Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
My friend wants to plan a Diy elk and maybe mule deer hunt for 2024, he wants diy otc tags and backpacking. It sounds like a lot of fun and a lot of work, both to get in shape, scout, and in execution. This is in the just talking phase of the trip. So I’m looking to glean as much information as I can from your experiences. Especially those that found themselves in a similar boat starting out

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Only 2 states have OTC for elk Idaho and Colorado and only Idaho has OTC for both.
start researching those 2 states pick 1
Pick a unit and get to it

Last edited by XBOLT51; 05/04/22.
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Great thanks for the heads up

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by XBOLT51
Only 2 states have OTC for elk Idaho and Colorado and only Idaho has OTC for both.
Idaho has quotas on non-res deer and elk OTC tags. They go on sale Dec 1 for the following year and are usually sold out very quickly.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
That the rag horn you called in and passed on might have been the only bull you'll see within bow range the next 5 days.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Idaho has quotas on non-res deer and elk OTC tags. They go on sale Dec 1 for the following year and are usually sold out very quickly.

It's still OTC just a first come first serve basis

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Montana and Colorado actually have elk. Something to consider.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We have hunted Idaho every year for the last 42 yrs the state has
Accounted for some of the biggest mule deer we have harvested
Montana gets the nod for our biggest whitetails and elk

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

I’m pretty sure that Oregon and Washington have OTC tags for Rosies as well. 😉

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Nestucca

I’m pretty sure that Oregon and Washington have OTC tags for Rosies as well. 😉

Totally forgot those 2 my bad.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am pretty sure Utah is also an option for OTC. It may be resident only, but for some reason I am thinking maybe not.

I grew up hunting general season OTC elk and never have only been on DIY hunts, so my situation is a bit different than the OPs. If you think you're in good enough shape, get into better. This isn't necessarily just to kill an elk, but to get the darn thing out.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I’m pretty sure that Oregon and Washington have OTC tags for Rosies as well. 😉[/quote]

Might have to check both of them out one year
but right now we have our hands full squeezing in time for hunting the 4 western and 4 eastern states we hunt now

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I am pretty sure Utah is also an option for OTC. It may be resident only, but for some reason I am thinking maybe not.

I grew up hunting general season OTC elk and never have only been on DIY hunts, so my situation is a bit different than the OPs. If you think you're in good enough shape, get into better. This isn't necessarily just to kill an elk, but to get the darn thing out.

All I think of when people mention Utah is Mormons another state that holds some really big elk and mule deer
Guess I was focused on the ones we hunt the most

So to the op I apologize for posting inaccurate info
I totally blanked on the 3other states mentioned

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And yes it is a lot of fun they real work begins once the game is on the ground

Last edited by XBOLT51; 05/04/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Irving_D
My friend wants to plan a Diy elk and maybe mule deer hunt for 2024, he wants diy otc tags and backpacking. It sounds like a lot of fun and a lot of work, both to get in shape, scout, and in execution. This is in the just talking phase of the trip. So I’m looking to glean as much information as I can from your experiences. Especially those that found themselves in a similar boat starting out

You will be money ahead hunting private in Texas.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
actually right here in montana even though its not otc for non reidents has excellent hunting if you can draw a tag dont let the locals fool you
the state might not have 30 inch bucks or 350 inch bulls all over but it still has decent hunting, its not all doom and gloom here like they want you to think it is , and the wolves havn't killed all the game thats another load of horse manure this state does hold some big elk and deer

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Ha I know I'm not in good enough shape, we all have dreams of trophies, I will be happy with whatever legal animal puts meat in the freezer

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Line up a rental horse or two for the packing. At the least line up an outfitter or someone to come in after the elk is down to pack the elk out.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you plan on hunting anywhere that's listed or known as a "Migration Area", then sit on your thumbs until you get definitive confirmation that big snows are imminent. Then haul-ass for your hunting spot. If you're unable to be that flexible with your time off, then research for an area that has a resident population.

Migrating elk are not much different than migrating waterfowl. When the migration is on in the area you're hunting, there will be opportunity. If the elk are either not migrating, or have already mostly moved through the hunting will be very difficult. It's all about timing and numbers.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You don't need a horse to pack put an elk, get a good pack frame . Plenty of elk get packed on folks backs instead of a horse, they are just big deer.

Have the expectation to see more people than elk on your first hunt, if going OTC.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,106
Posts18,464,235
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.