-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I run a agm ×power on my boat and a sreaperate 100ah lithium for the trollin motor......trolling motor, I don't have tied into the charging system I use a solar panel system that I lay out ( 20hrs day light helps lol) never ran the lithium down far enough that I wouldn't be back home to plug iit back in! [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]gif upload

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, I'm with you !

& I possibly do a little fishing !!

All I can think of, to help you, is to suggest going to lithium (& probably multiples) for the deep cycle.

Comes at a significant cost increase, too !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Minn Kota has a battery charging system with a separate alternator for trolling motor batteries. Both charge while motor is running.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by m1919

This is the system I use.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7610/SI-ACR_Automatic_Charging_Relay_-_12_24V_DC_120A

The question of how fast you will charge your battery bank is just math. You can get fancy and install a shunt with a meter to know what your battery has lost and gained.

this is probably what I need. this is for going to lake powell. we normally have about 8 hours of engine run time and 3 days of fishing with, like I am saying 8 hours of run time mixed into that driving around the lake. that should be quite a bit of time to add some extra charge into the trolling battery I would think. we would use the trolling motor to skirt rock outcroppings and hold position. so its not like its constant used while fishing. probably 25% duty cycle with poles in the water.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Lake Powell is exactly where I use my Sportsman 1000. Pull up next to the houseboat in the evening, fuel and start the Sportsman, then head for happy hour. In the morning, the sportsman has run out of fuel, the trolling motor is fully charged, and I'm off for another full day of hauling in smallies, walleye, and stripers. No stress, no troubles, and all for half a gallon a night.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No idea how it worked, but in the 90s the trucking company I drove
for set us up a 3 and 1 battery system. The trucks had 3 starter batteries
and 1 deep cycle. When the engine ran, it charged all 4.
When it was shut down, the electrical system ran off the deep cycle.
That allowed lights, refrigerator, bunk warmer...to be on, but you
wouldn't have to worry about cranking the engine in the AM.

Providing you will run the engine enough, your situation sounds
exactly like what I'm describing.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Lake Powell is exactly where I use my Sportsman 1000. Pull up next to the houseboat in the evening, fuel and start the Sportsman, then head for happy hour. In the morning, the sportsman has run out of fuel, the trolling motor is fully charged, and I'm off for another full day of hauling in smallies, walleye, and stripers. No stress, no troubles, and all for half a gallon a night.

that would cause a problem for me. the most awesome thing about lake powell is when evening sets in all the boats flee off the water. you get silence and peace and quiet like few people ever get to even experience. you have for a window of time an experience as if everyone on earth is dead but you are the only living life left. its these moments I crave. a generator despite how quiet would royally F this up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They make a device for RVer's that will automatically disconnect the main battery when it reaches a certain level so that the RV may still be started. I don't remember the name of the device, sorry.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I literally cannot hear this thing running if I park 100 ft down the beach, even at Powell. But you make your own choices, sir.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by m1919

This is the system I use.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7610/SI-ACR_Automatic_Charging_Relay_-_12_24V_DC_120A

The question of how fast you will charge your battery bank is just math. You can get fancy and install a shunt with a meter to know what your battery has lost and gained.

this is probably what I need. this is for going to lake powell. we normally have about 8 hours of engine run time and 3 days of fishing with, like I am saying 8 hours of run time mixed into that driving around the lake. that should be quite a bit of time to add some extra charge into the trolling battery I would think. we would use the trolling motor to skirt rock outcroppings and hold position. so its not like its constant used while fishing. probably 25% duty cycle with poles in the water.

That will work if you have a 12V trolling motor with one battery. If you have a 24V trolling motor with two batteries connected in parallel you need something like this:

https://yandina.com/troll12X24info.htm

Or this:

Minn Kota Alternator Charger

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Guys use these (or similar) here for off road lights and accessories on trucks. Charges both batteries and but one battery remains dedicated to the starter.

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/800...KaCUXFns0hXfHrIMIDJoI-PsGiEaAp_LEALw_wcB

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

Semper Fi
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.