They were the ones who stated the post were better to work on but I can’t remember why. It was an old article. They did beautiful work though. Going on my old memory so I may be full of crap

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...47375/all/Winchester_88_accurizing_Rogue

Last edited by kk alaska; 04/15/22.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by jorgeI
Here is my pre-64 88. It's just about as clean. Also in 308. Regarding the pre/post 64 differences, I read/saw somewhere where the only difference was the stock. Perhaps one of you guys can shed some light ?

Googling ‘LeeRoy’s Ramblings Winchester Model 88’ will shed a lot of light on the differences.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
magazine is flush on the post 64 and sticks out a bit on the pre for one difference off top of my head

guns to me are like legal crack
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Originally Posted by pacecars

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...47375/all/Winchester_88_accurizing_Rogue

Bingo! Didn’t they become the California Rigby?

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a gunsmith work on both a pre and post. He commented how much easier the post was to deal with then the pre but didn't elaborate.

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Went to the range yesterday to see how the 88 liked 180 Winchester Power Points (above post shows 150gr results). Even though the POI changed as expected, accuracy was pretty damned good:

My 100 on the other hand, didn't like them AT ALL, but it does very well with 150gr Federal High Shoks (three shots!)

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Pinging on the question of differences between the "pre '64 and post versions of the Model 88". If literally limiting to that comparatively 'high Ricter Scale" landslide shift between many Winchester models, the Model 88 got off 'a bit easy'. The reason that a child of the latter fifties in original design, many of the 'econo' savings were already built in! Also, the retail price considerably exceeding a model 94 lever for instance, the 'price to pay of such as the .308 Winchester chambering and its "ilk", far more wiggle room afforded as "yet profitable".
The large noticeable difference was the stock! Much like the Model 70, the "impressed checkering era" and indeed correctly termed as "impressive" but favorably; no one! By 64, most all "original design and specific cartridge nuance particulars" as long worked out. The "metal finish problems particularly inherent to the 'post' era model 94, about entirely avoided if to view the two 'era' rifles next to one another. In other words, in visible/otherwise noticeable changes, about only the wood! From typical "understated svelte" to "gaudy"!
Winchester the Firm, in broader perspectives, seriously seeking every possible production cost savings available. The Model 88 as a platform along with the Model 100 in semi-auto, as "noble experiments. The 88 with rise and fall in about decade & half altogether. The central concept of a lever actuated high power rifle really about a "noble experiment". Sales falling to "so-so" as the enigmatic Model 94, for all its "post era" problems, considerably more popular! A situation almost surely Winchester failed to ever originally contemplate. Also, the Model 88 in chamberings "competing" with the Model 70, also a decades proven rifle of considerable reputation. Self-competition has to be reconciled in positive sales numbers on both sides of the dual models & chamberings equation. 'That', not working out! The Model 88, died! Moreover with nary a significant 'blip' on general Winchester buyer radars! Today, to say the 88 either a "collector rifle" or "cult rifle" not fair. But remaining a "specialty model" to be enjoyed by a definite specific following.
I'm with two such, both in .308 Win. One a '57 vintage and by then 'most all' growing pains worked out. My early '68 Model 'first year' of the "88 Carbine" & without SN letter prefix. For me, 'it', the entire model wide sweet spot as 19" barrel, plain stock & barrel band!

Seconding the tech info referral suggestion: "Leroy's Ramblings" resource as Models 88 & 100 info saturation! smile : https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20Articles/winchester_model_88_100_info.html

Best!
John

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Excellent information, thank you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 1956 w 3.5-10
Shoots 1.5” groups w 110gr noslers

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I like guns | optics | fishing
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cabela's in Green Bay, WI. has a pre-64 M88 .284 in their collector room for like 2k (920) 264-0140 fyi.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,439
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.