Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by shinbone
What is a surprise, though, is that I am seeing a lot of new rifles coming onto the market chambered in .325 WSM in the last year. Anyone know why this sudden resurgence of the forgotten and niche .325 WSM?

Nope. The round is as dead as the proverbial dodo bird. What you're seeing is mfg's clearing out rifles they couldn't sell.

The 325 was a dumb move... Olin should have legitimized/standardized the 338 WSM. The 325 does nothing the 300 WSM didn't already do, and do better.

I agree. They really hyped it up though, but a lot of us saw right through their bull schidt.. They claimed it to be faster than the 300wm and hit harder than the 338wm all in a short action rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I like my Montana in .325WSM . Great shooter and have taken it to Canada and Alaska.
Don’t really care how it stacks up against other rounds. It does a fine job killing critters for me. I’ve never had to shoot any critter’s twice.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
I like my Montana in .325WSM . Great shooter and have taken it to Canada and Alaska.
Don’t really care how it stacks up against other rounds. It does a fine job killing critters for me. I’ve never had to shoot any critter’s twice.

That’s about all that matters.

Mines decently accurate as well for the little I’ve messed with it.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by beretzs; 05/04/22.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Dead. The most popular was the 300WSM and even it is in decline. Add the very dead Ruger 300RCM and 338RCM to the list. I love the 338RCM but it's like an salmon that swam upstream and spawned, it's stinking dead.

Oldpine,
That 338 rcm sure was a treat to yah, and all left handed shooters alike.

Of all short action mags, i too like the 338 rcm the best. An open sighted, medium-bore carbine has alot going for it. The 338 RCM, even more:
It weighs no nore than a 30-30 model 94 carbine, can fit four rounds in the magazine.

No rebated rim or too steep of a shoulder angle, they reliably cycle in crf actions slow or fast.

61 grains of extruded powder for a 225 grain bullet, or 55 grains for a 275 grain a-frame, they have sufficient case capacity.

What they are not, is Hornady's claim that the 338 rcm is a ballistic equal to the win mag, from carbine barrels. Pure bllsht.

Hornady shouldve been more realistic about the ballistics. They shoot a 225 grain bullet at 2650 fps, bout the same velocity as a 338 win mag can shoot a 250 grain bullet from a 20" barrel.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Dead. The most popular was the 300WSM and even it is in decline. Add the very dead Ruger 300RCM and 338RCM to the list. I love the 338RCM but it's like an salmon that swam upstream and spawned, it's stinking dead.

Oldpine,
That 338 rcm sure was a treat to yah, and all left handed shooters alike.

Of all short action mags, i too like the 338 rcm the best. An open sighted, medium-bore carbine has alot going for it. The 338 RCM, even more:
It weighs no nore than a 30-30 model 94 carbine, can fit four rounds in the magazine.

No rebated rim or too steep of a shoulder angle, they reliably cycle in crf actions slow or fast.

61 grains of extruded powder for a 225 grain bullet, or 55 grains for a 275 grain a-frame, they have sufficient case capacity.

What they are not, is Hornady's claim that the 338 rcm is a ballistic equal to the win mag, from carbine barrels. Pure bllsht.

Hornady shouldve been more realistic about the ballistics. They shoot a 225 grain bullet at 2650 fps, bout the same velocity as a 338 win mag can shoot a 250 grain bullet from a 20" barrel.

Yes the package is a dream for a lefty and the open sights make carrying it easy peasy.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Since one is unlikely to use an 8mm short mag to shoot squeaks or yotes, I see no reason to despair, once a supply of hunting ammo is secured. That 1885 would be easier than many to switch cartridges on later if that interests you.

Pics would be appreciated by the single-shot crowd, if you have any handy.

Happy to share a photo. I had visions of using it for elk hunting. But, despite being an excellent shooter (and good looking, as well), its a little heavy to be carrying around in the elk woods.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't see a resurgence, but I quite like the .325, and pretty much anything in 8mm.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Since one is unlikely to use an 8mm short mag to shoot squeaks or yotes, I see no reason to despair, once a supply of hunting ammo is secured. That 1885 would be easier than many to switch cartridges on later if that interests you.

Pics would be appreciated by the single-shot crowd, if you have any handy.

