Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I'm new to surf fishing, having only done it once this past March and I loved it! I'm going to add 2 surf rods for which I already have spinning reels (Penn Fierce 5000). I'm looking at these Berrypro rods and I've never heard of the company. Can anyone speak to their quality? I'm also considering Okuma Longevity or CS-S rods. Anybody have recommendations?

Thanks,
kstockfo

GB2

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Or maybe I should ask, what would you recommend for under $100 for a 10' 2piece medium-heavy Spinning surf rod for a beginner. As stated before, I already bought 2 Penn Fierce reels (5000 series) that I got on clearance at Walmart.
Thanks,
kstockfo

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
What are you fishing for and where? Are you casting a lure or are you bottom fishing?

I cast a 2 1/2 or 3 oz. lures for Blues, Strippers, and Bonito on Cape Cod. I use 11' and 12' rods with 20 lbs. test. The best rods that I have are Cabelas rods, but I don't see them available anymore. I bought an 11' Cabelas Salt Striker a couple of years ago that I love. I also have an old Penn that has real good action. Most of my rods cost about $120.00 to $150.00 each for somewhat of a gauge.

I don't know anything about the brands that you mentioned, but you might want to look at these.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/offshore-angler-power-stick-surf-spinning-rod-100828890

https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-...wJF_dv5skG5zOYwbc_43GdLKyfkaAofXEALw_wcB

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Thanks for the info. I fished for a week in March of this year in Destin FL (gulf of Mexico), and that's the entirety of my experience, so limited at best. I fished for pompano and caught 4, also caught some hardhead catfish. I expect to go to FL for spring break in March/April for the next several years and want to continue fishing for pompano, but also hope to catch redfish, black drum, whiting, and whatever else the ocean offers.

I bought a $90 combo to start and it served me well as a newbie. I added a Penn 5000 ($70) and Penn Squadron III rod ($60) from Walmart after catching my first 2 pompano. I am hooked! Want to add at least 2 more rods because I have 2 boys that will be fishing with me, and eventually a girl when she gets out of diapers.

I fished almost exclusively set rigs with double drops, but I would like to do some topwater and some Diamond jig fishing in the future for spanish mackerel, ladyfish, and whatever else.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks,
kstockfo

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not familiar with the one you posted, but for around a $100 bucks the Okuma Rockaway series surf rods are a nice option. They are pretty popular here on our coast for surf perch fishing. I have a 10 footer that I've been using a couple years and its been good.

https://okumafishingusa.com/products/rockaway-surf-rods

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm not sure how big those fish are, but most of the stuff I catch are between 24" to 36". All I can say is that you get what you pay for. I'm not saying to go out and spend $500, but if you get something over $100, I think that you'll see a difference.

Good luck and enjoy.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have some TIKA TS3 rods I bought that are great graphite surf rods. 9 ft 2pc are around $100 and 10 2pc are $150. I bought four of these to take for my family to use in Hatteras, NC. I have a few custom rods I use but needed some inexpensive set ups for the crowd. I did do alot of casting with them and I was impressed at the price.
I was on a few surf forums back then and the guys on those forums were recommending them so I bought them.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by kstockfo
Thanks for the info. I fished for a week in March of this year in Destin FL (gulf of Mexico), and that's the entirety of my experience, so limited at best. I fished for pompano and caught 4, also caught some hardhead catfish. I expect to go to FL for spring break in March/April for the next several years and want to continue fishing for pompano, but also hope to catch redfish, black drum, whiting, and whatever else the ocean offers.

I bought a $90 combo to start and it served me well as a newbie. I added a Penn 5000 ($70) and Penn Squadron III rod ($60) from Walmart after catching my first 2 pompano. I am hooked! Want to add at least 2 more rods because I have 2 boys that will be fishing with me, and eventually a girl when she gets out of diapers.

I fished almost exclusively set rigs with double drops, but I would like to do some topwater and some Diamond jig fishing in the future for spanish mackerel, ladyfish, and whatever else.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks,
kstockfo

Very nice.
If you want a rod for just soaking bait in the surf, the Penn Battalion or Penn Prevail 11-12ft can serve you well. The Battalion has better guides, but I haven't trouble with my Prevail. $100-120
For casting lures, popping corks and macks, I would recommend a M or MH 7ft rod.
The drags on the Fierce can be upgraded with the HT-100 carbontex drag washers and improve their function kind of to the Battle lineup level.

I have a Shimano Voltaeus which is a freshwater rod, but has handled slot reds and specks without problems. Pretty much the only inshore rod I use for lures and catching baitfish.
My kids all have entry level rods, which have been going on for several years. Wash them down with freshwater after each use. I also take the reels apart if they get dunked. My oldest now has a used Daiwa SS1300 reel bought on ebay, which is the same reel I use in my rod. I have that spooled with either 15lb or 20lb J-Braid (can't recall)
The larger rods have a Daiwa BG5000 and a Penn Battle II 6000 (approximate the same size reel despite the naming), both spooled with 30lb braid (Jbraaid and Spiderwire) and topshot of 20lb Berkely Big Game 20lb, to handle abrasion from sandbars.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
For pompano and whiting all you need is a light to medium action 6 to 6.5" bass rod as those are relatively small fish that we here in NC catch in very skinny water.. If you want to throw out for blues I'd recommend a 10' to 11' spinning rod. I have a (maybe) Diawa I got at BPS several years ago. Been a good one.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I use a Okuma Cedros, 10’6” to surf fish the Panama City Beach area. Pleased with it.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 3,005 guests, and 1,405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,659
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.