-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was told today that a snakebite vaccine exists for dogs. Not an antivenom mind you. This is supposed to protect dogs from venomous snake bites.

I lost one dog to a timber rattler bite a few years ago and almost lost another one before that. And, judging-by what we're seeing already this year, this is going to be a banner year for vipers around here.

Was wondering if anyone has had their dogs vaccinated for snake bites? What's the process, how effective is it supposed to be and all that.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Had a friend that had two wiener dogs that got them the vaccine. It works, his dogs have been bit a couple of times and survived. They still have to go to the vet however they survived, the vet said prolly not without it.

Good luck, if I lived in snake country I’d do it.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Lost a good hunting dog to a rattlesnake a few years back she was vaccinated however the venom load was too much took one on the shoulder and one in the hip from a very large wounded snake

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My grandfathers dog was bitten on the nose by a copperhead. Laid on the porch for 24 hours and recovered completely. Dog vaccines are news to me.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I get mine vaccinated for it annually. No bites of which Im aware but I figure why take the risk.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Due to the high incidence of rattlesnake bites on dogs here in our area of Wyoming, both our vet offices highly recommend them. They are inexpensive.
When we took our two pups in for their vaccines last year, the vet had seen nine rattlesnake bites in a week. Our neighbor almost lost his very expensive horse a week later. It was bit on the nose and the nostrils swelled shut. The horse went down on them. Luckily the grandaughter noticed it out there and called. They had to put 1" tubing in the nostrils for a week, along with some meds. He made it. Apparently horses don't do well mouth breathing. We had four rattlesnake encounters last summer, two very close to the house... like off our porch step, so we decided to give the pups the best chance they could have if nailed by a snake.

Last edited by 280Rem1; 05/03/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DMc
My grandfathers dog was bitten on the nose by a copperhead. Laid on the porch for 24 hours and recovered completely. Dog vaccines are news to me.

Rattler bites are more life-threatening from what I gather.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Be aware the only snakebite vaccine for dogs is to combat bites from the Western Diamondback. We don't know its efficacy against other types of rattlers, but it would be logical to assume it should help with those that are primarily hemotoxic.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
We have thought about it...but have not.

If you are really worried about it...get a dose of antivenom.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hard to get antivenom around here. Tractor Supply used to carry it but not anymore, aroundnhere at least, and the vets will not sell it.

I guess I've got to-do some investigating. Had an old Heeler that was great at finding vipers around the house and letting us know but he passed from old age last Thanksgiving Day. He never got bit but boy coukd he find them and alert us.

These two puppies I have now, one Lab and the other a GSD ... I'm worried they'll rush right in and we've already killed a canebreak and two cottonmouths this year this early. Local herpetologist says he is getting a lot of calls and warned us this may be one of those years because we had no winter to speak of, no hard freeze at all, and they came out early and are hungry.

Plus I don't know about y'all but the coyote kills we've had for the past few years has really caused a resurgence in rabbits ... they're frickin' everywhere this year. Herpetologist says that means the snakes are going to habe plenty to eat along with the normal rats and mice around the chicken houses.

I gotta get these dogs vaccinated. I'd hate to lose either of these puppies to snakebite. The GSD especially ... she is full bore nosey and inquisitive about everything and is fearless. She's the one I am most worried about and she is my service dog.

Thanks for all the insight/input men. Much appreciated.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Much better to train your dogs against contact with snakes.

I train my own, and they know the word "Snake!" and respond.

You couldn't catch one of my dogs if you were holding a snake. They know it's danger, and serious.

I've seen mine alert to snakes and get my attention as well. They know what one smells like too.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Give it to mine every year but they’ve never been bit. For $30 why not.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We relocated 3 timber rattlers last year around our cabin due to them being on a protected species list here in the state. From what I’m hearing snakes are already out in numbers around here. I’d don’t think I’ll be relocating them anymore. Hate to see them disappear, but I have 4 pups I think of more.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nothing personal, but "relocation" IMO means a good blast with an appropriate thumper that relocates them backwards a smidge. Then for the shovel and trash can.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
No kidding?

That's crappy the vet won't sell it.

Vet here will. Says to give it myself or bring the dog and the antivenom in and he will do it.

I am MAGA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,508
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.