Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#17218660 05/04/22
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was out in Matlacha Pass FL on Sunday in my yak. I tossed down a mangrove shoreline and hooked a snook. It pulled me into the mangroves before I could get control of him. The fish was on one side of a mangrove branch and me on the other. He crashed me straight into the bushs and I broke the tip section of my Orvis Zero Gravity 8wt that I been fishing with since 2007 or there abouts in two places.

I got online and checked out their warranty and repair policy and got it shipped out to Orvis. So we will see how that goes. Under their 25 year warranty they say they will repair or replace it will equal quality for a $60 shipping and handling fee. Since its a discontinued model and wasnt produced for more than about two years I even wonder if they will be able to repair it. The ferrule on the tip middle section was cracking as well and I included that on the repair order. Its my first time sending a fly rod back to Orvis.

I should have known better than to cast down the mangroves while in a yak. Oh well it gave me a chance to look at all new rods . I did catch a few seatrout on the flats on the way out to the key I was fishing and did land two small snook before the crash.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well that sucks! The Orvis guarantee is a good one I’ve heard. Have 3 Orvis rods two are over 25 years old and are still used.
Keep us posted on what happens, please. I, for one, would be interested in the outcome.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SS336
Well that sucks! The Orvis guarantee is a good one I’ve heard. Have 3 Orvis rods two are over 25 years old and are still used.
Keep us posted on what happens, please. I, for one, would be interested in the outcome.

I will. 4-6 weeks they claim to get it back. Lucky I got another good quality 8 wt to use until Orvis handles this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Hope it can be fixed. On the down, their lifetime warranty years back on the early fabric waders was a serious mistake. They had to abandon that one.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well Orvis notified me they received my 8 wt. We will see how it goes from here.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Despite all the cut-throat business mentality taking over companies these days, I think that Orvis still retains their old school mindset when it comes to both their pride in product and their customer service. Their ability to respond - as quickly as they used to twenty years ago - may not be the same, but I think they will make it as right as they can, and probably more to your benefit if an equal one for one replacement is no longer possible.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well I got a notice a few days ago that Orvis was able to repair my 8 wt. its on the way back to me. Be glad to get it back. Hopefully its fixed. We shall see this Friday. I may fish Sunday but not sure if Ibwill use the 8 wt. probably hunt tarpon with my 10wt.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Received my rod back from Orvis repair. They were unable to repair my rod so the sent me a new ZG Helios. Which I believe was the next generation after mine. Noticeably lighter.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds like Orvis treated you right. 👍 That is good to know, customer service can be a bit of disappointment nowadays. Let us know how you like your new rod.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SS336
Sounds like Orvis treated you right. 👍 That is good to know, customer service can be a bit of disappointment nowadays. Let us know how you like your new rod.
I think they did treat me fairly. Not to be taken as a complain in anyway but I would liked to have been told they couldn't repair my rod and given the opportunity to pay additionally to upgrade for their newest top of the line model. But again they honored their bargain and I will probably really like the Helios. I did really love my zero G.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always been a fan of Orvis for over 25 years.

So for $60.- Orvis honoured their warranty and replaced a rod broken not due to any manufacturing defect but rather through user error? A rod you took pleasure in fishing for 15 years and Orvis sent you a new and improved version?

If it were me I would fish the ZG Helios rod in good health.

I'm still casting my HLS rods from the 1980s and bringing them in on geared 3/4 Battenkill reels from the same era.

ENJOY! smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by olgrouser
Always been a fan of Orvis for over 25 years.

So for $60.- Orvis honoured their warranty and replaced a rod broken not due to any manufacturing defect but rather through user error? A rod you took pleasure in fishing for 15 years and Orvis sent you a new and improved version?

If it were me I would fish the ZG Helios rod in good health.

I'm still casting my HLS rods from the 1980s and bringing them in on geared 3/4 Battenkill reels from the same era.

ENJOY! smile
Correct and I will surely enjoy it.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I replaced two HLS with Helios the same way with a new warrantee.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Im about to see how the GLoomis warranty stacks up to the Orvis. I got a broken 8wt 3 piece Cross Current and an about to start the process.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good luck !

"We don't rent pigs"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Look at the good side of this.

Most guys break equipment stepping on it, slamming it in doors, and assorted other dumb stuff. You broke yours actually using it. Even if it was 100% completely unsalvageable, I would mount it on the wall, and consider it an example of times living right.

Get another one and go on.

I don't mind scratches, dings, and marks on my gear that have been accumulated in the field. They are marks and reminders that I have been enjoying things that are more important than chasing a dollar.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Look at the good side of this.

Most guys break equipment stepping on it, slamming it in doors, and assorted other dumb stuff. You broke yours actually using it. Even if it was 100% completely unsalvageable, I would mount it on the wall, and consider it an example of times living right.

Get another one and go on.

I don't mind scratches, dings, and marks on my gear that have been accumulated in the field. They are marks and reminders that I have been enjoying things that are more important than chasing a dollar.
Oh I’m sure I wont let it hold me back any. One thing I got is plenty of 8 and 9 wt rods.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was an Orvis dealer some years back, and they always prided themselves on customer service. Good to see they still do.
I still use an old Orvis “all rounder” that I love. Wife has one as well.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,928 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.