Happy to share a photo. I had visions of using it for elk hunting. But, despite being an excellent shooter (and good looking, as well), its a little heavy to be carrying around in the elk woods.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

That’s a handsome rifle for sure, as are the others posted here. I agree with you on the weight, and so do my knees, which have seen better days. “We” are toting lighter ones nowadays for the most part.

Thanks for the pic.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Perhaps part of the decline was the Jameson royalties, which I believe are soon to expire hopefully bringing a resurgence. For me I sure do hope they keep releasing rifles... I never got to acquire one of the Highwalls and I am currently looking for an XPR compact in the chambering.

STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...62/photos-of-my-caribou-hunt#Post1646462

Some people will hate the 325wsm some will love it. The post above is a hunt i did in 2007 with a Kimber Montana 325wsm.

randy..
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Esteban325
Perhaps part of the decline was the Jameson royalties, which I believe are soon to expire hopefully bringing a resurgence. For me I sure do hope they keep releasing rifles... I never got to acquire one of the Highwalls and I am currently looking for an XPR compact in the chambering.

Does anyone know when that's supposed to happen?

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I had one in an A-Bolt and liked it a lot. I found the narrow and small but pad area on the A-Bolt kicked me more than I liked for precision shooting..seemed to get worse when I hit 60! So I sold it. However fine caliber and with a bit greater expansion ratio you can get a bit more raw horsepower than the 300WSM. That's just physics. Great caliber and as brass is available now stock up...you can convert 300 WSM so no despair there either.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Someday I hope to fire a properly head stamped round in my rightfully low priced example of said cartridge. Go down a mm and you've de-rubbished a rifle with real promise.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS
I looked at it pretty hard when it came out, and passed. Do not see me changing my mind.

I think the 338 would have been the way to go. To heck with whatever velocity some corporate schmuck was pining for.

That wasn’t what doomed it. The 7mm flopped majestically.

No 338 cal rifles are popular now. It was dead before it was even designed.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I own a Browning Mountain titanium and a Kimber 8400 in 325wsm. It forced me to finally take up reloading. I’m very pleased with both.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have a .325 WSM that I bought around 2005. I bought it not so much for the chambering, but because I really liked the rifle - an 1885 High-Wall reproduction. I have never hunted with that rifle, but it shoots extremely well, and the ballistics of the .325 WSM seem really good. But, despite being a fine cartridge, the .325 WSM seemed to fade away over the years, probably because 8mm is not very popular in North America and it doesn’t have the wide range of bullet selections that .30 and .338 have. Not a surprise.

What is a surprise, though, is that I am seeing a lot of new rifles coming onto the market chambered in .325 WSM in the last year. Anyone know why this sudden resurgence of the forgotten and niche .325 WSM?

Those 325's in the 1885 are not the most common.

Enjoy.

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Vinootz
I own a Browning Mountain titanium and a Kimber 8400 in 325wsm. It forced me to finally take up reloading. I’m very pleased with both.

I have a couple of the 8400's in the 325. Definitely easy carrying rifles. I have not shot them in awhile. But they seemed to like the 200 gr TSX DoubleTap factory loads. I need to hand-load some and play with these some more. I had one of them cut to 22-1/4". To me it is a bit more handy.

I have also accumulated a couple of New Haven stainless M70's in 325. One of these was a Super Grade that had been ported with large shark gill slots. I had those cut off. I think it is about 22-5/8" now.

I still like the cartridge. But, I like 8mm's and short actions. If you don't, you won't.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Nope. The round is as dead as the proverbial dodo bird. What you're seeing is mfg's clearing out rifles they couldn't sell.

The 325 was a dumb move... Olin should have legitimized/standardized the 338 WSM. The 325 does nothing the 300 WSM didn't already do, and do better.

I was going to say, "resurgence" from the dead, or what?? Not likely going to happen. OP may be cornfused..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
OP, here.

At about the time that I originally started this thread, there were over 30 factory new M70 rifles in .325 WSM on GunBroker. Below is just one example.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/960733675

It’d been a long time since I’d seen even one new .325 WSM on Gunbroker. Thus, the question.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I havent seen a short mag rifle for sale in a long time

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
794 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 12344mag, 007FJ, 79 invisible), 3,178 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.