Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Has anyone used the lightweight aluminum Talleys on a .338 Win Mag on a long-term basis? Thinking of swapping over the steel mounts to the lightweight Talleys on a 9lb Model 70, but not sure if they will take the recoil. The scope is 1" 12.7 oz, Talleys would be low but with the dog-leg on one of them. Thank you.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Has anyone used the lightweight aluminum Talleys on a .338 Win Mag on a long-term basis? Thinking of swapping over the steel mounts to the lightweight Talleys on a 9lb Model 70, but not sure if they will take the recoil. The scope is 1" 12.7 oz, Talleys would be low but with the dog-leg on one of them. Thank you.

They worked fine on a 7 pound model 70:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I don't know why they wouldn't work on a heavy model 70 338wm? I later switched to a better set of rings and bases (Leupold PRW) though, when I switched over to a Zeiss Conquest..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
What's the point of using lightweight mounts on a rifle which will still be heavy? GD

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by greydog
What's the point of using lightweight mounts on a rifle which will still be heavy? GD

Yeah, you really aren't saving a lot of weight. If you want to lighten a model 70 up, try a Mcmillan edge or Brown PoundR. The reason I switched mounts on my lightweight 338wm is because I wanted something more sturdy. Not that I had any issues with the Talley's, I wanted something more robust so I did not have to worry about failure down the road.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in the same boat. Used the Talley lightweights on a couple rifles- 300 win mag and a 338 WM but wasn't sure if they would hold up and didn't want to find out on in the middle of a hunting trip so I changed them out to steel rings and Warne steel weaver style bases...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The McMillan Edge is not recommended by McMillan for .338 Win Mag. Using lightweight Talleys is one of several modifications to make a heavy rifle a bit lighter, don't want a .338 Win Mag much lighter than 9 lbs including scope. Quite pleasant to shoot at that weight.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 05/04/22.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Sheister
I'm in the same boat. Used the Talley lightweights on a couple rifles- 300 win mag and a 338 WM but wasn't sure if they would hold up and didn't want to find out on in the middle of a hunting trip so I changed them out to steel rings and Warne steel weaver style bases...
Yep, that's the problem once you get around 338 WM. The stocks often can't take the recoil and split, the lightweight mounts aren't recommended and you even have to wonder whether steel bottom metal is safer than aluminum. Especially when you use 250s or more at around 2800 fps.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 05/04/22.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I would not use Talley lightweights on any heavy recoiling rifle. They may work fine until they don't.

The McMillan Edge is not recommended by McMillan for .338 Win Mag.

Under the old Mcmillan regime I had an edge stock built for a Sako 75 that was 31 ounces complete.I called them and they said recoil was the reason. I contacted Rick and it went back to Mcmillan.

There are no caliber restrictions on a Bansner stock at all and it weighs what a Mcmillan edge does.

The stock I ordered was for a Sako 75 in 7mm Remington mangle man.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 05/05/22. Reason: added cartridge
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I've given up on the Talley LWs. Their steel mounts are outstanding, the aluminums not so much. I've had them break on a .308 and and a .300 WSM. Both sets were properly torqued.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Verrrry interesting. For a while those Talley Lightweights were all the rage here on the fire.

Originally Posted by pabucktail
I've given up on the Talley LWs. Their steel mounts are outstanding, the aluminums not so much. I've had them break on a .308 and and a .300 WSM. Both sets were properly torqued.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Did you run it by Talley?

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Yeah, they replaced the first set. When the second set went TU, I considered it a lesson learned and didn't bother contacting them. Had I been thinking I would have used the broken crap to negotiate for a cut rate on a set of their fine QD offerings.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had a set on my Abolt .338 for over a decade now, never had a single issue with them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a ring break on my 300 WM. I’ll be honest, I don’t know if it occurred due to the recoil of the gun or possible another gun hitting it in the safe. Either way, Talley took care of it and I’ve not had another problem. I’ll also say this, I’ve had Leupold and Burris steel rings break on lesser recoiling rifles as well. Those broke while actually firing the gun at the range. Each set that has failed in the last 12+ years were torqued according to manufacturers specs.

Last edited by Hudge; 05/05/22.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Got em on a whelen, 340 Wby, ulw 300 Wby and numerous other rifles, Pards got em on lw 300’s 338’s blah blah blah never seen a failure

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have used them on my 375 h&h for years no problem with hard use. The owner of Talley runs them on his 375 h&h. He told me no problem as well. He wasn’t limited to choices? Anything mechanical can and will fck up. Make your own choice, your rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lapped and properly torqued, especially with a light scope (which is a bigger issue than the recoil) they should be just fine, but their are better choices. My.338 wears their steel Screw Lock Detachable rings and bases.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Riflehunter

The light weight of the scope you are using will help a lot...

Talley LW’s are what’s on my .338 M700 XCR and have been for 500 rounds or so. They’re on all my hunting rifles. My scopes are heavier than yours... I’ll believe the Talley LW problem when I see it; all they’ve shown me is excellence.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,838 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.